Air America

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Anyone know what's going on with that bunch lately? I didn't notice it anywhere on the dial in the San Francisco area, and now that I'm in the heart of eastern seaboard liberalism, I don't get it on the dial here, either. Whatever stations they may have in Philly or NYC don't have the power to get here to middle-NJ.

I figure that, if nothing else, it serves to divert liberal money from the Hillary bandwagon to a relatively harmless rathole.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No station in Philly, so the closest one to you would be in NYC. You could always listen on-line:

www.airamericaradio.com

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Alas, the only time I'm tempted is when I'm driving and get sick of people telling Hannity that he's a great American

4. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    The only guy on there worth listening to is Ed Schultz, and he's not on all Air America stations. He's not on in your area. Most of the shows on Air America are just flat out bad, more interested in bashing than actual ideas and thought.

Not that the right side of talk is doing much better, FWIW.

5. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You're a great American, Smiley.
    I personally like Mark Levin.

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Yeah, me too. When he's on a roll, he's pretty funny.

7. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Schultz even affiliated with Air America? He is a decent talking head, but he is way, way, way too pro-union for the likes of me.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Cool.. they're on in DC now.. I'll have to listen.

Sachin

9. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Looks like Air America is about to get a huge George Soros injection.

Who knows? They might still be around into the summer.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want about Limbaugh, Hannity and the rest: they stay on the air because people listen to them, not because rich foreign criminals and Hollywood prettyboys pay the bills.

And definitely not because they steal money from children's charities.

I listened to a bit of Jerry Springer the other day. What a complete joke. When the facts don't suit him (which seems to be often) he just makes up his own. How a guy who made his name baiting fat rednecks who sleep with their spouses' parent to fight each other on TV gets taken seriously as a political commentator is a mystery to me.

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    He was mayor of Cincinnati, that makes him at least as qualified as Susan Estrich

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I can hear fingernails scratching a blackboard and it doesn't affect me. Susan Estrich's voice on the other hand...

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did she write a check to a hooker too?

14. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    I disagree with Schultz about 80-90% of the time...especially when it comes to unions.

However, his show is actually listenable. It could be because he's not directly affiliated with AAR. Yet...AAR stations are picking him up because he's listenable.

As someone who enjoys debates and hearing other sides rather than just blindly following a sheepherder, Schultz provides the left viewpoint in a manner that actually shows thought. Unlike some of the others on Air America.

15. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    What's scary about Springer's show is...it's better than 90% of the stuff on Air America. Why? because this guy does TV and used to do radio for a living. In other words, he's a pro. Something that Al Franken is still struggling with after 3 years.

16. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I've heard the same thing about Randi Rhodes's show. (I don't care for talk radio in general and thus don't listen to Air America.) If I'm not mistaken, she beats the conservative heavy hitters in some markets, but I may be wrong about that.

Air America couldn't have launched if big names like Al Franken hadn't agreed to take part. It seems like they're (wisely) introducing persons with better radio skills.

17. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH

Rhodes is a bit too whiney for my taste, but is a pro. You can tell the difference.

The problem is, you would think after 3 years that Franken might get better. The problem was, he was carried by the woman who co-hosted...another pro. When she left he got even worse.

18. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    No doubt. I'm sure they keep him around for his name more than anything else. His show is late morning, correct? It's noteworthy that his airtime doesn't occupy any of the important drive-time slots.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I enjoy reminding DC United fans that the supposedly cosmopolitian lefty Soros bailed on DC United, leaving that right-wing troglodyte Anschutz to own the team. :D

20. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/2006/02/bill-oreilly-fox-news-air-america.html

Wow...a simple solution. Fire Franken. That would allow Air America to stay on the air by reducing costs and remove a guy who clearly cannot do radio.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Apparently Soros's last words at the head office were "On a baseball field?!?! NEVER!!!"

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they could solve the problem by bringing in Keith Olberman.

Olberman's over-the-top deranged lunatic routine is even more unhinged than Frankens, and I bet he'll work for a lot less. In fact, judging from Olbermans' fever-swamp rhetoric and hate-filled on-air spewings, one might guess that he'd do it for free, just for the opportunity to continue his amazingly fact-free tin-foil-hat rantings.

The MSNBA could bring back Phil Donohue, who got fired for lousy ratings which may have been lackluster but were actually BETTER than Olberman's, whose show is only watched by the most detached from reality fringes of the far left sewer.

Problem solved.

23. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Olberman now has a daily stint on his ex-coanchor Dan Patrick's show on ESPN Radio.

He's still good at talking sports, well pretty much only baseball, but he is good at it.

His desire to be a "serious newsman" was really a bad move. The only reason people remember his name was being on "The Big Show"

24. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    The worst part about Olberman is I think he's a pretty bright guy. But, he has that off the deep end thing going for him, which has endeared him to the left, albeit, not many of them judging by his ratings, or lack thereof.

I still love listening to him on Patrick's show though. Like Schmack said, he can still really talk baseball.

25. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Olbermann's ratings are pretty poor (especially when compared with O'Reilly's), but they have gone quite a bit up lately, and that's not even counting the help he's getting from the Olympics.