Al-Jazeera a Zionist Plot!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Anthony, Dec 3, 2004.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Just like Mani claiming credit for the Achaemenids. Go for it Alex.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A ten minute session on google does not a historian make.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I, myself, have decided to claim the achievements of the following groups:

The Hittites
    The Ostragoths
    The Sumerians
    The Tongans, and
    The Inuit

That about covers it.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fool! You forgot the Etruscans!

Who influenced the early Romans? I did!

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Since this thread has become a educational session on Iranian history, I would like to quote the concluding paragraphs from two chapters in my own work on the subject. The purpose here is to connect the history -- and particular the recurring theme that shows Iranians clinging so strongly to their separate identity -- to the modern reality in Iran.

Excerpt from Chapter 3 of Persepolis 2020:

And from Chapter 4:

Which then leads up to the fictional parts of the work with following passage:

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post. I was particularly taken by this bit here:
    Years ago, while in grad school, I went to see a job talk for a Middle Eastern Studies position in the History Dept. (I wasn't in the History Department, but my Indonesian teacher knew the guy and told us it would be well worth attending, which it was.)

I'm sorry I can't remember the guy's name, but he talked about the Ayatollah Khomeini's move (in the eyes of the general Iranian population) from exiled cleric to dominant representative of Iranian identity as having been accomplished in part by his skill in depicting the Shah as a Westerner, which allowed the Iranians to rebel against the Shah without rebelling against the throne and Iran itself, thereby.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, the Al-Jazeera investigative reporter Yosri Fouda was part of a panel discussion of Al Qaida in Washington DC last week. Not only was the guy extraordinarily intelligent, rational and clearly well-respected by the scholars there (some of whom were US Intel researchers), but he had something to say about Al-Jazeera's place in the Middle East. He argued that the regimes in power in that region reviled Al Jazeera because it provided a consistent counterpoint to the state-controlled presses. Saudi Arabia, in particular, has kept Al Jazeera out of the country (and even began Al Arabiya specifically to compete with it, IIRC) but, he said, the average Saudi citizens were acting as stringers and calling up with their own reports on what was going on in the country.

Okay, that was every bit of the two cents I had to add on any discussion of Al Jazeera.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought everyone would like to know that Mani neg-repped me for this.

Despite the fact that I tried to be civil, despite the fact that I thought we were just having a disagreement, despite the fact that I have shown interest in Iranian culture on the Iran board in the past and he responded positively then (when I was being deferential to his greater knowledge of certain things Iranian)--he's handing out neg-rep just because I was part of this discussion. Even though I was just kidding with Coach.

Honestly, that's just pathetic. And you know what, Mani? I'm NOT returning the favor. I only neg-rep people on this board when they're being racist or hateful, in general, which you weren't doing. I didn't think you were doing anything but missing my point and maybe not making your well enough. I'm sorry you feel the need to piss away whatever report we had before. But I know now that you're a thin-skinned little **********, and I'll remember that from now on.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember--did anybody mention "Control Room" in this thread? I just finally watched it over Thanksgiving holiday.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Just think, if you'd said Arabs instead of Etruscans, Mani might have asked for you to have a card. ;) :D :p

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    A thread about subversive Jewish control of Arab media promptly morphs into an in-depth academic discussion about Persian history.

Only on BigSoccer.

12. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No, that's not the reason.

You made inaccurate assumptions about several historical facts and when several users, not just me, spent their valuable time sharing their knowledge with you, then you, instead of moving on, tried to make up for your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand by making a mockery of those users, their posts and their facts with sarcastic comments like these::

Now that's not polite.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    At least your skin is thick enough to handle neg rep without freaking out. :rolleyes:

Next personal attack in this thread may see red. I'm really getting tired of this.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What color is the sky in your world? What information was I not accepting (your selective use of wikopedia doesn't count)? And who (other than you) was I mocking?
    As I pointed, I've even asked YOU for information about Iran, and I was pretty goddamned gracious about it, too. But the minute I don't agree with you, suddenly you imagine that I'm stomping around the board, insulting posters left and right. Get over yourself.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, go right ahead. If people like Mani can just go around neg-repping anyone who disagrees with them (what personal attacks was I handing out prior to this?), then getting a red card for complaining about it should just about be par for the course.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol: So what? I get repped for damn near every post I make and I don't care! Why don't you stay on topic? This post is about how Al Jazeera media are terrorists... respond on that? Nobody cares whether you get neg-repped...deal with it and stop your whining!

Now... can we exile all Al Jazeera reporters as confirmed terrorists?

IntheNet

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do you act like you've been shot every time someone neg reps you? Just to be clear, no one said anything about cards for complaining about neg rep, although that's a good suggestion.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get neg-rep as well--once from you, I might add (and I think I probably returned the favor). That's not the point. It's not a big deal--someone I know was killed in a house fire this weekend, and a family friend is losing the fight against cancer. Trust me, I've got bigger things to worry about than getting some neg rep.
    If it was an issue, I would have posted in 'Suggestions and Announcements' or some such thing. I was involved in a discussion/arguement with Mani, nico, Iranian Monitor, etc., and I thought it was lame that he did that. I didn't expect everybody else to get involved. But thank you so much for your typically thoughtful and enlightening input.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read my above post. Or don't.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry bigred... I have never repped anyone, pro or con!

Condolences about your friend/housefire... that's bad....

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you're right--it was a PM, not rep.

And, well, thanks for your condolences.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Sorry to hear that too BR.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bless his/her soul. Sorry to hear that.

Lets just move on. This thread has passed its prime.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, we seemed to have reached the 'sell-by' date. Clean slate as far as I'm concerned. :cool: