Akil Watts at RCD Mallorca

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by LandonDonovan2018, Jan 19, 2018.

1. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    He had a pic of himself in Mallorca’s training facilities on his IG story a couple of days ago. I would think the “unattached” by his name is a clerical error.

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or there's been some paperwork issue that has precluded him from officially signing.

3. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A photo op signing doesn't 100% preclude contract problems.

Here's Emmanuel Sabbi at Las Palmas:

[​IMG]

We all remember Heath Pearce's illustrious career at Bursaspor:

[​IMG]

Hopefully we can account for Watts showing up in official youth games or something. The USSF definitely does not have 100% accuracy in their roster info (Lester Dewee at Marseille, anyone?!) but sometimes the unexpected "Unattached" can be a bad omen.

5. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Those are fair points but it should also be noted that official USSF roster releases aren't the most accurate representation of a player's club situation, hometown/place of birth, position, etc.

6. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    I will say, to promote your point, that he was in Indiana for a good bit after the Mallorca preseason started. Arrived in Spain after they had played 3-4 preseason matches.
    But it is known he signed a contract and is under the club's umbrella. Potential registration issues are currently unknown but not impossible as you have brought up past examples.

7. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Looks like I may have to concede my point. Watts has been back in Indiana ever since the u19-u20 tournament/camp ended.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Watts have a passport from an EU or Cotonou country? If not it's easy to see why there are problems.

9. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    7633AB72-0DB5-4D58-BCA5-8328622629D8.jpeg
    Watts himself confirms he’s still a Mallorca player and will return to the club in a week or two.
    Had a feeling it was just a clerical error.

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FirstStar, ielag, DC_Dave and 9 others repped this.
  11. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Started and went the full 90 again today in a 4-0 win.

TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomo...orca-friendship-with-steve-nash/#1e612a0260a3

Another article about Mallorca, but this one's about Stu Holden, who I didn't realize is a minority owner although it makes sense due to his ties with Nash. In it, Stu talks about bringing Americans to Mallorca, as well as agents contacting him about bringing their players. Mallorca currently sits 6th in the Segunda Division, meaning there's a realistic chance they get promoted to La Liga next year.

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and eliwood repped this.
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Mallorca moved up to La Liga. Mallorca B lost in the final round of the Tercera promotion playoffs. Watts did get a start with the B team late in the season, but he did not feature in the playoffs.

I would expect a move up to the B team next season.

15. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not eligible for U19s anymore. Either way, I think I saw an announcement by Mallorca that he moved up to the B side. Could be misremembering though.

Tom Collingsworth and HS Teacher repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.louisvillecityfc.com/news_article/show/1039537

Watts has signed a deal with Louisville City until the end of the season. He links up with a familiar face, John Hackworth, who coached him at Bradenton.

17. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Too bad it didn't work out in Mallorca. The previous coaching staff thought very highly of him. Hopefully, he hits the ground running in Louisville.

Winoman repped this.
  18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope USL goes well for him. I think he's the level of player where he'll develop more in USL since he'll get minutes rather than rotting away on the bench/reserves for an MLS team.

19. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I don’t know why but if he has a reasonable USL season I see him ending up one of those kids LAFC brings in as depth and just waits on.

20. Andreu Josep

Andreu Josep Member

May 23, 2016
    Club:
    Hercules Alicante
    i keep telling people and people refuse to believe me...The level in Spain is very difficult for american players to transition to senior.
    Watts is yet another example. Without 2-3 season at least at top tier in Spain, transitioning to senior ( 3rd Division or 2nd B) is nearly impossible. To date only 4 American players have managed to graduate from academy level to senior categories. And, it's because they developed mostly in Spain. Maybe going to Germany or Holland may make it easier for the profile player the US academy program produces. I think Konrad may become the 5th American player in History to successfully go from Juvenil to Senior and secure a team in Spain (either in 3rd Div or 2ndB). And, it will be greatly in part to the fact that he has developed in Spain for the last several seasons. I know someone commented to me that Spain's 3rd Div is the equivalent of a "Sunday league." I think people with this opinion are out of touch with the realities of world class football countries and its professional tiers