After Mexico... how's our WC roster looking?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Who, if anyone, just earned a plane ticket to Germany tonight? Or at least very serious consideration?

I'll begin by saying that the following players are already a lock if they're remotely healthy:

Keller
    Donovan
    Beasley
    Reyna
    McBride
    Johnson
    Onyewu
    Bocanegra
    O'Brien (if he ever gets healthy again)
    Cherundolo (ditto)

Lewis is definitely going, but as a starting LB or a backup midfielder? Remains to be seen, but I'd love to see him lock down that LB spot.

I think Hejduk earned his ticket. Back up to the fullbacks. And, as much as he's never been my favorite, he played the same game effectively against Portugal last time out, and frankly he was one of the only guys to come out with any credit at all in France '98. Safe to say he's in (as a BACKUP).

I'm convinced Armas and Ralston are emergency backups only. If anybody can step up and take their roster spots... sorry fellas. But they didn't lose their spots tonight. As far as I'm concerned... on the bubble.

I'm sure you all have tons to add to this.

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Nothing's changed with this game.

Seriously.

The bubble guys are still on the bubble. Arena keeps saying that this year he's playing to qualify and that next year is another story. Guys who are important now may not be on the team next year. This game did nothing to change that.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Of the players on the bubble, Berhalter probably helped himself the most. Cherundolo, Gooch, Boca, Gibbs and Lewis are probably locks on defense. Two or three other defenders will be taken. Hejduk and Pope are probably ahead of Berhalter. He has to worry about young players such as Marshall or Spector getting that last spot. His play against Mexico was a reminder that he's still a useful player.

4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hejduk and Berhalter play different positions. I don't think they're competing with each other.

I'm not a huge Berhalter fan, but I have to believe he's ahead of Pope at this point. (Is there some reason Pope isn't with the team today?)

What Ursula said is right on. As much as people gripe about Bruce 'playing favorites', Bruce is all about building a team in an orderly fashion. Just because you played in the past makes no difference if someone comes along who's better -- and has time to work into the system.

Hence, expect to see Spector on the team next year.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ouch, I totally forgot about Gibbs. Yeah, put him in the first group. A lock if remotely healthy.

6. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are two things that need to be kept in mind about the World Cup.

The first is flexibility. You have a limited roster -- 23 players -- and three of those spots go to keepers. So that leaves you with 20 places and 10 field positions for 3+ games. It really helps to bring a player or three capable of playing multiple positions. I think this is one reason guys like Quaranta, Convey, and Dempsey should get long looks. Hejduk helps himself by being able to back up at both fullback spots. And the Lewis to LB experiment is a good one because previously he was really only capable of playing one position. Similarly, I think DMB's move to PSV has been fruitful since he is often playing up top much more often AND playing on the right side.

The second is that the World Cup is a pretty grueling competition, and is becoming more and more of a young person's game. It helps to have players with lots of natural fitness and the ability to recover their legs quickly. Incidentally, I think this also helps Frankie.

On the roster for sure -- if healthy -- are, in my mind, these players:

McBride
    GAM
    Donovan
    Beasley
    Reyna
    JOB
    Cherundolo
    Gooch
    Bocanegra
    Keller
    Mastro

Eddie Lewis and Cory Gibbs are probably as close to locks as you can get without actually being one.

I think the other spots are up for grabs, unless I'm forgetting someone, which is quite possible.

7. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think that berhalter is ahead of pope. I am starting to think that pope's time is coming to an end with the Nat's. Convey also gets thrown into the mix as either a backup in the defense or midfield. I think that players like lewis and convey who can play 2 posititions are going to have an edge over the guys who can only play one.
    I just keep thinking how nice it is that we can be debating who will be going over there now instead of waiting to the last game of WCQ.

8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Lemme take a stab at a WC Roster

GK
    Keller (starter)
    Friedel (experienced sub)
    Howard (Get him some experience)

Def
    Onyewu
    Bocanegra
    Pope
    Lewis
    Cherundolo
    Gibbs
    Conrad

Mid
    Beasley
    Reyna
    O'Brien
    Ralston
    Mastroeni
    Quaranta
    Wolff
    Dempsey (will be more experienced in MLS by then and could do well for NT)

Att
    Donovan
    McBride
    Johnson
    Twellman (Young player with some potential -- get him some experience)
    Adu (Won't play except in a blowout but along to get experience)

9. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember right Friedel has retired from the national team. Twellman has been reminding me of Roy Lassiter (spelling?) a guy who can score like crazy in MLS but dosen't do too much with the Nat's. I also now that a lot of people are not big on berhalter but right now I would take him over pope.

10. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Above are the comments in bold.

11. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be my 23 man roster
    Goal: Keller, Howard, Hahnemann
    Defense: Gooch, Boca, Gibbs, Dolo, Berhalter, Conrad, Hejduk
    Midfield: Beez, Reyna, JOB, Mastroeni, Lewis, Ralston, Convey, Dempsey
    Forwards: Mcbride, Donavan, Johnson, Casey, Adu

12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Ah, hadn't heard about Friedel. I'd probably have to go with Kevin Hartman as my #3.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Twellman so far has been a mirror image of Lassiter but he's going to get another couple of chances, you just know it. Arena keeps calling him back to camp now, so it's only a matter of time before he gets his chance to win or lose a spot.

Friedel has retired from the nats. So that means Hahnemann, Howard, Reis, and possibly Cannon are all in the mix to back up Keller. If Friedel were still in it, he and Keller would be fighting for #1 all over again, but that's not an issue this time around.

I agree with somebody who said Berhalter's the player who helped himself the most tonight. And Hejduk also did a pretty good job of proving that he still has some use out wide in defense in a backup role. He's a hot-head and he leaves his feet at times he shouldn't and isn't that great getting forward, despite his speed, but he's fast enough to be serviceable against wingers, he's got a motor that won't quit and the heart of a Rudy. And can back up either fullback.

14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Yeah, I thought about Conor Casey, too. He could well get a nod if he continues to do well in Germany.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I agree with one of the moderators who responded to my original post that it's VERY early to call a roster as there are still 3 qualifiers and a bunch of early friendlies next year, and a bunch of bubble guys will get called up in some of those. The bubble guys are still on the bubble. I just wondered who the rest of you think helped out their cause.

Any consensus that Berhalter and Hejduk reminded Arena why they're in the player pool? And that Lewis is a near-lock (though not necessarily as starting LB, that's still to be determined)? I don't think Armas or Ralston really made a case for themselves either for further inclusion or to be dropped from consideration to make the squad. My opinion.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think he still merits a look or three as a back-up. Though undeniably EJ's asserted himself ahead of him on the depth chart.

17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Yeah, but it's FUN! :)

18. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It maybe early but it is still worth knocking around names for a 23 man roster. Its still three years till the next presidential election and people are talking about who is going to run.

19. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree, I also think that Casey is ahead of Twellmen on the depth chart.

20. essie_majedi

essie_majedi New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    So. Cal
    23-Man Squad for Germany:

Goalkeepers:
    Kasey Keller
    Tim Howard
    Marcus Hanhemann

Defenders:
    Onweyu Oguchi
    Gregg Berhalter
    Jimmy Conrad
    Frank Hejduk
    Cory Gibbs
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Steve Cherundolo

Midfielders:
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Clint Dempsey
    Pablo Mastroani
    Bobby Convey
    Eddie Lewis
    Claudio Reyna
    Santino Quauranta
    John O'Brian

Forwards:
    Landon Donovan
    Eddie Johnson
    Taylor Twellman
    Jeff Cunnigham
    Brain McBride

21. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that its a toss up between Rolston and Quauranta. The only thing is that Rolston has been starting and has looked ok. The other way to look at it is if you want to give guys the experience of a WC then I would take Quauranta and Adu.
    Even though I am a Rapids fan and think that Cunningham has done great things for us, I am not sure if he gets a roster spot for the WC. I heard Mooch a couple of weeks ago during the Rapids game and he said that their main concern with him is that he will get lost during the game. He could be used as "super sub" but will not be a starter.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, though I think it's too early to call (3 more quals, an entire season of Euro club soccer, and a bunch of early friendlies before the final tune-ups). Ok, I'm game. Here goes.

Keller (lock)
    Howard
    Hahnemann

Bocanegra (lock)
    Onyewu (lock)
    Cherundolo (lock)
    Gibbs
    Berhalter
    Hejduk
    Conrad
    Lewis
    Reyna (lock)
    Beasley (lock)
    Donovan (lock)
    JOB (lock... though I give him 50/50 on staying healthy)
    Mastro
    Convey
    Dempsey
    Quaranta
    McBride (lock)
    GAM (lock)
    Casey
    Cunningham

Outside looking in... could be considered, or be among the final cuts...
    Ralston
    Armas
    Twellman
    Specter
    Albright
    Wolff
    a bunch of guys at GK, including Reis, Cannon, or Walker, a few others... really, the next tier down at GK is pretty crowded, wouldn't you say?

23. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that its going to be a dog fight for that 3rd GK spot. I am leaning towards Hahnemann, but it could go to anyone.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh, and I forgot Mapp... outside looking in

25. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see in the next 3 quals, Hahnemann, Howard and either Cannon or Reis getting the starts in net.