After viewing the Poland match once more...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AngelaMerkin, Mar 3, 2006.

1. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    The real story is the quality of the back 5 (in season) vs. the front 6 (pre-season minus DMB)

And therefore, I can honestly gauge nothing from the front 6. DMB had the worst game I've ever seen him play. And the rest of the guys were all in preseason form. Had Mastro not been injured a brief time ago maybe things would have been different as the game changed a great deal when he came on. I think what we need to take from the game is that if Gibbs can return to his starting form he had just a year or so ago, our defense is going to be fantastic at the cup. And the MLS guys once returning to form will provide key boosts throughout the tournament.

The Poland match leaves me overly-excited at the prospects of the US being able to beat a full strength, and by all accounts, very good Poland team with 5 guys not in true "game-form" and one player who had a nightmare of a day. It's too bad we won't be able to field a full MLS squad if the Revs and LA do well in the CCC for the Germany match as it would have been a true litmus test to see where those guys are at.

THis is going to be an exciting Summer.

Now for the fun part....
    my wishful thinking lineup to take the opening three points from the czechs...

------------Keller----------------
    Dolo----Gooch----Gibbs----Lewis-
    --------Reyna---JOB-------------
    -----Beasley------Convey--------
    -----Donovan----McBride---------

v. Italy

------------Keller----------------
    Dolo----Gooch----Gibbs----Lewis-
    -------------Mastro-------------
    -----Reyna----------JOB---------
    -----Donovan-----Beasley--------
    -----------McBride---------------

v. Ghana (hopefully at this point already qualified.... screw you, it's my dream)

going into the last match day we find the table as
    US 2-0-0 = 6
    Ghana 0-2-0 = 2
    Italy 0-1-1 = 1
    Czech 0-1-1 = 1
    -----------Marcus----------------
    Spector--Pope----Berhalter--Boca-
    ------------Mastro----------------
    -----Dempsey------Convey--------
    -------Donovan/Reyna 45 each----
    ----------GAM-----TT------------

ahhh.... to live in a perfect world....

2. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    I like that lineup versus the Czechs. Except I would have Pope in for Dolo...

what's the rationale for replacing dolo with spector against ghana??

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope in for Dolo ? He was probably our best player against Poland , and is our most consistent player . No way would I replace Dolo with anyone .

4. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Well in my perfect world we would already be qualified, so that would be a game to not only try and win, but get everybody into a game. If qualification is on the line then the lineup against the czechs is what I would want out there.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    How do they go from crashing Norway, Japan (1st half) and Guatemala after a 6 week camp to suddenly being in preseason form?

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^

Sidefoot, I thought the exact same thing. EJ's the only guy with any kind of "rustiness" excuse.

Dude, you need to learn the difference between wide defenders and central defenders in a 4-4-2. It's as important as understanding, I dunno, the difference between a shortstop and a 1st baseman. They're both infielders, sure, but the job descriptions are very different.

7. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Norway, besides being outclassed, was also in preseason form
    Japan, that was their first game together on that trip, I dont know about their preparation besides that.
    And Guatemala was just destroyed

This was their first game against players who were in midseason form. They held their own, but didn't do much special. The first half was dreadful to watch and the second half turned around, in my opinion, because of Pablo.

I wasn't slagging our boys because of it, just saying that it will be exciting to see how well they actually play when they are in season and playing a lot of games. I for one was never falling all over myself from those games... though Dempsey impressed, and they were fun to watch. Which is why this Germany friendly has the potential to be a lot of fun to see as a measuring stick.

Three friendlies and a couple closed door scrimmages does not get you in anything but preseason form. Go watch most guys in the MLB in the world baseball classic right now and tell me they aren't still in preseason shape, there's a sharpness that's lacking. And though lacking that sharpness, the boys still pulled out a win, in Europe, against a quality side.

8. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    MLS guys just looked a bit nervous. It was probably the highest level game many had played in in quite some time. There is so much pressure on players to earn a spot (and some serious cash and exposure if selected).

In the second half players calm down a bit and Mastroeni and Convey made the difference.

9. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Who would you like better for a holding midfielder when Reyna/O'Brien are out, Zavagnin or Peter Vagenas ? ... why Vagenas isn't in Bruce Arena WC plan ? i thought he is good and better than Zavagnin.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But that's not what you said in the original post.

I also think that the Poland domestic players are just returning off their winter break.

According to reliable sources, aka Galaxy fans and management, Pete sucks.

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    really ? i thought he is an olympian and i saw he scored the goal for Galaxy in good fashion ( i think it was in the first Galaxy- Chivas encounter )

12. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thus it's ironic that the worst player on the pitch, for either team, was DMB, the guy who plays for the best club team (of the Americans).

seriously, DMB was so bad in this game. thread starter noted it, i guarantee you, the more you watch it, the worse he gets. playing with that little confidence, it's gonna be tough for DMB to hold off Convey. but the good news is, Beasley can't possibly play any worse than that. it's impossible.

13. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Barring injury Pope won't start for anyone this summer. We're still putting way too much emphasis on the results against Norway's youth team (some perspective here I saw this same team, their under 21s play against England's and lost 3-1) and a 2nd rate Japanese team. This is for Pope, TT and Dempsey. I hope all 3 do well against better competition but let's not jump the gun on saying they are it.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    after all Pope is only the best defender in the history of USA soccer.WE would not want to put too much emphasis on his 2 world cups and 80 caps. Especially if he is completely healthy again. There are too many new and tastier flavors of the month out there to consider Steady Eddie. :)

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i agree eddie has a fair shot and value... but gooch is a "flavor of the month"? really?

16. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I agree. Certain guys belong on the field at all times. He's one of them. Very capable dude.

Besides.... They don't even play the same postion.

17. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    he has a lot of things going on in his mind right now ....

18. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    there should not be even a question. Dollo is a lock along with Donovan, keller etc .. he is very mobile back there, and along that right line, also caplable sending great crossing .....and another advantage is, he will play in his back yard

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope for Gibbs would work for me. Otherwise the lineup looks good. JOB and Reyna MUST be healthy.

20. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my dream lineup:

------------Keller------------

---Dolo---Onyewu--Berhalter-

--Dempsey-Reyna--O'Brien---
    ----------Donovan----------
    ----Johnson------Beasley----
    -----------Mcbride----------

21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    In the left mid, I actually like Noonan a lot. Convey is good to just from this game, and also has a better cross and speed than Noonan. But Noonan has a better finishing ability than Convey.