No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. LOL Rewatching the old stuff for lack of current stuff.

As they walked off at halftime, the announcers were saying they were still arguing. It didn't look that way at all. It looked like the captain was barking at Dest still, but Dest was listening and not lipping off. In other words, it looked completely normal for a veteran giving some firm advice to the younger guy.

Anyway, Dest is a bright star for the Nats.

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. freisland, TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Dest: You are wonderful!
    Wijndal: Thank you. I've worked hard to become so.
    Dest: I admit it. Your left-back stats look better than mine.
    Wijndal: Then why are you smiling?
    Dest: Because I know something the stats don't show.
    Wijndal: And what is that?
    Dest: I am not a left back! [switches to playing on the right side]

sXeWesley, FirstStar, ttrevett and 4 others repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #3504 freisland, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    I dunno from Owen Wijndal as an outside left, but he's nah fookin' Tommy Marshall, that I fookin' tell ya!

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Dest's game isn't crossing. Rather, he creates passing combinations which is a more valuable quality than crossing, imo. Mntime, his defense is improving.

iow, he compares favorably in the graphs in the link you provided, in my assessment.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Also, Wijndal is a hot prospect at 20, and gets a fair be of mention for future Sr. Oranje stardom. If Dest turns out to be even close to the player Owen is projected to be, lots of folks will be happy.

7. As was mentioned he's on the right, so it's not ment as a comparison, but as a tool how to assess Dest playing. The article shows how they look at the tasks a player performs. It's ment as a "how to" thing.

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    “Stop rhyming, I mean it!”

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    does anybody have a peanut?

USA-Zebuel and tomásbernal repped this.
  10. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snippet taken from an interview that Ajax's director of football (Marc Overmars) gave this past week.

In an interview with the same newspaper, Overmars said on Thursday that he had already closed a number of transfers, but that these are now far from certain ... "I don't know if they will all stay, but it will be a complicated story, that's for sure. These transfers were almost certain. Dest would go to Bayern Munich, Donny van de Beek would go to Real Madrid. But the world looks now very different."

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...nchen-gaan-van-de-beek-naar-real-madrid-.html

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    In a very weird way, the virus might really help Ajax. It'll limit the transfer market. They already agreed to the Ziyech transfer which at the time I thought was a steal for Chelsea. Donny, Nico, Onana were for sure gone. Dest, Neres were probably gone too.

Most of all-- Ajax has insane cash reserves and could potentially buy some players from desperate teams.

The Bayern move would have been impossible for Dest to refuse. I would bet they would have increase his salary 10x maybe even more-- Dest is playing on his first deal. When Bayern comes wanting you to play for them, it's really hard to say no beyond the financial reasons. Ajax has a replacement already too.

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dest goes to Bayern, what do they do with Alphonso Davies? They both play right back currently, correct?

DHC1 repped this.
  13. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies plays left back.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dunno if there is anything new here, but hey Happy Easter egg...

adam tash, BostonRed and largegarlic repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Also: https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/articl...7/dest-vertegenwoordigt-ajax-op-fifa-toernooi

Dest represents Ajax at FIFA tournament
    NielsOpdam, 10-04-2020 at 16:50, 1460 views, Ajax |

Buy your Ajax article now in the Ajaxshop!

"Sergiño Dest will represent Ajax at the Stay and Play Cup, Ajax reports via Twitter. Twenty professional clubs will take part in the tournament, which will be held via FIFA 20. The Stay and Play Cup is from April 15 and lasts until April 19.

All clubs are represented by a player of the first team. The tournament consists of a knockout system. Each duel is a one-on-one match and the winner qualifies for the next round. If there is a score on the scoreboard after ninety minutes, the duel is decided by an extension and any penalties.

In addition to Ajax, PSV also took part in the FIFA tournament. Also the English clubs Liverpool, City, Spurs and Chelski participate. PSG, BVD, RM, AM, Valencia, Porto and Roma are also present."

https://www.ea.com/news/fifa-stay-and-play-cup

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How can I watch?
    You can watch the whole of the Stay and Play Cup on the EA SPORTS FIFA Twitchchannel. Link your Twitch account to your EA Account and you’ll also be in with a chance of scoring some FUT 20 rewards with Twitch Drops!

17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    This + I wouldn't be shocked if Davies eventually ends up back as a winger.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In Bayern Dest would alternate with Pavard on the right, I guess, the latter going back to his primary CB position against easier rivals, but moving to RB in games where solid defending by the fullbacks is needed.

19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google translated from a Sky Germany article about Bayern interest in Hakimi:

"Sky also knows that Hakimi is an issue at Bayern. However, the transfer fee is definitely too high. Therefore, a transfer is currently not likely.

A hot trail continues to Sergino Dest from Ajax Amsterdam. Bayern had already made an offer for him in winter. However, a transfer is also difficult here because Ajax does not currently want to give up the player. According to our information, the player is interested in moving to Munich."

20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Centennial and Winoman repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dest would be wise to stay for another year. He’s 18 and hasn’t started for entire season yet. The offers won’t go away. Develop a little more then move.

I’d also be weary of Bayern but get why he’d want to go. Their RB is more of a CB. Dest and Davies would make for a young attacking set of outside backs for Bayern for a longing time.

DHC1 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Many in Europe think Pavard is a very good RB, better than expected, and certainly good enough for Bayern. The following article is an example:

https://bayernstrikes.com/2020/03/18/benjamin-pavard-first-choice-bayern-munich/

In the summer of 2019, Bayern bought Benjamin Pavard from Stuttgart with the intention for him to be in the rotation at center back. Former coach Niko Kovac then decided that Kimmich would best be suited to play in his natural position of central midfield, and since Pavard had experience at right-back with the French national team, he was deployed on the right side of the defense.

Since then, Pavard has been super consistent, racking up 34 starts in all competitions, only missing a match due to suspension.
    [...]
    Statistically, he is a part of the attack, scoring two goals and getting five assists across all competitions, it’s just not what he’s known for. (Stats via Whoscored) Those aren’t Joshua Kimmich type numbers at right-back (17 assists across all competitions), but what he lacks in attacking firepower he makes up for in defensive stability.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They don't want Hakimi. Just looking to get Dutch down on price :unsure: for Dest

Hakimi is good but flawed.

Having said that, Bayern tends to treasure athleticism so you'd think they would take Hakimi and leave the more elegant player for Barca to pick up in Dest.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    cuz why not?

25. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    #3525 wynaldaisagod, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Good news: looks like Dest will stay at Ajax

Make sense that the Mazrouai rumors are heating up. No sense for Ajax to have both next year. Too much value to have either be a part time starter.

Bad news: No matches in the Netherlands until at least 9/1.