Aftermath of the Final [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by footyfan1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope that was a good cry......

2. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don´t think, I´m the one, who´s crying! :rolleyes:

I´m completely satisfied, with the way, things went!
    I can even live with Spain (being the better team) winning the EC...:eek: (just to get back "on topic")

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That makes two of us. We don't have to agree on the other stuff, but we do agree that the better team won this tourney.

And if you go back I did say the Germany team's accomplishment this tourney was praiseworthy.

4. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I´m totally with you!

Let´s get back to topic...

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Uhm...ok. :confused: I hope you feel beeter?

6. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, I just can´t stand everybody is complaining about a team that has been in 2002 WC final,, 3rd in the 2006 WC and lost against a great Spanish team in the 2008 EC final!

Germany didn´t play the most beautiful or technical football and they definitely didn´t dominate all the teams they beat in this EURO (and in other Cups as well), but there is kind of a spirit or a winner-mentality, that lead Germany thus far in all the tournaments!

You don´t have to be champions to be winners!

But that´s what espacially Germans are like...complaining at a high level!
    Others wish, they would have made it so far in recent tournaments...no matter, if they played the best football during the tournament or not!

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Criticizing this German team for very poor performances in the semi-final & final, is absolutely justified in my eyes, dear Niederrhein neighbour & Celtic mate (even our big expert @ Gregoriak was pretty pissed off)!

But this doesn't mean that I agree with all statements from Keith alias @ footyfan...

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Btw: Let's better talk about the worthy winners from Spain now! I think there's enough been said about Germany...

9. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course, there´s much to critize, if you have a look at how the German team played most of his games in the EC...if nobody would critize the team, no one would try to improve (and there´s a lot to improve - no question), so critics should be pretty welcome! But there´s a difference between crititising and bashing a team and I can´t see anybody has a reason or is an a position to bash the German NT after all it has achieved in recent years...

But you´re right let´s give the Spanish team the attention, it deserves in this thread!

In my eyes, they have had great teams in the past as well...what this team seems to have learnt is, "efficiency and coolness" (as you said) even in "do or die"-games...that´s something former Spanish teams didn´t prove!

10. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This was a huge win for Spain. It put us in the map just when people were losing faith in our way of playing the game. We didn't just add the mental focus, but a bit of smart tactics and defensive awareness.

Let's see what the future holds. The coach change poses many questions. And we'll have to replace Senna and Capdevilla soon. About the offensive players, I'm not worried. Granero, Capel and Bojan, amongst others, are going to be huge talents. Amorebieta, Piqué or Alexis will eventually fill the CB position.

And I must say... You Germans have been the classiest rivals in this boards.

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Replace Senna? Why? For me he was the best player of the tournament.

12. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    I have a question. in the past it was said that one of the main problems for the Spanish team were the internal rivalries between basques, andalusians, catalonians, etc., but that now all the players had one goal namely to win the trophy for Spain. is this true and therefore one of the reasons for this years success, or not!?

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At some point, in the future, eventually. Most of the team is still very young; Senna's not.

14. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Age. He's 31. Hopefully he'll still be around for 2010.

I've never believed in that theory. Egos hurt more than that. This is a humbler team, IMO.