Airport Disaster

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Colin Grabow, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
  2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    How about hiring many if not all of the JFK screeners? Granted I've never flown into there, but you figure where good systems were in place, they'd want to keep the people running them.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And Bush wants to create a 170,000 employee bureaucracy called the Office of Homeland Security.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    But isn't it only a matter of moving 170,000 positions from other departments, not creating 170,000 positions?

5. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I read the act authorizing the Fatherland Defense, and it is mostly a bunch of tiny divisions. The really large movements are:

Customs Service (was Department of the Treasury) 20000
    Immigration and Naturalization Service (was Department of Justice) 14000 (to be expanded by 10000)
    Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (was Department of Agriculture) 7000
    Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) 3000
    Coast Guard (was Department of Transportation) 43000
    Secret Service (was Department of the Treasury) 5000

That makes 100,000. But the other sections, although numerous, are all tiny. I doubt there are more than a few thousand in them combined. There are at least 50000 that are not being transfered from somewhere.

6. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Yeah, they should let Ken Lay or the guys from WorldCom run things while Arthur Andersen monitors how effective they are! Think of how much better run this would be!

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Come on, does anyone really think government security is really better than private run?

Here is my story on security at JFK:
    I flew from JFK to Ireland on Memorial Day weekend. I got to the airport really early, checked in and went through the security screeners to the gate without any problems. No lines and did not set any alarms off. I had two hours to kill so I decided to leave the gate area and go back out and have and grab some food and a newspaper.
    About 45 minutes later I head back to the gate again except this time it's busier and go through a different checkpoint. Now I set the buzzer off. I empty my keys etc, still set off the alarm. I take off my watch and I still set it off eventually we narrowed it down to my belt buckle. I did not mind at all but my problem was that I went through 45 minutes earlier without setting anything off. I told this to the security people and they didnt care. I told them I did not set off the other machine and that they should check it out but I got no response.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they didn't understand you. It's alarming the number of people who work at JFK and speak little English, and I'm not talking about the airline employees.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, I think you're right. They were looking at me like I had two heads when I was talking to them.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got that right. Since Queens has so many different ethnic groups, you have tons of workers at JFK and LaGuardia who can barely understand you.

I had an experience in December, I was flying out to LA. I was on the security checkpoint line for about an hour and a half. As I neared the metal detectors, I noticed that everyone had to walk through the detector and be scanned with the hand held device as well. They even had certain individuals take off their shoes since the shoe-bomb incident happened not long ago from then. When it came to my turn, I walked through the detector and that was it. I didn't get scanned by the hand held thing or get asked to take my shoes off. I was looking at the guy who was holding the hand held detector in case he was just waiting for me but didn't do anything. I just walked off to my gate and just wondered why I had to wait an hour and a half for nothing. Kinda disturbing when you think about it.

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Airport Disaster

Yeah, because of course there are no crooks in the federal government. :rolleyes:

12. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Did I check you?"

It IS scary. Here's another one ...

I'm flying out of Newark to Heathrow a couple of months ago. Long line at the metal detectors. I walk through. *Beep* Security guy with the hand-held metal detector says please take your shoes off. I take them off and send them through the x-ray machine. Standing there waiting. People coming, going. Babies in strollers. Old folks.

As I'm putting on my shoes the security guy goes "Did I check you?" I go "Yeah." So he turns away and checks someone else. So of course he missed the shiv I'd tucked into my belt ...

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Yeah, because of course there are no crooks in
    > the federal government.

There are crooks everywhere. It is human nature. Being part of the government does not make it better or worse than in large companies.

14. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I went through the San Diego airport, they had turned up the metal detector sensitivity so high they detected 2 rolls of undeveloped film in my breast pocket.

15. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I carried on a 12-pack of beer bottles onto a flight but they took my tweazers from me. Which do you think I could do more damage with?

Murf

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Airport Disaster

Well there are now

17. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    It's just security theatre.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you were trying to celebrate the 10th birthday of (what used to be) the last post in this thread, you're a week too late...

:D

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    It's just evidence that thread titles were just as stupid 10 years ago.

20. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Woah didn't realize the thread is 10 years old!
    Was reading the mass shootings thread and this was shown as the previous thread at the bottom of the page.

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This same thing happened to me