Akron Zips 2022

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 26, 2022.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 1-0 DUQ FT

Zips grind out a victory against a quality side. Arguably the best performance so far this season. Pretty even the first frame; Zips got most on the ball in the second. Shout out to Captain Willie Jax for a really gritty shift at CB!

3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 4-1 NIU FT

Zips score own goal in last 90 seconds to ruin Budler’s clean sheet. Contest not as close as score. Captain Sammy Tojaga returned to starting lineup after 2 years recovering from injury.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't remember the last time I saw NIU being this bad. Could have been 8.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, am glad to no longer see the Markanich brothers in Huskie attire.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BGSU 1-1 AKR

Another ugly match at Bowling Green. What can I say? There will probably be another one just like it next year.

These two sides clash again in 11 days. There is no love lost among them.

8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 fknbuflobo, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    CSU 0-8 AKR FT

Chicago State playing on a local high school's field, for some reason.

10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think that sometimes they have played at the Ray & Joan Kroc Stadium at the Salvation Army. They now play home games at the Brooks College Preparatory HS down on the south side a few miles from campus.

I am somewhat surprised that Chicago State is able to maintain an intercollegiate athletics presence, particularly at the D1 level. They really should move down a division. Not only are the facilities poor, the academics are also and are more in line with a lot of D2 or NAIA schools. Actually, there are quite a few D2 schools with better academics than CSU has. The women's soccer team is probably worse than the men's. Since its inception in 2014, the women have a 6-135-3 record! I would not count on the CSU men as being a long-term side in the MAC.

I asked this several times in this thread but haven't yet gotten an answer. Is Gyuwon Chong done for the year? It seems as if he probably is. I have not seen him appear in the box score. It really sucks and it is still unfathomable that Michigan State's Howe did not get a straight red.

In other news, Caleb Porter was fired from the Crew yesterday.

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Last year they played their games at what was Toyota Park in Bridgeview. Probably got a little expensive. They switched from baseball to soccer a few years believing they could get more bodies to attend the school with soccer with a more diverse population than baseball. They have a roster of 32 as the school has really struggled with attendance. They need soccer to bring bodies to the school. They are D1 in name only. Their basketball team funds the department with guarantee games $$$ at the beginning of the year.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I wouldn't imagine that Caleb would seriously consider returning to Akron for the following reasons:
    1. It would seem to be a step backward for his career. He would have lifetime security, but does it fulfill his ambition? I don't think so.
    2. Caleb is a very loyal person. I think he wouldn't want to hurt his friend and former asst, Jared E.
    3. He has a year remaining on his CBus contract which should be paid out. So, financially he should be ok for a while.
    4. I think that he would have many offers if he's interested in the very near future. I could see him take his time and possibly start seriously looking in the summer.
    Just My Opinion, I have no inside knowledge on what Caleb is going to do. I do say that I was very surprised that he was fired - sure I know about the 2 years of missing play-offs. But, he was right there in the past 2 years. There are a lot more coaches boarding on incompetency.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyuwon Chong is recovering post surgery from home while attending school remotely. He is expected to rejoin his teammates in the Spring.

BigRedFootie and PlaySimple repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who now is going to be HC for Crew?!? Juergen Klopp? Pep Guardiola? Zinedine Zidane? Crew have made a big mistake in firing Porter.

16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if Caleb Porter ever returns to College Soccer.

PlaySimple repped this.
  17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    You're probably right. It would need to be a perfect situation, for example, I think he would have a serious think if IU was available (but I don't see that happening anytime soon) possibly Michigan could be interesting. A big school with plenty of funding, good atmosphere with a team under-performing.

From a MLS perspective, Atlanta, NYRB, NYCFC, LAG (probably not) - but it would need to be total control for him to be interested.

18. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you for the update.

From what I saw of Chong, he seemed like a special player. He was a very big loss for the team.

I know that referees have a difficult job. That said, the referee that made the call when Chong was injured had an egregious lapse in judgment by not giving Howe a straight red. I am hopeful that he was disciplined in some manner or had assignments curtailed but that is doubtful.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  19. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t see him doing anything right away. I also believe that he currently has no capacity in US Soccer and I don’t see that changing.

I agree that it would be doubtful for Porter to return to the collegiate game. One school that immediately came to mind when talk of the collegiate game came up is Ohio State. The Buckeyes currently have Hoosier alums Brian Maisonneuve as the HC and Matt Foldsey, also a former Zip before transferring to IU, as an AC. I don’t see Maisonneuve going anywhere right now, though. Also, he is in his 5th year and seems to be finally getting the program turned around somewhat.

Negatives about Ohio State men’s soccer is that it has never seemed like a big thing. They’ll have a decent year or two and then slip back into mediocrity. Also, not having a dedicated soccer facility for a school with that kind of money seems ridiculous. I absolutely hate watching matches at venues that are also used for track & field. It’s a detached experience.

This is a thread about Zips soccer so sorry about getting it derailed a bit by mentioning Porter.

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JoeSoccerFan

Off Topic:
    Joe, I have "known" you on this forum for more than a decade and I have appreciated the discourse. If you are going to bother to add that message to the bottom of your profile, well then, I will likewise bother to publicly endorse you for doing so.
    As a student of History, I know a demagogue when I see one.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to set the record straight: The Spartan player who egregiously ended Gyuwon Chong's season was #20 Tyler Crawford, Freshman Defender from Lutz, FL. ZipsNation have long memories.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/...pg?width=592&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

22. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WMU 0-1 AKR FT

Quality win for Zips. Western Michigan STILL has no lights on their field.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  23. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. fknbuflobo