AJAX in for...... rivaldo?!?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by afgrijselijkheid, Sep 16, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/q1820.html

now THIS is freaky - i never would have even considered this - on the plus side, he's an experienced winner with something to prove - on the down side, he's another lefty and... well what? - this couldn't happen could it?

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    thats so damn odd. I wouldn't bet on it.

3. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    No its new, Koeman replied on a question that he would like to have Rivaldo.
    And the press makes it to the above :p

But I guess Koeman also likes to have Beckham,Henry and Sibon :p

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right so...Rivaldo can go from sitting the bench in Italy to sitting the bench in Holland?

I wonder if he smokes...

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Am I missing something? Why would Rivaldo, who is still on the Brazilian national team, be sitting on the bench at Ajax?

But I actually also heard this rumour on World Soccer Weekly.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ajax couldn't even pay this guy's salary, plus I agree with the sentiment that he's way over his expiration date, he already was during his last year at Barça.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well he's only 31. Lets not forget how good he was in the World Cup only 16 months ago!! His only mistake was going to play for Milan. That team is a joke that just likes to play for a 0-0 draw even when they play against some of the weaker sides in serie A! And this is not the type of team Rivaldo should be on. I say, get him outta there quick!

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-BS
    2-BS
    3-BS

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lemme get this straight for you... Ronald Koeman was joking about rivaldo in a "I'm curious what he could do at Ajax" way. Nothing more than that.

He woul be a great addition, no doubt. But Ajax don't play that game. We raise big boys, we don't buy them. We can't even afford him.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    milan have already offered to let him go for free once... i don't see why they wouldn't do same again

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ancelotti and Galliani have already said it is Rivaldo's decision to make. Rivaldo hasn't left because nobody has come forward and are prepared to pay him what he makes currently at Milan. If Ajax pay him his current salary he would be given to Ajax for free. But I don't see Ajax, nor anyone else besides Chelsea, doing it.

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    very well said.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ajax couldn't pay this guy's salary.

Well, this one is more of an opinion, but apparently an opinion shared by Barcelona when they decided to let him go, and by Milan by letting him sit on the bench. I'm in good company.

See point 2

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-make couldn't into wouldn't and you're right - not that i think this would happen, but i would assume the man would have to accept a lower wage

2-yet not by the world champions

3-i don't think barça let him go because they thought he couldn't play anymore, i think they let him go because they realized he wanted to leave and/or because changes needed to be made

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If Ajax would pay this guy's salary their deficit would go back to where it was last season in no time. I'm not talking about no lower salary, if a player like Ronaldo would play for Ajax for a lower salary of 1 euro a week :D I'm sure they could pay that also, but they couldn't pay the salary the player is actually more likely to ask. Just like with Rivaldo.

The world champions aren't the ones paying his bills, what his clubs think are more important, also because that's where he's at most of his time, and a better judgement of his play can be made.

They let him go because they felt his salary was astronomically too high for such a player, which was the sentiment of both the coach and the directive of the club. If he was scoring left and right, they wouldn't have let him go.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    rivaldo 01-02 @ barça

14g-30 gp including 6g-12 CLgp

yeah he was wretched...

17. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He was wretched, do you honestly think Barça would let a player go that they think was great for their club?

Nobody stole him from them, they let him go. On a free transfer, when he still had some time on his contract left. They didn't even offer him a lower rate contract if I remember correctly.

That's why he's now sitting on the bench at Milan, because he's playing the same way he did in his last seasons at Barça, maybe Milan also only looked at those stats you gave when they decided to get him. ;)

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    c'mon! he's sitting at milan because they play in the league of a thousand nil-nil draws - i never said rivaldo played defense

19. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    AC Milan are one of the less defending Italian teams in my opinion. The new player they got, Kaka, who's now playing on Rivaldo's spot (shows how much they think of Rivaldo that they would buy a new player for his spot) isn't exactly mr defense himself.

Rivaldo's got a great shot in his legs and some speed in his sprint, but the problem is that he is too 'egotistical' (too lazy to check if that's a real word :D ) and always tries to shoot the ball himself instead of passing it to a better positioned player, even when he's only halfway passed the midfield. And while that isn't a bad quality for a forward to have, it is when most of the balls he shoots go over or wide of the goalposts. And when he's not shooting wide of the goal, he's basically doing no work at all for the team.

I remember one time the commentator on the Dutch tv jokingly saying when they were showing a Barcelona game, that his co players wouldn't even come along forward with Rivaldo when he had the ball, because he always shoots to the goal himself, even when he isn't in a good position. And he did.

But like the other past times, I don't think we'll agree on this one either, we should find some things we would agree on.....you like pancakes don't you? :)

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    first of all, yes i love pancakes

second of all, egotistical is a word

finally, i think we agree more than you realize

he is selfish, that is a decent quality for a goal poacher, milan are the most attacking serie blAh team (not that that's saying much)

and it's this egotistical nature that is why he was dropped by barça and is seldom used by milan, not that he is no good anymore

just my two cents... you know you're alright with me oscar

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *lol* Milan an attacking team??????? Are you wasted when you watch them play? Milan right now is the perfect example of the typical serie A team! They are without doubt the most boring team to watch on the planet! Did you guys even watch any of Milan's last 20 or so matches (going back to last season)? The Milan from March 2003 to present is totally different than the one that played from August 2002 to February 2003! The latter (with Rivaldo on it) reminded me of a La Liga team, only better, and the former (when Rivaldo was benched more often) basically couldn't buy a goal!

Rivaldo is still a great player - one of the best in the world! The problem is he doens't like 0-0 draws and this goes against Milan's principle!

And for the person that wrote earlier on this thread that Brazil still plays him because they haven't seen him play that much - PLEASE!! They do have TV's and scouts in Brazil too ya know! And obviously you were in a coma during the last World Cup! Try telling England or Germany that he's washed-up!

22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! My question about Rivaldo if Ajax can afford his salary. Is he now cup-tied? And who would he supplant? Pienaar? Sneijder?

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    hold on one second while i get BocaFan a valium...

OK no he is not cup tied

and BocaFan: if you think milan is boring to watch... i suggest you check out a bologna v. empoli some time... someone who just smoked 14 viles of crack could fall asleep to that

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I admit I haven't watched a Bologna v Empoli fixture lately, but I would say the Reggina-Sampdoria match a couple weeks ago was 1000 times more exciting than Ancona-Milan. I think its a disgrace to the sport that a team with the players like Milan possess would be happy to hang-on to a 1-0 lead against a team like Ancona! They should take a few lessons from Roma's display last Sunday! Fortunately though you can't win championships without attacking as Milan learned last year. They basically lost the championship because they thought that 0-0 draws against teams like Empoli was good enough!

25. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    The reasons Rivaldo left were more complicated then his ability, it was all about the new coach (who proceeded to suck as we all know) Van Gaal was it? I don't know, nor do I care. But in his prior stop with the club they had feuded extensively and it was common knowledge they would not be able to co-exist. Obviously in retrospect Barca made the wrong choice, he bombed as a coach, and they lost arguably their most productive player from the year before. Rivaldo still has PLENTY to offer a team, Milan just doesn't fit his style and they are too deep to adjust to him. I don't know how Ajax fits though with VdV, Zlatan, and Wesley S. in the positions Rivaldo would most likely fit. But to say Rivaldo is done is lunacy. Also, on the Barca thing, remember that there were numerous other teams bidding for him when he left, its not like others agreed he was washed up. His WC performance showed he still had some attacking football left in him and still does. But in this depressed football economy you have to wonder if anyone will gamble on him...