Age In Youth Players

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by minya, Jun 11, 2009.

1. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Is it a right place to mention that it often happens to the kids with fake birth certificates?
    I love you too guys.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Fro Adu: A Little Update

Shush, that's the one taboo subject on BS.

Speaking of which, a team in my area made feel-good history last year as the first ever Hispano league squad to win a Regional title. This year, it got caught playing 16 year olds on a 14-year old team. The same kids were on the Regional championship squad last year, hmmm well maybe it's time to rewrite the story about how the gritty kids showed the suburbanites how the game is played.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

LOL.

In the NYC area it is just assumed that many of the kids playing aren't the age they say they are.

Of course the most famous example is the kid that got caught in the LLeague World Series, but it is an extremely common occurrence. Just understood.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

It is everywhere but on bigsoccer, which resides in a pleasant world where cheats do not occur, and coaches do not favor their children.

But anyway back to Fro Adu, it was funny the days when the speculation was that Fro and Freddy might line up as the two forwards for USMNT for the 2010 World Cup. Or at least 2014. ;)

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

LOL. I'm not going through it again, but the facts/studies show that older kids in younger groups/classrooms, you name it, have HUGE advantages that translate throughout life. Confidence, leadership,learning ability, all come with that physical/mental ad....and they stay. Fact.

Immigrants know this. They want their kids to have every opp/edge...just like families with the means send their kid to private schools and have tutors (I do it because you see just how far ahead of the other kids who go to public school that your kid is). Not an accident.

These families fudge the dates if they can because it works. It makes sense to do it. It helps their kid tremendously. The way it is. Hell, many suburbanites and families with money purposely hold their kids back more and more because of the scientifically proven HUGE benefits and advantages it gives their kid throughout life.

I made the comment on the Milk Cup thread. I would wager, without knowing anything on the inside, a sizeable amount of money also, that the Sudan team is loaded (40,50,60%) with overage players. Is what it is.

Note - At least Lil Mikey has a resume and will that makes him choosable. I've seen many set ups where kids play/start who don't even deserve to be on the team. Thanks dad.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

What people are implicitly saying in denying age cheating, is that immigrants are too effing stupid to figure out how to help their children. Either that, or that don't care about their children.

Nah, I don't think so. You know and I know, that if anything the immigrants on average are smarter and more family oriented than we Yanks who were born here.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I was talking to you and assumed this part, and didn't write it, but I thought it.

This happened in the past when I brought it up. Some schmucks coming to the defense of those poor, dumb, helpless, brainless immigrants.

"Why would they do it" What's the purpsoe? etc, etc"

The stupidity/naive factor was clearly coming from that end. Of course, the thought they were insulting these people, saying they were helpless morons, couldn't even register mentally with those schmucks. The arrogance factor in this country astonishes. We aren't that bright compared to the rest of the world anymore.

Actually, they will be steamrolling us over the next 50 years by the looks of things.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

But you forget one thing- immigrants continue to flock here, so "they" is us.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

And as they become us, then they get flattened by the new wave of immigrants.

Korean friend of mine differentiates between immigrant Koreans and those born here, he says that the longer the Koreans have been in the States, the less hard that they work, and the less that they achieve.

Scary thought given how many generations my family has been in the U.S.!

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Technically no.

When they declare their kids ages and get set up/move here they are not established Yanks for the most part. They are making these decisions as foreigners.

Did they just get savy and smart on manipulating their child's age, to their benefit, when they decided to come here?;)

No.

JohnR made a very good point about new waves, and getting flattened however.

Italian immigration (grew up in a big Italian community in my youth in NYC and I wasn't Italian) tailed off in the 70's. Still, I found it very interesting as a kid, how the kids of Italian immigrants here, would call new immigrants, and their kids born in Italy ******'s (no papers).

My first lesson in hypocrisy, and shi*ing on whomever you can when you have an advantage.

The above scenerio has played out throughout history. Whether barbarians trying to get into Rome being spat upon by other barbarians who just got in, or what we have today.

It all flows downhill.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

Sounds like Bensonhurst.