No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His style is definitely Barca style (cause it’s Ajax) but I don’t know if he has the quality to play regularly for them. Although today’s Barca isn’t yesterday’s Barca.

2. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    yeah I guess the younger uproven player is always is better. So who cares if Dest leaves when you have Jurriën Timber.

I think that mindset is silly. Dest leaving hurts Ajax. I mean it helps that they have a bunch of talent in the pipeline but, there is a reason Dest is starting. Whatever happens, I hope Dest stays healthy (unlike some other US talent), continues to develop and gets a lot of playing time for a prestigious club.

3. Nope. Top players always did leave Dutch clubs. The moving on of the two superstars de Ligt and de Jong didnot dent Ajax at all.
    And for starters the article referred to Mazraoui as the first and Jurriën as the back up in case of moving on of Dest.
    In the other article I previously put the link in it is analyzed what the differences in contributions between Mazra and Dest are. These are style differences.
    Quality wise the differences are minimal.
    Normally Ajax isnot keen on selling a player with a long term contract that just has been signed, especially not if it's for a spot that's hard to fill again.
    I already in an earlier post expressed my surprise about the willingness of Ajax to sell him this soon. This article provided the explanation for it.
    Now they have a double casting for the RB spot with Mazra and Dest and after the sale they have it again with Mazra and Timber.
    Whether it works out that way of course is a "time will learn" thing.

4. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's true. Ajax was a force to reckoned with in the champions league last year and really should've made it to the final. This year they finished 3rd in their group behind a team 7th in La Liga and fairly average Chelsea team that's closer to 9th in the premier league than 3rd. I don't know if De Jong and De Ligt are the only reason for the difference but I do think it played a part. Both were named to the 2018-2019 Champions League team of the season

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...rrer=/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2607890

You are right that Ajax will be fine long term selling their best young players because they are great at developing and giving chances to young guys.

5. They were "cheated" out of the KO phase by ref and VAR errors in the Chelsea matches (internal messages from UEFA had become public much to the annoyance of UEFA). If you look at the points in this group it was a close finish and without the help of referees to Chelsea Ajax would be in the KO phase again. This Ajax isnot weaker than last year's.
    Next year with all the looming transfers could be a different story, as it takes some time to rebuild a team and last years transfers have been absorped, but this year's ones can prove too much to absorp and continue on the same level.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah, Ajax got jobbed at the Bridge.

The Champions favors the big clubs far too much. As if they needed any favors! I'm considering not even watching any more, we all know the ones that will make QFs anyway.

7. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was undoubtedly dodgy refereeing in that Chelsea game. But this year's Ajax team was not playing at the same level in the group stages as last year's Ajax.

At the end of the day, Ajax was matched up against Valencia on the last game day and would've advance with a draw or a win. But they lost - they had control of their own destiny and they lost

usnroach, smokarz and striker repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You can curse the tides, but they gonna rise and fall anyway.

Ajax is a grown 'em and sell 'em club. (except strikers - seemed to need to re-import a few recently lol...) Probably a surprise to them that they're moving Dest this fast, but they're wily old spice traders and know when to take a profit.

russ repped this.
  9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Cruyff! Started the Ajax/Barca connection, right?

10. Yup.

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I rate Dest, but it does not look to me that he is Barca caliber just yet, I just want him to get regular minutes at a club of Ajax or higher level. He really needs to go to a team that likes to get their fullbacks up the field to be at his best, those types of teams tend to have "good" fullbacks already, and most of them expect their fullbacks to defend well when called upon.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Dani at Barca was never caught playing defense so nobody knows if he could defend or not!

striker, y-lee-coyote and FC Tallavana repped this.
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have a Sergio Busquets covering your back, defending becomes easier.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I can see Dest doing fine in this Barca, actually.

That entire league may become a mess soon, though, with the threat of Catalonia going its own way.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Both Chelsea matches. First one a goal was overturned for an "offside" where the line was drawn at the incorrect time.

In terms of the group stages, Ajax was good not incredible last year. Their performances were fairly equal. They destroyed Valencia (and were destroying Chelsea before the match was fixed) on the road vs. last year they needed a miracle to win at home v Benfica/drew on the road. Also drew 2x v Bayern.

With Promes healthy and van de Beer dropping deeper, they're a lot more direct than last year. They're a different team. I think they would have been as dangerous in the knockout stages. The problem were injuries ultimately.

dougtee repped this.
  16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    The problem was that he (Dani) played the same when he had L(o)ui(s)Z covering his back.

LouisZ repped this.
  17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Or.... when you have Messi iniesta and xavi, your team just keeps the ball and there are very few defensive opportunities.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It didn’t matter. Dani just didn’t do that “defense” thing.

19. Well, Barcelona/Catalonia could then opt for joining the BeNeliga. Would make it a league to reckon with in an instant.:eek:

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “You talkin’ to me? Well, I’m the only one here. Who the f**k do you think you’re talking to?”

striker repped this.
  21. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Do yall mean Dani Alves? He was tenacious and covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch. Crazy to say that he didn't defend.

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "In case of an emergency roberto carlos can be found as a right back"

Never forgot that tv comment ;)

23. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016

ChicagoVT, Sup Bro, dams and 6 others repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    WheezingUSASupport and BostonRed repped this.