Aftermath of the Final [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by footyfan1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squid. As far as I know, there is no specific rule against "head-butting." I believe head-butting falls under "violent conduct."

Which is also how the referee could have interpreted Podolski's leaning in to provoke the attempted head-butt.

There was intent on the part of both players which is why I think the referee went with the no-call, "boys will be boys" scenario.

2. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
  3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Spanish team is fairly young so they could be a major player at WC 2010

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should make them one of the favorites.

5. futbolmonkey

futbolmonkey New Member

May 13, 2006
    well, the aftermath report, nice and simple;

Spain tactically outplayed Germany in much the same way Croatia did...the only difference, Spain can find the back of the net, otherwise, it would have been CRO:SPAIN in the final, which would have been far more entertaining.

Not trying to undermine Germany, they are a great team; however, it seems like they played with a little too much routine instead of forcing their game, which Spain has been doing the entire tournament, luckily they didn't fall into that trap, and that was the difference in the outcome...couldn't have been any other way, especially after that dismantling of russia.

lets see what 2 years brings in the next world cup, should be cool to see...

6. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    what about Germany? I am really wondering, cause I was very hopeful in WC 2006 from their attacking play, but this tournament imo was a little bit disappointing for Germany side, maybe Klinsmann-Low difference.

seems Klose, Ballack pass their zenit point, will there be replacements as good them in the coming years?

Last thing, I never understand this Kuranyi and Gomez can play in Germany NT, I would not put them in my club team in Turkey.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong on Gomez. He had a crap tourney yes, but take it from someone who watches him week in and week out.

Gomez deserved to be there and deserved the chance he got. He didn't do well, but you'll see him again.

And there's no way in f#cking hell you wouldn't put him on "your club team in Turkey."

Please man. Just that comment tells me you know nothing about the kid.

8. futbolmonkey

futbolmonkey New Member

May 13, 2006
    Head-butting or no head-butting....c'mon, these guys gotta toughen up.
    Separate the two, make them shake hands and play on.......!!!?

This cost France and great disrespect to a great, Zidane......glad the referee
    totally ignored those two wimps.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both Klose and Ballack are done for Germany. I doubt we'll see them in the picture for 2010.

I think Odonkor could develop into a pretty dangerous forward. Kuranyi and Gomez are both quite good, actually, but just didn't show too well in this tournament.

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. Which is why I said on the other thread that Podolski was the aggressor, Silva barely touched him, but yet the desperate Germany fans want a red card.

I think the ref did the right thing.

11. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    Gomez is imo a very promising player, he just disappointed in this EC. but he has potential. Kuranyi is a different story...

but the biggest diffrence compared to Spain today was the midfield. they were completely chanceless against superior players. but my hope, and the hope of most Germans lie on players like Kroos and Marin f.e. I think in the next years there will be several new faces at the German team. I'm not too afraid of the future, but we have to see.

12. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    you are right in the sense that I never saw Gomez except this tournament.

I understand he performed bad, like Luca Toni, though I did not watch Toni games except this tournament, I felt he was a class player, but could not feel same for Gomez.

needless to say my club teams forward player was invited to Brazil NT, and other was the most important I guess in Slovakia NT, he is very young, and I think he will make in a top club in Europe in a few years.

even Gomez is a good player , still I cant say I would put easily to my team.

13. Osnator

Osnator Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Osnabrück, Germany
    In my opinion, Germany neither over- nor underperformed in this tournament. We had a fairly easy draw and took full advantage of it.

Spain, however, was clearly the best team of euro 08 and deserved to win this tournament. That's why I'm not that disappointed of the final's result although I'm a Germany fan (the club-over-country type of fan, though).

So, congrats Spain! Have fun at the confed cup.

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, he can't. He played for BVB and begged to leave. When we found out Sevilla was offering 6M, we couldn't believe it.

Odonkor is a seriously one-dimensional player. He can run and cross. That's it. It's just that he does that better than anyone else eligible to play for Germany.

But since Low didn't use him much this tourney, I don't see Odonkor staying in the Germany set-up for long.

15. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    yeah why Odonkor did not play in that tournnament much, I really did not get, why he is not chosen, same for WC 06, he was playing very good, and next match he was reserve again.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me, you're wrong. This kid is a class player. He just had a bad tourney.

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my previous response on this. One-dimensional player.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he get much playing time in Spain?

He's at Real Bettis now, isn't he?

19. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I am not sure what do u mean by 1 d player, but is not this guy a wing player? so run and cross thats all, what DE was missing in that tournament mostly imo, if they had then header masters like Klose and Ballack would score more i

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez is one of Stuttgart's best players. And they're not exactly a bad team.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A winger has to contribute more than just running and crossing. And it's not like Germany's opponents are just going to let him run and cross.

If Odonkor has to try to separate himself from an opponent by doing anything else than running straight ahead, he's f#cked.

Odonkor was such crap in the one appearance he did make, they made him go to right back.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Löw misused Podolski out on the wing too. From what I've seen of him in the past he seems much better as a center forward.

It's a shame he can't get more regular playing time at Bayern.

23. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Its great to see a good skillful football team win for once, no cheap goal and defending to the bitter end kinda ugly win that I have seen too often from less deserving teams lately. The Germans started very well, it was kinda scary for the Spaniards at first because the Germans were sharp on attack for the first 15 minutes and all of a sudden then things Change good technical and fluid passes became the name of the match. This was an overall great team performance.

Marcos Senna is Man of the tourney for me. This guy is the epicenter of the Spanish team. He disrupted the opposition attack, while he energized the Spanish Attack in the middle, he was the one who passed the long midfield ball to Xavi that sets the goal Incredible individual performance by him.

Also Torres Scored only two goals but he scored the biggest goal of his career and the tournament kudos to him.

This was a much better tournament than I anticipated , so many classic matches that people wont stop watching for awhile. Congrats to Spain on their great win.

24. cookiely

cookiely Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    IMO best scene of Poldi today.
    He didn`t fall to the ground and pretended to have been hit by Mike Tyson.
    I really hate it when they do that.

25. futbolmonkey

futbolmonkey New Member

May 13, 2006
    what were you smoking today, dude......this team is a relatively new composition, reach the euro champ finals, and lose by one goal and its time
    to think about the future ??? Ballack, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Klose,
    ...they are there for the next 6 years, guaranteed.