Aguero best Premier League striker ever?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Robertoe, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree about Henry, Aguero makes good runs and is ruthless at converting chances but Henry was creatively brilliant. Likewise, Ruud van Nistelrooy scored a lot of tap ins. It's just my opinion of course but I think Aguero and RvN would have struggled in teams with poor creativity, whereas Henry would have lifted them up.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think a lot of folks (maybe today) seem to underrate or almost forget Van Nistlerooy when we look at Shearer, Henry, Aguero, Suarez, Rooney.

3. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Looking at goal average it's Harry Kane 0.69, ahead of Henry 0.68, then Aguero 0.67.
    He's also delivered the best average for a Golden Boot ever in the Premier League this season with 0.97 goals per game. Which is better than Suarez final Liverpool season 0.94 and Cristiano Ronaldo's monster season with United 0.91

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And the debate continues whether Kane is world class or not

5. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Why is this even question, of course he is.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why Yes I agree but only recently have many come to agree, though still some critics (mostly outside of the PL).

7. fantasy-football

fantasy-football New Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    For me would be Shearer, had everything you want from a center forward!

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Henry,
    Suarez,
    Van Nistelrooy
    Rooney,
    Shearer
    Aguero,

in that order.
    However that list ignores Fowler (injury shortened his "best" period, when he was probably the best); Bergkamp (maybe general memory overshadows that he was in the same team as Henry) and Klinsman (who may have been past his prime when he played at Spurs, but for a whole career would figure in the above list at probably #2). Similarly, the real Ian Rush never really played in the premiership.I wouldn't forget Berbatov either - sheer calmness personified with devastating ability.

9. UnionJackAccounts

UnionJackAccounts New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Aug 6, 2017
    In my opinion Aguero is definitely not the best premier league striker ever. Andy Cole is probably the best. Heck, even Drogba or Anelka is better than Aguero.

sabresrule30 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I never saw Andy Cole. I can only watch old clips or follow his stats on wikipedia. how great was he?

11. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In my opinion Shearer was the best Premier League striker ever. He was the reason Blackburn won the title in 1995. And should have a couple more titles if Keegan wasn't so tactically flawed.

Peoples always mention Henry's superior goals to game ratio record. But there is a massive flaw to their argument.

Thierry Henry played eight seasons for Arsenal, from the age of 23-30. He scored 174 goals in 254 games.

From 1992/93 - 1999/200, (8 seasons), Alan Shearer was 23-30. He scored 176 goals in 253 games.

Incredibly similar records.

The difference between the two, is that not only did Shearer score 23 goals for a Newcastle team that finished in the bottom half of the Premier league at the age of 30, he also continued playing in the Premier league beyond his peak years, which effects his goals per game ratio. Whereas the Premier league only saw a faded Thierry Henry when he came back for 4 games.

Kids remember a peak Henry and a faded Shearer.

EvanJ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henry was the main factor behind Arsenal's leagues. He also won more Golden Boots than Shearer, and two European Golden Boots at Arsenal. Shearer never did.

13. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1.) Blackburn and Newcastle depended on Shearer far more than Arsenal ever did on Henry.
    2.) Shearer won the golden boot for England at Euro 96' and in the UEFA Cup for Newcastle at 35 years of age scoring 11 goals.

3.) True Henry has 4 Premier league golden boots to Alan Shearers 3. But Henry once earned a golden boot by scoring 24 goals in a season. Alan Shearer holds the record for scoring 31 goals in a Premier League WITHOUT being awarded a golden boot. (Thanks to Andy Cole who once scored 34).

14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henry won a World Cup and the Euros itself. He also is still the top goalscorer for France, ever. Like how Rooney is for England. So bringing up international stats is moot, when Henry did far more at international level than Shearer ever did. Who cares about how many goals are scored in a season? he still won it. Shearer played more seasons, and still didn't win as many Golden Boots. Shearer won it once by scoring 25 goals. I doubt he cares, he still won it.

Arsenal would not have won the leagues they did without Henry's goals, so your point is pretty moot. Henry scored 30 PL goals Invinicbles season, I doubt if he were injured for months in that campaign, they would have won the league, nor even gone unbeaten.

Shearer was a great player, but Henry did more in less games, won more trophies, did better at international level, did it both England and Spain, scored better goals than Shearer, and was overall the better striker in both England and in their careers.

For me, of all-time PL strikers:

Henry
    Shearer
    Ronaldo
    Owen
    Wright
    Fowler
    Aguero
    van Nistelrooy
    van Persie
    Kane

15. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're just throwing out things without any substance. Yes, Henry won a World Cup in 1998, but he wasn't even a substitute in the final.

Which is my point about him winning a golden boot. I'm not knocking Henry's achievement of scoring 24 goals in a season, that's fantastic. I'm just saying that Alan Shearer scored 31 goals WITHOUT winning the golden boot.

Which is more of an achievement?
    34, 31, 31, 25, 23, 23, 22 goals in a season (Alan Shearer)

or
    20, 20, 19, 18, 18, 18, 18 goals in a season (Bebatov, Tevez, Anelka, Yorke, Owen, Hasselbaink, Dublin)

Obviously Shearers record. But whereas all them 7 players were awarded golden boots for scoring less goals, Shearer was awarded just 3.

My point isn't "moot", the Blackburn team that won the Premier League in 1995' was nowhere near as good as the "invincibles". Shearer did not have Pires and Bergkamp feeding him through. Instead he had players like Wilcox, Sherwood, and Stuart Ripley.

Had Arsenal had another striker, I am pretty sure they would have won the Premier league. They were head and shoulders above everyone else. With Lehmann, Campbell, Toure, Lauren, and Cole, only conceding 26 goals all season and keeping 15 clean sheets. And a midfield of Vieira, Gilberto, Llungberg, and Pires at their peak, it's pretty debatable but safe to say, had they another good striker, they would have won it that season.

Strange you say that after I posted their record head-head for same age (8 seasons). Henry scored 174 goals in 254 games with better players around him. Shearer scored 176 goals in 253 games.

Scored better goals than Shearer? Really? Both scored awesome goals.

We saw two different Shearer's in the Premier League, the target man that people remember and the one with devastating pace that people forget. Whereas Henry played amazing link up play, but again with Bergkamp and Pires around him. I just do not think Thierry Henry would have scored so many goals had he been playing for Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers. And that was by Shearers own accord. Alex Ferguson tried to sign him in 1995 for Man Utd.

I just remember watching Shearer in 1995 as a kid at Goodison Park absolutely demolish Evertons defence like it was a one man show. Whereas I remember when Henry came to Goodison, he was a very good player in a very good team.

It's interesting to see all the ex Arsenal players on Sky naming their first XI, and best player they ever played with. They always say Dennis Bergkamp.

To be fair, Henry and Shearer were very different strikers. And both of their achievements were remarkable. I agree that they are the top two.

16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who mentioned bergkamp, idiot?

henry scored half of arsenal's goals in 03/04. shearer scored about a third of blackburn's in 94/95. your stats are wrong, which is the only i replied to you.

17. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did. idiot.

Shearer scored 34 of 80 Blackburn goals in 94/95 in the Premier League = 42.5%
    Henry scored 30 of 73 Arsenal goals in 03/04 Premier Leauge = 41%

This isn't going very well for you is it.

18. sabresrule30

sabresrule30 Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why him exactly? he seemed to barely score 100 league goals

20. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Henry is number four best all time players according my list. Yepp, today's match fits it is Kün the best attacking player sure about this things.

21. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Very best but only in CFC.

22. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    V.Nistelrooy were strong attacking star in four years in ManU. :alien:

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It is incorrect to say Shearer should have had a couple of more titles if Keegan wasn't tactically flawed. Newcastle's best cvhance at winning the premiership was the year before Shearer joined.
    The next year, Liverpool were a superior team and it was their odd tactics, combined with injuries, etc that allowed them lose a 9 point New Year's Day lead and for United (another team operating at a level above Newcastle that year) to take the title. By the year after that Newcy had slipped further..... and then their best player (Ginola) joined Spurs.....

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    oh well, the past is the past .... to be viewed through color lenses ...

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'm not sure about Kane's touch always .... seemed a bit off to me early last year at times ... so we'll seee.......