No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice suburb area of Madrid and a unique and dedicated fan base (you have to be with Real and Ateletico Madrid there as well as Rayo Vallecano, Only made it there for a game once.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's no longer happening!!!

lol...

3. What?

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't get bullied around. He was forced to play a ton of D because the entire team was out of sorts. He had one poor offensive play at the touchline on a deep cross early in the game and then didn't get many opportunities after that. Other than that I think he generally found the right feet when he had the ball which is a lot more than I can say for half the AJAX squad.

bballshawn repped this.
  5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The entire team in general got bullied by Getafe's press and diving, but i thought dest did fine defensively for 85% of the time

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's a thing of the youths... well, the youths of a few years ago...

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I"m just watching replay now and it looks like they thought Cutucella could get round dest in the first half and at HT they told Cutucella to find more favorable hunting grounds centrally and on the side away from Dest.

Dest was fine. The team as a whole seems to have played badly since being relegated from UCL, imo. If they were on Wall Street they would say they lacked animal spirits.

I see Dest going to Barca. He's got that thing going. Here they saw him taking care of that right side against the 3rd place team in La Liga.

Nuff said.

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And...……….Dest gives up the 2nd goal v. Getafe in added time on a deflection.

that was bad defensive play, even if Getafe had a 4 v 2 type advantage. Dest needed to make himself big at the top of the box above the penalty area - as far as my knowledge of defense goes.

Anyway, the team played badly. maybe they want to concentrate on finishing out the Eredvisie on top. They scored zero goals away.

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um...hes a defender.

im not piling on- not a great match for him or the team, on to the next. does anyone really think ajax cant* drop 4 on them in the return leg?

but saying he had to play too much d is as silly as those on the other side saying he (personally and solely) gave up the second goal.

*not remotely saying they definitely will, just that it wouldnt even be a shocker

usnroach and striker repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be a RB but people around here and the commentator for the match seem to expect him to be an offensive force in every match or he deserves calling out. Look, that was the worst performance from an entire AJAX team that I have ever seen. Dest was not great... but I wouldn't single him out as a major reason they sucked.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's never a good sign when the viral highlight of your team's performance consists of one of your players theatrically mocking an injured opponent, by rolling around on the ground and limping around, etc; and the second highlight is of one of your fans throwing a object from the stands, striking and injuring an opposing player.

However Dest played yesterday - not great but not poorly, I assume - the game was a good developmental exercise, playing in hostile territory. He may need to dodge a few cigarette lighters in the years ahead, and yesterday was an opportunity to see how that's done.

12. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Is that good, for a defender?

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    There were a few moments he did. Particularly end of the 62nd min/start of the 63rd. The Getafe players just walked the ball down the flank and he couldn't do anything to stop them.

The 2nd goal wasn't this fault but he also didn't really play on defense on that action. Just ran backwards as fast as he could and allowed them to easily get a shot off. In transition defensive situations like that, at some point has to play some defense.

It's crazy how defensive people get of any type of critique of any US player (especially the young ones). No one is saying he sucks, but his defensive abilities are still very much a work in progress.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Interesting game for Ajax/Dest today, @ Heracles (11th), because Mazraoui has been injured, current status unknown (to me), and Tagliafico is suspended from Thursday's EL match.

Ten Hag obviously needs to think about who will start Thursday v Getafe at left back, and give that player (Dest? Alvarez?) some minutes there today - unless for some reason he doesn't want to tip his hand to Getafe.

If ten Hag might have to use a Jong defender (Timber?) at a crucial time v Getafe, he should get that player some minutes today.

Lineups out shortly ...

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts, of course. Dest on the right, Tagliafico on the left.

Winoman repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The match is on ESPN+. Warning that Heracles has a player named "Dessers" and it's a little confusing if you aren't paying close attention.

Winoman and derek750 repped this.
  17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'm fairly sure Martinez will play LB for Ajax. He was bought to replace Tagliafico and has played there a little this year.

I would guess Eiting will replace Tagliafico in the lineup and replace Martinez position playing DM.

18. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Don’t name search him rn.

he does play too casual at times. If his tricks aren’t coming off, then he doesn’t look great.

19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Some of the passes he makes in the attacking third are so loose and lead to counters. He can be VERY casual with then ball.

20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Dest looked so comfortable/good after that Onana long throw. Was playing as a LW off the corner. I would much rather have him there than Babel.

21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Had a prime opportunity to deliver a cross in the final minutes. He was too casual and hit it off the defender.

ajax look terrible.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "Casual" is not the word I'd use to describe Dest today.

23. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    With the ball.... he most certainly was. Actually.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He had a bad day. It happens.

As a coach you're much more tolerant of a decent player having a bad day than of a good player becoming "too casual" because he's growing a big head.