AI, as good or evil as human nature allows

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Apr 24, 2023.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You believe that the Epstein story is real?

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    ???

3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bad joke.

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. How will this influence the use of AI?
    Scientists calculate we will produce 180 zettabytes of information in 2025, compared to the last year's 90 zettabytes.
    This 180 is the limit of what we can store, so everything will be needing scrutinizing if it will be stored.
    Is AI getting limited by the lack of data space, or will it be used to delete stuff, by "deciding" what's relevant enough to keep.

Hint: buy a lot of HD/thumb drives now:)

6. [​IMG]https://www.technologyreview.com › 2021 › 05 › 27 › 1025453 › artificial-intelligence-learning-create-itself-agi
    AI is learning how to create itself | MIT Technology Review
    And the past year has seen a raft of projects in which AI has been trained on automatically generated data. Face-recognition systems are being trained with AI-generated faces, for example. AIs are ...

So, if AI creates data itself, will it decide it's own data are more important than your pictures in the cloud of your grandchildren or your collection of kitten pictures in the case of lack of data space?

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The UK should bar technology developers from working on advanced artificial intelligence tools unless they have a licence to do so, Labour has said.

Ministers should introduce much stricter rules around companies training their AI products on vast datasets of the kind used by OpenAI to build ChatGPT, Lucy Powell, Labour’s digital spokesperson, told the Guardian.

Her comments come amid a rethink at the top of government over how to regulate the fast-moving world of AI, with the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, saying it could pose an “existential” threat to humanity.

Powell said: “My real point of concern is the lack of any regulation of the large language models that can then be applied across a range of AI tools, whether that’s governing how they are built, how they are managed or how they are controlled.”

She suggested AI should be licensed in a similar way to medicines or nuclear power, both of which are governed by arms-length governmental bodies. “That is the kind of model we should be thinking about, where you have to have a licence in order to build these models,” she said. “These seem to me to be the good examples of how this can be done.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...umans-in-two-years-says-uk-government-adviser

8. Uhm, how are you going to monitor/control that?
    It's not like you need special equipment etc. to build AI applications. My nephew and nice have top grade German university computer science qualifications and could do that stuff at home with a couple of computers linked together to work as a poor man's supercomputer.

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013

Ol' Blues never sounded better.

Q*bert Jones III and superdave repped this.
  10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is an interesting article. Basically, ChatGPT 4.0 correctly said the number 17077 is a prime number 98% of the time back in March and 2% of the time now. ChatGPT 3.5 underwent the complete opposite change, going from 7% correct in March to 87% correct now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/over-just-few-months-chatgpt-232905189.html

The problem is that we can't really tell what the AI is keying on when it finds an answer. They make some subtle changes to ChatGPT to make its speech more natural, and it's math goes to hell. Or gets a lot better. No one knows why. No one can know why.

This is something we've known for a while. For example, we've long had AI that interprets what pictures represent. But you can take a picture of a stop sign and change one single pixel, and if it's the right pixel the AI will be completely confused.

11. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Math is hard.

song219 repped this.
  12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Could be from an independent autonomous ChatGPD.

IMG_6018.jpeg

Mike03 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I received an AI phone call this week from my medical supplier. Before I could say hello, it launched into I’m guessing was a rushed, toneless monologue on how to reorder. Followed by 2 phone numbers that to me didn’t have time to register. Then goodbye!!!

it took me 3 calls and being passed along until I found the right department. I mentioned the call and he admitted that there was an ongoing adjustment. I told him he should be diplomat. Laughing, he said all the receptionists were frustrated with their potential replacement.

roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. You know, language occupies alot of brainpower. Seems the growth of the human brain for the most part went into language processing.
    Maths is in that same territory. So most humans are good in language or maths, mediocre in both and only geniuses good in both.
    In other words, it seems logical.

15. Talking about language and AI.
    I guess google translate was/is AI based. Well, it wasnot very good in the first place, but recently it really got shittier and shittier. Some times it hasnot got a clue about real English words, it fails to recognize them. So, knowing for certain it's a real word I looked on the internet adding means to it and presto, several sites give meaning, phonetics etc. of it.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There used to be a bigsoccer poster called "Brushes Sand."

"Brushes Sand" was how google translated the name of U.S. National team coach Bruce Arena.

rslfanboy, roby, Val1 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    For years in the DC United forums we referred to ourselves as ventilators because that was how fans was translated in an article about Jaime Moreno.

roadkit, rslfanboy, MattR and 4 others repped this.
  18. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To ChatGPT, there is no difference between language and math. It only does one thing - interpret the input and pick one word after another to make an output that its neural net thinks is best. If you ask it what one plus one is, it doesn't know. It only knows that the vast majority of pages on the internet indicate the likeliest answer is the word "two". It doesn't compute. It doesn't reference trusted sources. If there isn't a lot of pages saying 17077 is a prime number, then it can get confused by keying onto something else. Maybe in trying to get ChatGPT to emphasize pages with better English, it also pointed away from pages with the wrong answer.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. It's a bit funny you say it doesnot compute, as that's the only thing a computer really can do.

21. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's on a different level. It's like saying because our brains run on chemical interactions we must be good at chemistry.

Auriaprottu and soccernutter repped this.
  22. You're not?:unsure: