Ajax - What direction should they go in?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by ArnoldVDH, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ArnoldVDH

ArnoldVDH New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Behind My PC
    There is a message on the BBC forum where someone asks if Sneijder is any good.

The reply is as follws:
    "He was considered the next big thing. But, like van der Vaart he's had a big regression last season. All of the promising Dutch Ajax youngsters of a few years ago (v.d.Vaart, Sneijder, Heitinga, de Jong, etc.) have suffered under the poor management at Ajax.

What Ajax need to do is get themselves a TOP class coach. IF they can find one that's willing to come to such a small and poor club in such a small league. They are still producing the talent like they used to, but they are unable to develop them further."

There is actually some truth in that comment. Having done well to reach the Champions League semi-final a few years ago, Ajax have actually gone backwards since.

They were expected to comfortably defend their title this year, but fell way short of the pace.

And although guys like Van Der Vaart, Sneijder, De Jong and Heitinga are still good players, they certainly have not developed over the past 2 years as should have been expected.

For me there are some reasons for this:
    1. Poor coaching staff, and this is continuing. Nobody can tell me that Blind can take these guys onto the next level.
    2. Guys like van Der Vaart and Sneijder have to much of an ego. I thought incorrectly that with the demise of Kluivert, Seedorf etc we would be rid of such a type of player.
    3. Van Der Vaart captain at too young an age.
    4. Injuries.
    5. Lack of money to attract players who can raise the level.

But for me point number is most important. Where is that top coach going to come from who can mould this team into a force. There is no doubt about the talent, but it needs to be taken a step further.

A good indication of this is that 2 years ago, van Der Vaart was still wanted by the top clubs in Europe. Now, with no disrespect, he has gone to Hamburg. Who wants Sneijder at the moment, and Heitinga is not in the picture either.

How can a club sell their most important striker at the end of the transfer window (Ibrahimovich) and not leave enough time to bring in a replacement.

I agree with the guy from the BBC forum, poor club management makes Ajax an undesirable club to manage, and this needs to be sorted out.

Get your top manager and spend that little bit extra to get the player you REALLY need, and get rid of the deadwood players like Charisteas and Rosales.

2. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I agree
    I think that was my point on the other thread yesterday

A fish rots from the head-
    -they grabbed Van Geel who did a great job with a "small" club but it will take a couple of years to turn things around--he will probably pick his own coach if they stumble.
    Things change fast and faster these days.
    The only constant is change especially in European football where the transfers and the perceptions are so very fluid

3. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Poor management. As simple as that.

And about Blind not the wanted coach. Who would be, Ajax play's a formation that no other team plays. Then a coach with a lot of experience with that formation is more importent imho then a coach who has proven himself at a big club. And Blind has already proven he can make players better with the youth.

4. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Rosales is not deadwood.

5. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree .

About the poor seasons : I blame Arie , he should have left a long time ago . That pr!ck should not have come to Ajax in the first place . Can't stand the guy ! :mad:

6. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I prefer Arie to what we had before him any time.

7. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    :D

Still , Arie sucks