No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    lille shouldve had another one. game opening up again

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    tagliafico makes it 3

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Still on the runway... sigh...

1174054609670873088 is not a valid tweet id

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest shows good wheels again to catch bamba and slow down what looked like a developing counter

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  5. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    This is the best match Dest has played. Holy moly he's been incredible.

Although this Sunday away at PSV will be by far his biggest test.

Winoman, Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest with a poor giveaway around midfield, tracks back and breaks up the lille attack near the top of the box

7. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Mazrouai was so good last year and poised for a giant move this upcoming summer... his injuries plus shocking play when actually on the field no one could see.

That said-- Dest took his spot too (for the time being). Dest has been very good while Maz has been horrible when he's played.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ajax gonna have to go in a real slump for Dest to see too much bench after this. reviews have been pretty good.

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Are you implying Ajax is going to be butt hurt that he chose the US over Netherlands and not play him as much? In which case :rolleyes:. Or are you hoping once he commits to us they'll keep playing him and developing him for our (as well as their) benefit?

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The latter of course. The rope may grow somewhat shorter after he does. It's happened before.

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    It is 100% to Ajax' benefit for Dest to play for the US. They've made a concerted effort over the last year to make inroads in the American market. Friendlies here, opening an office in NYC, a full page ad for Dest around the country today.

From a marketing standpoint, I bet the Ajax execs are praying he plays for the US. The technical staff might be hoping he plays for the Netherlands because of the travel to the US and wear/tear. Then again, Ajax have lots of South American players + Alvarez so they can't care that much.

12. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mazraoui choosing Morocco did not hurt his Ajax's career.

Gacm32 and freisland repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax could care less whether Dest plays for the US or the Dutch NT. Their only concern is how he performs in an Ajax shirt. Darn solid performance tonight marred only by a couple of give aways. I think he was also surprised when he had the ball on a breakaway and was caught behind by a speedy Lille player.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dest starts on the left again. Real force on that side.

UniversalAdvice, Gorky and comoesa repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He played exclusively as right FB tonight.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sorry my friend, I watched the TV in front of a mirror. Must be how US coaches watch him play as well.

TarHeels17, randomnoise, LouisZ and 5 others repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last year I never really expected Sergino Dest to be a defensive answer to a counter team in the CL. Another great competition from him tonight!

Winoman, Gacm32, dougtee and 2 others repped this.
  18. Ziyech also acknowledged that Ajax had got away well with the 3-0. "Just before the break we lost control of the game," he said. "And again in the final phase. Then we also give away opportunities. That will have to be better against PSV on Sunday. But I have faith in that game "We have to approach that game as a meeting in the Champions League," said the playmaker who had himself replaced against Lille as a precaution. ,, I had some problems with a hamstring. I didn't want to take a risk.

freisland repped this.
  19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Not wrong. Should’ve probably been a 3-2 win for Ajax

20. ChicagoVT, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  21. It's an excellent analysis and parts of it should be food for discussion in here.

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I got out of Google translate, I agree. However, I think a lot of nuance is lost in that translation, so will be hard for serious discussion here without a better translation of those portions.

Winoman repped this.
  23. I see what I can do when I can find time. ...if my translations will be better that is:D

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. upload_2019-9-18_15-10-17.png
    L'Équipe rating of the players.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Definitely. It sounds like he gets high marks for his attacking forays, but isn't perfect. Yet, he also seems to have good chemistry with other Ajax players in attack, and that speaks well for his future PT. OTOH, he is much weaker defensively, a downside he shares with other backs in the Ajax pool. It does seem like much of the issues from this match were about concentration and positional awareness. Given that Ajax are accustomed to making deep runs in the tournament, one issue is that better, more aggressive teams will punish these lapses. So, if he really wants to stand out from his competition, one way to do it would be to work hard in the coming weeks on sharpening his defensive skills. Become a more rounded two way player, and Dest can maybe lock down the starting spot.

Winoman repped this.