No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Found a piece on him from a week ago on the official Ajax site. Here is the link and I will copy-paste the translation directly from Google, so don't judge me for the grammar here.

Dest: 'Youth teams of Benfica are very strong'
    It is a special period for Sergino Dest. The 17-year-old player of Ajax O19 recently made his debut for Young Ajax and will go to the Concacaf Cup with the United States next month. But first Tuesday afternoon the home game with Benfica O19 awaits in the UEFA Youth League. '' It's great that the race is sold out. ''

This afternoon the UEFA Youth League-match with Benfica O19 is on the program. What do you expect from the competition?

''I expect a very tough race. The youth teams of Benfica are very strong and we have to be extra sharp to get the profit. Because that is our goal: 3 points. We want to finish first in the group. It is great that the race is sold out, because that has not happened this season. A sold-out match is a good experience for us. "

Ideal scenario for later?

"That we start sharp and make 1 or 2 goals in the 1st quarter ... Then we have to make sure we keep a clean sheet , I personally hope that I can cause a threat and maybe make a goal or an assist. that I stand in the front. "

How did your debut debut at Jong Ajax on Friday and how do you see your perspective at Ajax at the moment?

"It went pretty well, especially the attacking part was fine. On the defensive level I have to be sharper at the crucial moments. That is a learning point. Furthermore, Ajax has a good plan with me. It is getting better and I expect, when I go on like this, that it can go fast. But you do not know, we're going to see it. "

What do you think of the position change from right back to front left?

"Right back is still my best position. On the other hand, for my development it is good that I am at the front. In this place I learn to act faster and it helps me to become a modern back. Although I still have a long way to go and I still have to grow a lot, I do have the potential to get Ajax 1. Coming back to the position in the front, I just want to play. I'll be fine as long as I make minutes. "

Soon you will go to the Concacaf Cup with the u20s. First of all, what does this tournament mean exactly?

"It's actually a bit like an European Championship, but in a certain part of America. We play against a few countries, and I have to be honest; they are not the best countries. From the semi-finals you will find stronger opponents such as Mexico. That is a good team and our biggest rival. The goal is to reach the last 4, because then we qualify for the World Cup O20 in Poland next year. We prefer to win the Concacaf Cup next month, we are also the titleholder so something is expected. "

Are you excited about it?

"I'm really looking forward to it. It's nice to make minutes for my country. In addition, I find it super important to show me internationally. At that level it goes a bit faster and it feels, to be very honest, even a little bit different. We have a number of excellent players, but it is important that they are all there. Because according to me, not everyone is released by his club. "

How do you rate your own chances in playing minutes?

"I am positive about that, the past competitions I have always stood in the base and it went fine. In addition, I expect to make many minutes and to be important to the team. In terms of position, I do not care, it depends on where the team needs me. In the right back position, I try to make as many offensive actions as possible and to be dangerous. If I am not in the basics and we are behind, then I can also act as an attacker. With my quick actions I can force something. "

Timothy Weah, former teammate, also plays there. What is it like to see him again?

"First of all, I'm glad I always see him when I'm there. At his club Paris Saint-Germain he makes a lot of minutes, because of this he plays a lot lately with the main force of the USA and not with us. Honestly, I do not think he is there next month, but we could get the World Cup. Nevertheless, I have always found playing together with Timothy fantastic. "

2. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Sergino, how we wish...

3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A 17 year old right back from the u19's named Jurrien Timber is starting for Ajax Jong today.. kind of weird, no? Unless they just really don't see Dest as a RB anymore, or maybe he is hurt?

4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Is Dest the best dribbler in his age group? Llanez is very good, but other than that I don't know if anyone is on his level.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A nice right-footed cross for the assist and a nice left-footed shot for the goal.

Very nice.

9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal is even more impressive considering he's naturally right-footed.

SCSAutism, Winoman, Gacm32 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played last 15 of 3-3 UEFA Youth League match against Benfica:

11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Highlights:

Really just one moment of note at 7:05 where he beat his man, got blatantly fouled, and still set his teammate up pretty well. I can't wait to see him with the U20s.

Winoman repped this.
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to be with Jong Ajax again tomorrow vs NEC. Also, he will be starting.

13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Created a chance in the 9th minute from a cross.

"The right back for Jong Ajax is one of the best players of the visiting team. In both defensive and offensive terms, he has made an impression."

15. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

He's been subbed off for an "unclear reason"

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only played 30 minutes today because he was dealing with heavy legs from match accumulation. He asked the coach to be subbed off because he couldn't play anymore. He played very well in his time, however. He's leaving tomorrow to join the U20s.

17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest started at RB last night for the US u20s as they locked up WCF qualifying with a 4-0 beat down of Costa Rica. Apparently, Lindsey was tapped to start, but suffered a last minute injury. I won’t go into it, but I think that says more about the coaching than it does the relative strength of the players in question.

He didn’t have much defending to do, but he was strong the few times he was called upon.

As you might expect from a kid at Ajax, he is superb on the ball. I am always impressed with him. He’s so poised and fundamentally sound, and he’s also a pretty darn good athlete. It’s not out of the question that he kicks on in the next couple of years and starts being called into the senior squad. I’ll be suprised and disappointed if he’s not playing decent minutes in the Eredivisie for someone next year or at least making the bench for Ajax.

Watch this space. Kid is way too overlooked by US fans. I think he’s as close to can’t miss as you can get at his age. He wouldn’t look out of place starting in practically any league outside the top 5 right now, bar his youthfulness.

LouisZ, bsky22, Sup Bro and 5 others repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be mostly down to not messing with a rotation that is in form. He did not look like a player just thrown into a squad last night and yes, has always looked good for us.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a huge fan of Dest since the U17 WC. Let me say that there will be big news regarding his future at Ajax sooner than later.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...-sees-huge-potential-for-the-u-s-u-20-team-aj

Recently he has begun the process of moving from the legendary club’s U-19 team to Jong Ajax, which is its second team. He has also even been playing in a more advanced wing position as opposed to right back. As is typical with some Dutch clubs, positional switches are sometimes done not for a permanent basis but rather to help players in their development to be well-rounded players.

“I think it's going fairly well,” Dest said on playing with Jong Ajax. “I just had a game with the second team and I played really well but I still think I have to be better. [Defensively] I gave the left winger too much space. I have to be shorter on him. On the ball, I did a good job. I am comfortable with the ball.”

“I think right back is just my best position for the future,” he added. “I also like to play wing. Ajax told me that they saw I was really technical. They said they wanted to try me at winger and that I could always go back to right back. They wanted to try it out to improve my speed of play.”

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another start for the U20's as the US beat Honduras 1-0. Tried to combine with Akinola a couple of times, defended pretty well, made a couple of nice runs. The entire match was a boring slog as Honduras packed every man behind the ball and time-wasted for the entire game. They rarely even tried to attack, and the one time they did they were scored on off of a quick counter.

He looks very, very good, I'm very impressed by him.

LouisZ, eliwood, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #147 bshredder, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    He's been a really good addition to the U-20 team.

Dest is the best YNT right back
    Bello is the best YNT left back

(not including the U-23 level with players like Robinson and Cannon)

It is worth keeping in mind that he is pretty open to struggling in the heat and Wednesday night in Florida is expected to be hot for the CONCACAF U-20 final against Mexico.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  24. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    His skill at outside back is such a breath of fresh air. I like me some Reggie Cannon, but Dest has way more talent than he does, Sergino should be knocking on Yedlin’s starting spot soon.

Dest and Bello will actually give us true attacking wing backs, simultaneously

UniversalAdvice and LouisZ repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Dest is gonna be what I thought Payne would be.

LouisZ repped this.