Akron Zips 2021

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 15, 2021.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 3-0 RMU

Zips outclass Colonials.

2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 2-1 PIT

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That was a fun one. Some silly afters at the final whistle that required some police intervention, but it was a soccer fight after all.

5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best side does not always win.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's...interesting.

7. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    fknbuflobo & Timon, it would be appreciated if your comments were expanded on. Were the extracurriculars that needed police intervention between the players or fans? Or the players and the fans? The game would seem to be a good result for Akron but fknbuflobo’s comment seems to imply that Pitt was the better side.

8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match was very chippy throughout, almost from the first whistle. There were lots of unnecessarily hard tackles. I call these intimidation tackles. Post match extracurriculars were relegated to players, though both benches cleared. Not much beyond pushing and shoving, really.

And yes, I thought Panthers were the better side for most of the match. They controlled midfield possession and were quite dangerous in the final third. They narrowly missed scoring several times.

MOTM Zips' GK Will Meyer logged a career performance. He was stellar. I hope pro scouts were watching.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It was 150 yards from me and fairly brief, and bunches of people were getting up to leave and then sort of frozen by it all...probably lasted 30 seconds or so, but it did draw a couple of the cops in. It seemed to resolve itself relatively quickly. Had it happened at the east end, it might have been different.

Looked like all players to me.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Soccer fight, like I said :)

I mean...it was really even for my money, even if Pitt had the possession that Akron is accustomed to. Akron's counters were very good. The first 10 minutes solid of each half were all Pitt, though. What was amazing was how frequently Pitt was offside, including a guy who was literally only 2 yards on the other side of the halfway line. That tells me that Akron's backline was really clicking.

If they had, they would have noted that he has absolutely no left foot and that some of his clearances were utterly terrible. Making saves, yes, he was pretty great. Distribution against a really good press was completely awful. There were multiple completely boneheaded giveaways. He's a senior. He really needs to get that shit together quickly, because a modern keeper needs to be more than a really good shot-stopper. I don't think IU will be as wasteful.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems as if the Zips are playing relatively well in the early part of the season. With a lot of new faces, I really didn't expect them to beat the Panthers last night.

Two of the next three games are vs Indiana & Marshall. Those matches should be a good gauge of where the team is. The match vs Ohio State in Columbus, on September 15, should not be as difficult as those vs IU and the Herd. I will be working in Columbus next week and am going to try to take in the game vs Ohio State if my schedule allows it.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I didn't expect it either. I was rather pleasantly surprised.

Man, what a brutal schedule. As I understand it, OSU doesn't charge for attendance, which I find mildly amusing.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. Free parking and admittance.

14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year, making the trek.

15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    when you get 110,000 paying $100 a ticket no need to collect $500 at a soccer game.

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No, but it's still amusing. I also think Ohio State would easily draw more than 50 people if they charged.

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    my thoughts were 100 people at $5

18. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #94 PlaySimple, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Not to derail this thread, because it is about Akron soccer and not admission fees to Ohio State sports, but there are a lot of sports at Ohio State that don't charge for admission.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/bucks-on-us/

I've been to events at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium and it is a nice venue. It's not soccer-specific. It's also used for lacrosse and track & field. It also has a grass surface and is not synthetic. Because it is a track facility, the bleachers are set back a bit so spectators are not quite as close to the field as some facilities, i.e., Akron. Still a nice facility, though.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I went to OSU. They charged for men's soccer at Jesse Owens when I went there and for at least a little time after. At least sometimes.

It's still amusing. Several years ago, Akron brought several buses worth of people down. OSU missed out on some pretty good revenue.

PlaySimple repped this.
  20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't give a mummer's fart about admission fees to Buckeye MSOC. That is next week's business. Right now, I cannot see past Hoosiers (and all those stars) coming to town on Friday!

21. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #97 PlaySimple, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    I really wish that the game vs IU was on Saturday.

I’m going to be working in Cleveland and Columbus next week. My mom lives in Bratenahl and I will be staying with her when I’m in Cleveland. Unfortunately I need to be in my office in Chicago on Friday and it will be impossible for me to be in Cleveland. If the the game were on Saturday I would come early just to go to the game. It should be a good one and it’s going to tell a lot if Akron is as good as I think they are. If they can win at least one of the games vs IU and Marshall, they’re in good shape.

I’m really looking forward to the Ohio State game on Wednesday.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't charged since 2017, since I've been attending some of their matches.

There's also not great crowds there. Charging would dwindle it as well. Student attendance overall in the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana region is poor. Was at Pitt and WVU over the last 5 seasons and they didn't do any better with attendance either.

As class as Louisville's facility is, their student attendance is terrible.

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    cough*cough* you look like you're coming down with a bad cold on Friday!

PlaySimple repped this.
  24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Students get in free for most Olympic sports, right?

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.