AJAX v. psv - 10/26 [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Feel the love!

I walk in from work and BAM..someone's flat on their back on the pitch bleeding...now that's an intense rivalry or just a match filled with naked rage.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Feel the love!

uh that would be both

so what did you think of your half's worth of viewing a 10-man AJAX?

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My thoughts.

In the words of Darth Vader....

IMPRESSIVE.

That was the Dutch that I was waiting to see. The crowd was nuts @ Philips stadium and both sides were gunning for the full points. After that match, I wanted to grab some Gouda and bathe with it....LOL

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    PSV sucks

Geez, PSV is terrible! They were flopping all over the place whenever Ajax players barely touched them if at all! Where did PSV have their pre-season tour? Argentina? ... Now I know where Rivaldo has been all this time - coaching PSV! I haven't seen anything like this in a long time! No wonder PSV never wins in Europe!

5. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the game tape-delayed on FSW and from what I can tell, VdV was carded for kicking the player who was down--he actually ran over to the sideline where the player was lying and kicked at him. Nothing violent, about as powerful as Becks' famous kick in the 98 WC, but pretty egregious. He has no one to blame but himself.

The ref had a hard job and barely managed to keep things from boiling over. I don;t think he can be criticized for the card he gave to VdV, but he missed some nasty stuff. The Ibrahimovic elbow that took out Hofland (?) was red-worth, in my opinion. And if VdV was red carded for dissent, then Marc van Bommel should have seen about six red cards in the first half alone--he was screaming at the ref so much he seemed coked out of his mind.

All that said, it was a good result for the Amsterdammers--especiallly considering they were a man down and on the road. I liked their grit in twice coming from behind. If anything, I thought they were the better team than psv even in the second half. The psv goals were crap.

6. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    PSV attack just didn't look the same without Kezman. It would be a real loss for PSV if he leaves through free transfer. If I was Hiddink, I might try to find anyone who want to buy Kezman now because there's no way PSV can afford to keep the Serb next year.

7. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    LOL. I think v Bommel is a great player but a whining bi-atch. He is *always* in the referee's face like that, crying like a baby at the slightest provocation, trying to shame the referee into a bias.

Yes, vdv deserved the sending off, and no, the elbow from v Bommel doesn't excuse the Ajax captain's behavior. (Further illustration that vdVaart should not be deputy captain, and just how much invaluable leadership we lost with Chivu's departure.)

v Bommel might have been sent off (or perhaps more justifiably booked) for the elbow, as well. But I don't agree with the Ajax fans who say the ref was terrible. I think it's a nearly impossible, when you get those bench-clearing handbag-swinging situations, to get it completely right.

I *do* think the ref blew it by allowing PSV's first goal, since V of H seems pretty clearly to have kicked it out of Lobont's hands. Whatever. We got the points, the moral victory, and kept our seats atop the table. PSV looked like a bunch of whiners and divers.

And I'll be there in A'dam in February for the rematch. :)

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf? i would say the same thing if i were a psv fan. in the first 20mins alone BOTH teams should have received some yellows. both teams were diving (robben 1st and then raffy), both were kicking at eachother or tripping like crazy, the elbow to lobont, etc.
    this ref sucked both ways. he was equally unfair except maybe for the red. no need to discuss that.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

and the first psv 'goal'

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes i realize that n i believe i alrdy posted that earlier, but ajaxusa and i think um_chili said it wasnt his fault and the atmosphere was too tough to handle, etc.

in my last post i said within the 1st 20mins all that crapp happened, the goal was later, my point was he could of prevented it from getting out of hand. truly he could have in the 1st 10mins with 2 yellows, even before the elbow.

11. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    Its amazing how nobody mentions abrahimovich's elbows that knocked out and hospitalized two psv defenders in the first 30 minutes. those werent dirty??

12. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    What I meant was that I don't blame the ref for red-carding vd Vaart but not someone else in that fighting incident. I don't think the ref had a good game overall; quite the opposite.

13. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    Your representation of those events is about as accurate as your spelling of Ibrahimoviç.

André Ooijer injured his shoulder, and it was the ground that caused that. Kevin Hofland was hit by Zlatan's elbow, but TV footage confirms that Hofland lept into Zlatan's elbow; there was no malicious intent.

But don't take my word for it. Listen to Gus Hiddink after the game: "Zlatan was higher than Hofland. Where else would he have to leave his arm?"

14. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    oh yea, abrahimovich is the billionaire? ahahha but he still threw the elbows

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The first hospitalized PSV'er was surely not Ibrahimovic's fault.

The second one looked like an elbow to me.

Then again, the elbow against Lobont and V Bommel's elbow against vd Vaart weren't penalized at all. And PSV's first goal seemed to have come from a foul (flahsback to last years game in A'dam).

So all in all we can say the ref messed up bigtime and with the 2-2 draw both sides got screwed over equally but none really had to pay a price for it.

16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look on the previous page--I specifically mentioned Ibrahimovic's second elbow (on Hofland) and described it as "red-worthy." (Though I have not seen the replays in as much detail as ajaxusa, who thinks it was not.) That said, AFCA is right--there were plenty of elbows flying on both sides. I don't think you can make much of an argument that either team was better behaved; but it does seem a little unfair that only Ajax was penalized for it with a sending-off.

17. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    UPDATE: The KNVB announced today that the disciplinary committee will start an investigation of PSV captain Mark van Bommel's alleged elbow-hit against Rafaël van der Vaart. The committee decided to start no investigation of the actions of Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Ajax) and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV), which means they will not be suspended.

After the game, here's what Zlatan had to say about the elbow to Hofland: "I no longer do stupid things on the pitch (...) I am tall and I jumped higher than Hofland. I was hanging in the air when he jumped up against me. I went for the ball and I won the air duel. I didn't even see Hofland. I am absolutely convinced that this footage will not lead to a case for the disciplinary committee."

Whether or not you believe him about the lack of intent, he was right about the outcome.

18. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    Ok, but did anyone think that the commentator was a whole lot better this weekend? I thought that was the best part. Do you think he'll stay and replace wheelock?

19. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I dunno - for one match I was pleased with Weelock but to be truthful, I didin't notice the announcer for the last match.

...Maybe that's a good sign - after all, aren't announcers supposed to be a "supplement" to football broadcasting, rather than take that approach of too-much senseless talk just to fill the airspace ?

20. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Well well....

So much for bad karma.

Van Bommel has just been sidelined for TWO MONTHS - not from a possible ban from a KNVB investigation in following up with his tussles with vd Vaart that resulted in Rafael's suspension - but from a groin injury he sustained from the last match against Ajax! (He was, after all, a d!ck in that match anyway [​IMG] )

It's justice served served in its cruelest way.

It's also safe to say that Ajax will not miss vd Vaart during his absence as mush as P$V would miss van Bommel.

Let this be a lesson learned that all that goes around, comes around. [​IMG]

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

see the thing is he didn't suffer the injury in the AJAX match - he was playing hurt and now he's "decided" to have surgery and skip HOLLAND's euro2004 playoff to neatly coincide with his coming suspension - just one more reason to hate psv, i say