Age group changes for USYSA

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by OleOleOleOle2988, Oct 17, 2003.

1. OleOleOleOle2988

OleOleOleOle2988 New Member

May 22, 2003
    NOVA
    hey I've been hearing rumors that USYSA will be going to a calendar year format like ODP. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? When will it go into affect who will it affect etc etc

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I got this Notice on 9/21/2003

Eastern New York will have a new age criteria when it selects its Boys and Girls ODP teams for the 2004-2005 season: All age groups will selected from the same calendar year.

The change was passed unanimously at the organization's annual general meeting on Aug. 23

Presently, ODP age groups are selected from Aug. 1-July 31

Some years ago league play ages began at the first of the year. Then it was change, and now it is starting to change back.

3. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    odp in all states is already based on the jan1 dates.

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just a rumor

Here is the rumor I heard:

1) Age groups will transition to birth year (calendar year) starting in 2004.
    2) It will begin with U-11 initially. This is to avoid having to reshuffle all the age groups at once. Whether the transition than takes 8 years to complete or several age groups will subsequently be changed over is unknown. I do not think it will affect any of the current older age group teams (U-15 to U-19) since they will be out of the youth system before the entire changeover occurs.

BTW - this is a rumor - not from an official source

5. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I was told by a USSF lawyer that the change to 1/1 cutoff was NOT mandated...

However, Super Y league is going to a 1/1 age cutoff next year.

6. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Since the youth part of the USSF is in control of the state cup. They can say to be in the state cup your players must conform to that Jan age start.

That is the youth parts power. So states and teams will go along so their teams can participate in the state cup true or not true?

Richie

7. SoccerX

SoccerX Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Republic of Texas
    What "youth part of the USSF" are you referring?

FYI the USSF has USYSA, AYSO, SAY, US CLub Soccer, Y League as affiliated members.

8. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    USYSA I just could not remember the letters is some other organization you listed in charge of the youth state cups?

9. SoccerX

SoccerX Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Republic of Texas
    No, the point I was making is that there is no longer one entity known as the "youth part of the USSF".

10. footballertoo

footballertoo New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    This is my understanding:

1. USL and Y-league go calendar in 2004 all age groups.

2. All other youth soccer goes calendar in 2005. How has not been decided.

3. The ENY missive refers to the Select program which used to be 8/1 cutoff but has now appended ODP to it's select program.

11. OleOleOleOle2988

OleOleOleOle2988 New Member

May 22, 2003
    NOVA
    so how did you hear all of this? was it rumors or from someone legit?

12. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "so how did you hear all of this? was it rumors or from someone legit?"

If he coached in a league you have coaching meeting 3 or 4 times a year. It would come at in the first one and those after that in the form of a handout. Might even get something in the mail. Or might be in the leagues soccer paper that comes out anywhere from about once a week to once a month."

It might even be in a revised league rule book that you get when you put a team in or if a rule has been changed before the start of the season.

Or it could be in the form of an email if your on a league mailing list.