No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since he switched, everything I read about Dest in Dutch is demeaning and hateful. "He's a c.nt who should go away to Bayern already..." or "he's stubborn because he's missing brain cells..." or "we need to get rid of this brat quickly, he disrupts the locker room..." etc.

He has to get out of the Netherlands.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better be damn good if as a 19 yr old you go up against your captain during a match. That will raise eyebrows from potential buying clubs as something to look at closer.

russ repped this.
  3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    having an opinion on exactly what happened there is probably useless since we as outsiders will never have anything approaching enough information to form a rational one

adi21 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  4. Wonder where you wander on the internet, as I spotted only a few of like that remarks. Links please. Donot keep the fun to yourself.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They've been saying that sort of thing since before the Tadić incident.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Let 'em look all they want. Dest has a cocky attitude but he's got the game to back it up.

adi21 repped this.
  8. Dunno what google translate makes of it, but the comments certainly arenot what you make of them, anti Dest biased comments. So I suggest to the rest of us in here to look for yourself and if necesary I give an accurate translation if something looks iffy.
    One thing fan boys want to go away is the truth about Dest. I posted about him in his Young Ajax time the ratings he had, which werenot overwhelming. Recently in a VI article it was tackled why Dest as the very last of his generation got a contract offer. He even was on his way out if not for ten Hag, who obviously was charmed by his attacking qualities.
    Orange coaches, when asked why Dest, as a Young Ajax player, never was asked for the Uxx Orange teams. They said they they had no clue what to make from him. When they watched YAjax he was then playing on the wings as attacker, than as midfielder and than as defender.
    This wandering through the team was the result of him having mental issues. He had the habit not to listen to the coaching staff. So coupled with not being great in Young Ajax the YA staff were ready to cut him lose, until ten Hag made his move.
    Up till december as I posted earlier there were no consequences of his ways. There are now and what bothered the Y Ajax staff now surfaces in the first team and in that interview you posted.
    When Ajax was healthy, swinging and dominating opponents hadnot much opportunity to push him into defense. Now the tables have turned and tactical and team discipline are essential the old Dest of Young Ajax pervails and in contrast to YAjax there are people on the pitch who donot tolerate behaviour that make Ajax more vulnerable than it now already is.
    Comments are directed at the contents of the interview in relation to what happened in the match against Groningen.
    The braincell comment was that it's not smart to tell these things in the interview after the Tadic incident, unless you miss some braincells.
    Anyway, the league is halted, so I guess it gives Mazraoui time to recover and after the break it will become clear if ten Hag still thinks his attacking qualities compensate his negative points.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Here some the top comments:

Niet zo'n slim interview na het voorval met Tadic. Dit doe je alleen als je echt stronteigenwijs bent en een aantal hersencellen mist. Dat laatste is ook de reden van zijn eigenwijze karakter. Achja, cirkeltje rond.

Not such a smart interview after the incident with Tadic. You only do this if you are really stubborn and missing brain cells. The latter is also the reason for his stubborn character. Oh well, circle around.

Eigenwijs kut ventje moet snel geloosd worden, want NIEMAND is groter dan Ajax zelf, en daar hoort Zélf en Teamdicipline als hoogste goed. Dit soort snotapen bederven alle sferen in het team en groepssfeer.

This stubborn c*nt has to be disposed of quickly, because NOBODY is bigger than Ajax itself, and that is where Self and Team Participation belong as the highest good. This brat spoils the good atmosphere in the team and group morale.

Niet alleen moet je naar de trainer luisteren snotaap, ook naar ervaren voetballers als Tadic moet je luisteren want die weet als topvoetballer misschien nog wel beter hoe je moet spelen als een trainer etc.

Not only you have to listen to the trainer, brat, but you also have to listen to experienced footballers like Tadic, because as a top footballer he might know better how to play as a leader etc.

Dan nog maar wat advies: kappen met de handschoentjes! Niet omdat je er als een watje uitziet met handschoenen als het 15 graden is, maar omdat je als verdediger je blote vingers nodig hebt om goed vast te kunnen houden zonder dat je handschoenen de aandacht trekken van de scheids of var.

Here's some advice: enough with the gloves! Not because you look like a wimp with gloves when it is 15 degrees, but because as a defender you need your bare fingers to hold properly without your gloves attracting the attention of the ref or VAR.

Want more? Watch any Ajax video on YouTube with a Dutch title and read the comments. And no, it's not Google Translate.

adi21, mace, Deeneaus and 1 other person repped this.
  10. So explain where these comments are anti Dest as a person that chose the USA?
    They attack him on ignoring tactical discipline outlined by the coach and team discipline managed by the captain on the pitch.
    The brain cell comment, as I already posted wasnot saying Dest as a person is missing brain cells, but doing what he did one only does if you miss brain cells.
    It's a huge difference with what you're claiming they say.

"This stubborn c*nt has to be disposed of quickly, because NOBODY is bigger than Ajax itself, and that is where Self and Team Participation Discipline belong as the highest good. This brat spoils the good atmosphere in the team and group morale."
    The last sentence is obviously the writer's opinion he cannot prove, but the outburst on the pitch gives it some credibility.

As I posted this behaviour is known from his Young Ajax days and seemingly not improving in the eyes of Ajax fans.
    You know, club fans in the Netherlands are primarily Club fans and not player fans, unless these become club legends. So if a player acts without regards to the club's interests they get at you and it has nothing to do with what you want it to be, anti Dest-ing because of the USA choice.

The Irish Rover and mace repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I never said the comments were attacking him for choosing the USA.

What I did say is that all comments about him by the Dutch Ajax fans completely changed after he chose the USA. Before that he was a "young, skilled, fast, smart" player. After, he's become a "selfish kut/kenker" who can't play and is poison to the team.

It was a marked contrast.

adi21, VBCity72, glutton4Bolts and 3 others repped this.
  12. No, you're being selective. After he chose the USA most were complaining about the KNVB not being alert enough/active enough and like some USA fans also did foul mouthing Dumfries as a shit player that isnot in the same category as Dest. They claimed Dest already should be selected instead of Dumfries and did so AFTER he chose to play for the USA.
    They became more critical after the CL elimination and the wave of lost matches of which many Dest fan boys claim he was playing well/very good.
    You really are trying to sell make believes to ...to whom precisely?

I had a good laugh about those pro Dest/anti Dumfries comments as these idiots claimed Dest was far superior to Dumfries as a defender and even more going forward as a defender. Actually the same comments some US posters made.
    But you manage to frame it as an anti Dest conspiracy. Okay.
    Just for the record. Everything I posted as comments on Dest qualities turn out to be accurate. Must be a deja vu. I was equally bombarded for my critical reviews of EPB but in the end the one who was right was me.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  13. Voetbal International rating:
    SC Heerenveen 1-3 Ajax
    Dest: 6

Winoman repped this.
  14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    lol talk about anti climactic

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Reminds me of Dunga vs. Bebeto in the 1998 WC. Anyone remember that?

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The truth is that FeyenoordSoccerFan is correct, you are being really selective. You are picking a few critical comments and overblowing those. You will find those same types of comments under an article about just about every single Dutch player. I have already mentioned several times how critical and direct Dutch people are, it is their main stereotype. Seriously, read any article about any player, for example the Dutch golden boys Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong, and tell me there are not a significant amount of haters every single time. Hell, even Van Dijk has haters! You really are over-exaggerating the situation with Dest and USA, truly no one really cares that much, especially not now.

Lets be honest; biases aside the timing of the things he said in his last interview wasn't great right? He just got into a spat with the captain of the team for not listening, and then a few days later releases an interview wherein he says that he doesn't care what others say to him and only listens to himself. Any player would get roasted for that, and you will see that similarly 'outspoken/rebellious' youth players such as Noa Lang were treated exactly the same (in the case of Noa Lang, even worse - which also led to him being sent away from Ajax). You are clutching at straws if you think this has ANYTHING to do with choosing for the US. Mazraoui made the same decision last season while in exactly the same position and that hasn't changed opinions on him either. Mazraoui by the way also gets his fair share of critique and was seen by many last year as the weak-link in the Ajax team. Dumfries the starting RB for Oranje is in the same situation, he gets a huge amount of critique and is considered the weak link of the Oranje team. The critique has nothing to do with whether you do or don't play for Oranje.

What I will agree with is that the critique on Dest has changed in the last months, coincidentally around the time of the decision. But, as you learn in school, correlation does not equal causation. There are two very simple explanations for why the critique has changed.

1. The role of Dest in the team:
    At the start of the season very few people really knew anything about Dest. When our starting RB Mazraoui went down, it forced Ten Hag to throw in a fairly unknown Ajax youth player (Dest). To everyones elation, Dest was (and is) a perfectly serviceable replacement. For a youth player with no 1st team experience that is all you can ask. So people were quite happy that a youth player was able to step up and fill in the role for the injured Mazraoui. Therefore, as with almost all players, critique was lightened because he was being judged as a youth player, not as a first team player. Also, Ajax was performing very well so critique of Ajax players in general was less. Now, things have changed. Dest is a full international for the USA, Dest has been the starting RB since the start of the season, and he was 'apparently' linked with Bayern Munich. That means that Dest no longer has the luxury of being judged as the youthful and servicable back-up to Mazraoui, but rather as the starting RB. Obviously this means that his role within the team becomes more important and that expectations for him grow. With higher expectations, comes more harsh critique. That is exactly what you are seeing right now.

Surely you see the difference in this? It is the same with someone like Schuurs. He makes so many mistakes but people at first allowed it because they understood he was a youth player and still needed to build up experience. But once Schuurs gets a bigger role and becomes the starting centerback, the expectations of him will be much greater and if he still continues to make those errors people will critique him harshly and soon demand for a new CB. This is the same for every player and can also be seen in Noa Lang who was getting hyped up massively last season and during pre-season as a youth player, but then very quickly got heavily critiqued by the Dutch once he made the step to the first team at the start of this season. Again - nothing to do with USA.

2. The Dutch Culture and Dest's personality:
    The second reason why I believe you may see people more hateful towards Dest is simply because of the Dutch culture and Dest's personality. Dutch people, especially the older generations, pride themselves on being 'nuchter' - there's not really a perfect translation for this but Google Translate claims 'sober'. I would say it is basically the exact opposite of being 'extra'.

Because of this you will see that players who have an extravagant lifestyle and are 'swaggy' tend to get hated on quite a bit by certain groups in the Netherlands. Perfectly examples of this are: Depay, Promes and Noa Lang. For whatever reason because of the way that those players talk, dress, their perceived cockiness and their extracurricular activities some Dutch people just hate them. I have always thought it was ridiculous and honestly a little bit seeded in racism. Dest unfortunately is finding himself in the same situation with that group.

As I mentioned at the start of the season no one really knew who Dest was so no one could really hate him for his personality. Now since he is a regular team player and doing more interviews, people are getting to know him better. Unfortunately this means that those fans who hate players like Promes, Noa Lang and Depay are also now jumping on Dest because of his perceived cockiness. It's not everyone but it does explain why there are some more vocal haters. Again, you can be as selective as you want but you will find these same haters on any article about any Dutch player, especially the ones I mentioned above.

Again, this has nothing to do with the USA.

So in conclusion - yes, opinions of Dest have changed. However, no, these absolutely do not have to do with him choosing USA. Again, how does it make any sense that those people would prefer Mazraoui over Dest if it has to do with choosing for another national team? Mazraoui literally did the exact same thing.

You will also find that a lot of it is THANKS to the USA and their fans. Before this Dest was judged as a capable youth player with great potential, but still things to improve. USA fans (such as the ones here) have absolutely hyped him up, literally calling him a superstar and bragging about how he is being linked with Bayern (a fan here literally tagged me to brag about that). Surely you see how this will make critique on him more extreme? If you guys are going to sell him as a superstar then he will be judged as a superstar. And the truth is, at this moment he still absolutely is not a superstar. He is a talented youth player who makes youthful mistakes but has also shown he has great potential and can perform at a very acceptable level despite being very young.

The Irish Rover, Pegasus, appoo and 8 others repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'll again suggest the attitude to Dest pre-making-the-team-as-a-regular-starter and post-BM-Barca-young-superstar is much more striking than the moment of re-affirming his commitment to the US. (Although they also combine in some case to make certain fans extra annoyed.)

I'll also add that some Dutch fans are easily as rock headed as any of your regular soccer goons.

But the expectations for Dest have changed drastically in the past 6 months - and he's going to keep getting more criticism, the more he plays (and the more Ajax falls apart)

DutchFanatic and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bring it!

ChrisSSBB and freisland repped this.
  19. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. I do. TP.

22. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'd put odds Ajax play again this season at about zero. KNVB announced no meetings until June 1st. Dest's club season presumably over.

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    June is a long way off... I am hopeful that we start seeing the top of the S in the coronavirus curve sometime in April. Obviously, this is a best case scenario... but June? Man... that sucks. Staying home is brutal... not being able to watch any sports while we do is even more so.

kba4life1 repped this.
  24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yep + they're saying clubs would get 2-3 weeks to train before matches started again. The other factor is the Eredivisie starts first week of August. I guess theoretically they could finish this season in July get a week or two off then start mid August?

I just don't see that being worth the hassle for the Netherlands. Not enough money there vs. the bigger leagues.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Kipling wrote a great poem that begins

"if you can keep your head, while all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"

I thought I would watch the firtst 40 minutes since I've got no live games to watch and Dest played very well. He is somebody who was talented and missing reps to start the season and he has been improving with every game, including this one v. Heereven. I just love this kid's game.

The fact is that Ajax are crap this year and there are many reasons for it but Dest becomes an easy target.

In the play in question, Dest does something very safe. He is looking at a dangerous situation and bails out. He probably says the wrong thing to the captain who, I think, has been calling for the ball. He probably says "I thought you would cut upfield". He is not being insubordinate but the captain takes it that way.

It's all very understandable.

The fact is that Dest was very good defensively in the 45'

TimB4Last and bballshawn repped this.