No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Spring clearance sale?

russ and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    uh oh. I was hoping it was yellow.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold move, Cotton.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    WheezingUSASupport and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #3681 Eighteen Alpha, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Pretty big leap to come to that conclusion from the linked article. Their need to sell is precisely so they can keep buying and remain competitive. And they still have their sights set on Neymar, which will probably be their undoing.
    Barça is also uniquely situated to trade for players it thinks it needs. Not that any of this lends any particular credence to the Dest rumors.

A better breakdown of the situation may be found in this piece (sorry I don’t have time to translate):

El Barça subasta su plantilla con la temporada por acabar: trueques con riesgo para poder fichar

https://www.elespanol.com/deportes/...a-acabar-trueques-riesgo/489702344_0.amp.html

6. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/barcelona-set-player-sale-club-21961407
    Barcelona set for player sale as club 'needs to raise €70m before June 30'
    La Liga giants may have to sell players this summer - and one report has claimed that only three of the Catalan club's top stars are safe from the chop

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nerable-to-a-financial-disaster-over-covid-19
    Why Barcelona Are Vulnerable to a Financial Disaster over COVID-19
    Richard FitzpatrickMay 20, 2020

How many superclubs are there too?

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Players have their ups and downs. Davies in in great form right now, but eventually is going to hit a snag and then we'll see if he recovers well.

Don't do that. That's a total jinx to our guys. Every single time someone has gone "let's see in N years how our guy compares to X guy from another country" it's ended badly for us.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    UniversalAdvice, tomásbernal and mace repped this.
  9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I haven't watched much Bayern outside of CL until this pandemic... and anyone who compares Davies to Dest is out of their mind. Davies is worlds better.

Probably not fair to compare the two but it seems like people were in here. Davies has two things Dest just can't compete with: size and ridiculous speed.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. I mentioned a long time ago Dest just is too small to be a defender in the top, but some brought in Roberto Carlos as a counter. But he was a player in a different era. Top attackers are about 10-15 k heavier than Dest. He could put on muscle weight, but to what price in speed?

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is too soon to say... Messi is one of the best ever and he doesn't have size or ridiculous speed. But right now... Davies is putting some serious distance between him and every other USMNT player out there... no matter what the league. Kid is fantastic.

12. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Obviously you don't need either to be a good soccer player. But if you are a playing as a LB/RB and you have Davies' speed, it sure as hell helps. He can recover from positioning errors rather easily.

My point is going forward, Dest just won't have that speed (or strength) that Davies has. He could get better technically, positionally, etc. but he if you want to compare the two, he just will never top Davies in those departments.

Both are 19 so plenty of soccer for them to play. I'm just saying at the moment, if you compare the two I think you're nuts.

13. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest handled himself just fine when matched up directly with Davies.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Roberto Carlos was not small. He was merely short. He was solidly built at 5'6" 161lbs. Messi who weighs 159lbs at 5'7" is similar.

Dest weighs 137 lbs, which is what Giovinco weighs. But Gio, who is 5 inches shorter, packs on more muscle. Dest is certainly a bit of flyweight. If he plays at Barca this shouldn't be much of a problem, given the way they use their fullbacks.

In terms of physique, Ashley Cole, who was 146lbs at 5'9", is likely the best analogue. With the US, I prefer Dest in midfield to best utilize his skillset.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Dest is bigger than that no good midget Philipp Lahm. That's probably why the lousy team that Lahm played for is looking at him.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, Lahm, Cole, and Dest are of similar physique, though Dest's listed weight is about 10lbs less than that of Lahm.

17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Ah...we've reached the height and weight discussion part of a YA thread. Good times.

Anyhow, Dest is still young. It shouldn't be hard for him to put on at least 10-15 pounds of muscle without losing too much speed.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but (to continue with the weight discussion) Jozy dropped like 15 lbs after moving to Toronto, becoming a much more mobile player. Adding 10 pounds to a 137lb body is about a 7% increase, which is significant. I can speak from personal experience just how much a difference 7% increase in body weight can make (though, to be fair, it wasn't muscle I put on).

19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    And in the 7 months since that match, Davies went from an experimental LB who had played 3-4 matches there to the people making legit arguments he's the best at his position in the world.

20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yeah my original argument was when comparing Davies/Dest you have to keep in mind Davies is one of the fastest players in the world, Dest has slightly above average speed. Davies is also bigger. It's not the end all, it's just a comparison for the people who are want compare the the two.

Dest's game is technical and he does that well. But there are mistakes Davies can erase easily that Dest can't. One example (1:10):

21. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but at that point Dest had also just debuted for Ajax and now he's being courted by Bayern, PSG, and Barca. Saying the two players are incomparable is hyperbolic

deejay, Namdynamo and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies is on the way to being the best left back in the world. Dest is not on his level. And I say that as being a big fan of Dest.

23. I have that after I put away my wallet:D

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think Dest is faster than that.