Aiming the PK. Where to?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by n00bie deluxe, Sep 23, 2003.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I've heard in some circles that if you hit it to either the upper RH or LH corners at a decent velocity it is all but "indefensible."

T or F?

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any PK near either post with a reasonable amount of power behind it is virtually unstoppable.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    depends if you mean keepers' right or yours. In theory as most people are right handed, making a keeper attempt a one-handed save with his left is more likely to succeed.

4. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the top right corner is the best place to try to put it.

5. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you hit a pk into either upper corner with decent velocity nobody can stop it. Not even Batman, However, since you're more likely to hit post or go wide with a shot like that, the general idea is to go low side netting. If hit well, this isn't likely to be stopped either, but maybe.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In top class football any pen which is high is never saved, as the keepers always dive low. At lower levels the best ones are low to either side.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's indefensible, unless it's a little too high and goes over the bar. :(

I've always tried for a low corner. Most of the saves I've seen are too close to the keepers chest.

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you can accurately hit the top corners then that's the best place for it, it's impossible (and I mean impossible) for the keeper to save as no keeper has yet been born with the physical ability to reach that kind of ball.

They're also the two hardest places to hit the ball however and truth be told nearly every accurate shot that scrapes in near the post goes in.

Signed

a goalkeeeper

9. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    depends...

never hit mid height cuz the keeper will almost definitely get it. low is usually the better choice if you hit it with much pace.

i sometimes try just to blast it low and in the center of the goal and i havent missed like that so far. (Becks did this against argentina in the WC2002)

but if u must make the PK kick it low and hard into the corner so if u miss ur coach wont flame u for trying to be too fancy.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This is about the best answer.
    Unless you're a top class player anytime you go high...you've missed.!
    Low and at the side netting is best.
    Blast it 2 foot off the deck either side, and you make me in goal, look great.

11. Pibe04

Pibe04 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Ft. Meade, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to take PK's and made them all the time until
    I missed like 3 in a row. I think my problem was not enough power. Now I just hit them almost as hard as I can and aim low in the middle center of the goal. I haven't missed this way yet. Usually because I'm right footed the ball ends up going a bit to my left and low. Occasionally the keeper will guess right but it just hits off them and goes in. I just can't take placing it and having it saved.

However, if you can consistently place it near a post and hit it hard - that would be the best way too go . . .can leave a slim margin for error though

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way, i played keeper for a while and the hardest PK to save is to the bottom corner to the keepers left. so the shooters right, and on the ground. The reason is that diving out and putting your arm up can block a shot (sometimes). but diving out and falling down takes longer to save. I dont know how to explain it but its tough. another reason to shoot bottom corners is that you have a better chance of making the shot. hiting top corners is hard stuff.

13. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Ask Ruud. He's great at this sort of thing.

14. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    The best way is when you learn to fool the keeper, then you got an easy goal for sure. that takes experience and some nerves.

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Ruiz says that you should make it look like your going to hit it hard to a corner then as the keeper dives you simply chip it over him, center goal. :)
    (this is not the best advice for newbies, college players, pros, or anyone).

16. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

17. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    thats a good lesson, but i have a better idea, why dont you go ask Martin Palermo on how to miss a pentaly kick and then do the opposite of what he says.

(3 missed pk in one game vs colombia in Copa america 1999)

18. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001

Also, please make sure that Martin Keown is standing close by.

19. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    to me that's as much coach's fault as the penalty taker. why would the coach let him take the second & 3rd penalty when he missed the first!!!

taking penalties is more about having self confidence than technics. someone who has missed two in one match has no business taking the third, IMHO.