Akron Zips 2021

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 15, 2021.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As with any organization, identities of those who have contracted COVID-19 is private information. Not sure I agree with that policy, since it is a matter of public health. But this is consistent across corporations and institutions throughout our nation. All this to say that I have no idea how or why Akron MSOC is so stricken.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 1-3 NIU

Zips have seven missing to COVID-19.

And we thought 2019 was season from Hell!

Sandon Mibut and BigRedFootie repped this.
  3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stphnsn repped this.
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AKR 3-2 WVU 2OT

Hardly quality soccer , but very competitive nonetheless.

Zips again with seven out of roster. And NOT the same seven from previous match! What is going on here!?

5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's cruel when it happens that late in the game, with just two minutes left," Mountaineer coach Dan Stratford said. "Although, it wasn't like we were trying to hang on at the end by any stretch. In fact, I thought it was quite the opposite. I thought we had the better of the game throughout, quite honestly. The stats will likely support it and so will the possession, I would anticipate. I have to give credit to Akron, they're a quality team. That was a great game of football, really, and I wish we didn't have to be on the receiving end of an unfortunate result."

6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "That was unbelievable, the guts, the heart, I hope people appreciate how special that was," Akron head coach Jared Embick commented. "We have had guys train two days since March 17 having to play minutes, guys just grinding it out, nowhere near full fitness from what we have been having to go through. To gut it out, to grind it out, to stick together and play, I hope people really realize that probably was one of the most special efforts I have ever seen from a team. I'm incredibly proud."

7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I urge anyone remotely interested to watch this video clip.

bhoys repped this.
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BGSU 1-0 AKR OT

Zips thoroughly dominated by Falcons.

9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never say things cannot get worse. Zips jumped from the 2019 frying pan right into the 2021 fire. This has been a barely mitigated disaster.

Akron MSOC has been a negative case study on horribly mismanaging a pandemic. Or they have conducted COVID-19 testing by the book, strictly following all testing and reporting protocols, whereas (perhaps) competitors have not. Or maybe Zips have been the victims of extraordinarily bad luck. I suspect it has been some combination of all the above.

The net result is that Akron has yet to field a full squad in 2021. On a schedule even more compressed than usual, Zips have lacked starting players in every single contest. Most often a mere 14 or15 players dressed. And it was rarely the same 14 or 15 from the previous match.

Zips will most likely miss the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row, after attending the Tourney for twelve straight seasons 2007-2018. Last time Zips missed two years in row was 1999-2000 when Ken Lolla was coach. Zips have missed the Tourney only a handful of times in program history.

The good news is that next season is but a few months away..

JoeSoccerFan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Akron fans, what is going on with the Zips?

It seems as if there has been a lot going on with some decent players transferring out and a lot transferring in. I've also not seen an official announcement of the incoming class but know that Sam Harter, Skye Harter's younger brother, and a decent keeper, will be playing.

I was most surprised by Pol Hernandez transferring to Xavier, Marco Milanese to UNC Greensboro, and Colin Biros going to Syracuse. Hernadez and Milanese both surprise me more than Biros. Xavier and UNC Greensboro occasionally have decent sides, and Xavier did beat the Zips two years ago, but if both want to play at the next level I would think that they would do better to finish at Akron. In the case of Hernandez, Xavier has had some alums go on to the pro ranks, Luke Spencer and Nick Hagglund come to mind, but overall, many more Zips have played in the pros. The same for UNC Greensboro.

Biros doesn't surprise me as much. He showed a lot of early promise and is still decent but he seems to have fallen off ever so slightly. Syracuse may end up being a better fit for him but I still view his departure as a loss for the Zips.

What I have been able to tell, these are the transfers in:

F Malik Henry previously at UNC
    M Ryan Kingsford, Harcum College
    D William Portman, Louisville
    F Samuel George, Ottawa Arizona
    M Renato Kauzlaric, Massachusetts-Lowell
    D Tobias Bak, Muskegon Community College

Transfers out:

D Natnael McDonald to Mercer
    M Colin Biros, Syracuse
    D Marco Milanese, UNC Greensboro
    D Pol Hernandez, Xavier

Overall, is this viewed as a net loss or a net gain for the Zips?

What can be expected of the Zips this upcoming season? The past two years have been particularly rough for them. Two seasons ago they imploded and last year there were some glimmers of promise, a victory of National champions Marshall being one of the highlights, but the team was particularly hit hard by Covid as were many other teams. Is everything copacetic in Akron or is it a program in decline?

Lastly, I feel like the MAC losing West Virginia, even with the additions of Georgia Southern and Georiga State, is a really bad thing for MAC soccer. What I would like to see happen is for Marshall to come back to the MAC, or Akron to go to Conference USA or the Big 10. The Big 10 sounds far-fetched but Johns Hopkins is an associate member for lacrosse and Notre Dame for hockey. The chances of Marshall coming back to the MAC also seems a bit remote. The most likely scenario would be for Akron to go to Conference USA but the Zips will not leave the MAC for CUSA or the Big 10, as long as there is an auto-bid for the MAC. Actually, the Zips won't leave even if there isn't an auto-bid as long as there is MAC soccer.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    fknbuflobo, I saw that you repped my post. If you have any comments/insight about what I asked, that is if you know, I would enjoy reading it.

15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to ruminate, give a measured response. You had me at the Johan Cruyff quote. The Grateful Dead is a nice bonus, giving you a pass for the Manchester United thing.:sick:

The University of Akron is struggling in general. Since the Zips were MSOC champs in 2010, we have had (I think) three new Presidents and two new ADs. Maybe more. Organizational instability leads to poor management. Examples of this are ubiquitous and innumerable. Executives are not held accountable for poor strategic decisions because their tenure is too short. It is difficult to keep an excellent program like Zips MSOC unsullied from the overall stain that is currently UA. Every little support budget, the funds that go unnoticed if not unreported, has been either reduced or cut. Everywhere. But this is temporary. Hopefully sooner than later, a President with vision and integrity will lead us out of this mess.

About MSOC specifically, the Zips have had a run of bad luck in recruiting. Program resources had been allocated to players who perhaps did not warrant such investment. When running a mid-major program, the margin of error is much thinner than at a power conference school, one having all the built-in recognition and marketing. A school like Akron must be better at recruiting and developing talent in order to compete at an elite level. And they usually are. But make a few significant mistakes, and the recovery can be slow and painful. That is where we are now. Marshall Thundering Herd winning a championship is not the norm. Stanford Cardinal winning a 3-peat is more likely than a mid-major taking the cup once.

COVID-19 was especially cruel this last Spring (to all of us really) as a promising Zips squad never competed as a full roster. Zips either suffered amazingly bad fortune, or they mismanaged the pandemic in spectacular fashion. There are those who know the truth, and they ain’t talking.

I will detail the roster moves in upcoming weeks, after I watch a few Captains’ practices. You already have the incoming and outgoing lists. To answer your question, I believe the roster overhaul to be a net gain. In the past few years, I have grown to know Marco Milanese and Pol Hernandez a little bit. It is always interesting to converse with global pilgrims, even when they are the same age as your children. Ha! Fact is, both Pol and Marco can be replaced as players. When suffering through back-to-back losing seasons, change is mandatory. Improvement is, by definition, change. I have no intel on any of these departures. But the one defection that breaks my heart is local boy Colin Biros, on whom I have kept track since he was in kindergarten. Colin’s father is the Boys Varsity Soccer Coach/Math Teacher for my community’s high school. Sure, Biros may have reached a plateau in his development, but he is plenty good enough to be an integral part on a good team. Not exactly sure why he is leaving, but I for one, am sad to see him go.

I wish all the best to each departure. Once a Zip, always a Zip.

MAC MSOC would not exist without the Zips. Akron was instrumental in championing MAC MSOC to the other conference members. There is no way Akron will ever leave the MAC (for any sport) without many significant factors all conspiring toward that singular result. It is a shame that West Virginia is leaving, but we can hardly blame them based on how they were conveniently shielded from NCAA tournament by (supposedly) COVID-19 related cancellations. Shameful! Sad to lose WV. It would be really nice to have either/both Kentucky and Marshall return to the MAC. (I imagine most of you have forgotten that Kentucky was once in the MAC for MSOC.)

Expect Akron Zips MSOC to improve dramatically this Fall. They had better! The schedule will be released soon. Per usual, it is a tough one. I know Indiana Hoosiers are visiting. Pittsburgh and Marshall are on there as well. The program is in a rough patch, but not too far gone to recover. We have seen tough times before. This too shall pass. GO ZIPS!!!

PlaySimple, JoeSoccerFan and stphnsn repped this.
  16. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I believe the internationally dominated mid-majors who can put together the best financial packages combining academic, athletic, leadership, international $$$ who can stretch their $$$s through inexpensive housing as well will be the norm not the exception in terms of NCAA success... and if not a mid-major someone who can follow that same path (Pitt). I don't think you will see a Stanford 3-peat again any time soon.

17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    After a hiatus, the Wolverines - Akron game is back! Along with Duke and Notre Dame, Akron will be another tough non-conference game for Michigan. Go Blue!

Real Mobile and fknbuflobo repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club: