After game 1, Wizards fans working together

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by Spoon, Mar 22, 2009.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Mods, thanks for merging. A centralized conversation is much better.

We appreciate the input from non-regulars and our Canadian visitors. The look from outside is always far different than from within.

Eric, keep up the good communication. We're not always going to agree with everyone, I certainly don't always agree with you, but as long as we stay civil the differences in our opinions will lead to a better understanding and a better section. I do hope that you see the general disagreement within the section about cursing. To a person most of the people posting curse in a casual conversation. What most don't want to be known as a supporters section for is that we only know how to curse in unison. And I would suspect that at some point the team would also try to get involved. We don't need to re-hash the entire conversation because everyone has made their points, just know that you'll be in the minority with loud cursing chants and if you have any respect for the section I'd ask that you take it into consideration when you start chants. And, from what I've read, it appears that you plan on doing so. Thank you for that.

Robert, bring the megaphone. I used it well late last year and completely forgot about it on Saturday.

Rope off a section for the drums, but we're not saving seats. If you aren't there by game time, we'll do our best to get you there. But the Sudakas HAVE to reason with us and understand the problems they cause. I simply don't understand the desire to come in 10 minutes after kick off, but oh well.

I don't know if a person down in front of the section, on the field level, would do much better (maybe they would with a megaphone). I think raised within the section is a far better idea.

The section will grow and improve with time. These are growing pains and the more I think about it the more I realize the fact. But every group needs to keep in mind that we are at our best when we do the simple stuff, do it for more than three repetitions, and do it in unison. As has been mentioned by more than one person, if we have 2-3 different chants going we are simply wasting our time.

Can we stop talking about getting the leaders together and get it done? I'm not one of the official leaders, but Justice and I should be involved because peopel are looking to us for chants. Robert, Chris, Brian, Eric, Sudakas, Justice, Jeff and I (did I leave anyone out?) need to meet for 15-20 minutes and agree on some things. This isn't a brain storming session, but a meeting to convince one another that we all have a common goal and will work together. It sure would be nice if the team helped set that up.... ;)

I'm glad that two days later we are finally starting to have some decent conversations about this. Keep it up folks.

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Something I just thought about....

Saturday did suck, I'll admit that. But keep in mind what we're comparing ourselves against. The last two games of last season were AMAZING. Yeah Chad is right that there were games in the past when 50 people sounded better, but I also think those were few and far between. We are something completely different from 2006-7 to now. And let's not forget that most of the people at Saturday's game were at those two games last year. Just because we weren't all that great after a 5 month break doesn't mean that we've lost it. We had our moments, but we were very disorganized at times as well. I really think, as Alex pointed out, that the drums moving to the middle of the section will fix a lot of other issues. From there, it's no where but up.

Sunday April 5th. That's when we come together!

3. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Re: After game #1, what now? Taking the section back.

Is there anything that prevents us from bringing in those little hand-sized megaphones? The talk about bringing in a bigger version for the yell leader got me thinking about that. Heck, what about them being passed out to the fans like the water bottles were?

A little, blue, plastic hand-held megaphone with 'Wizards' on it. Sam?

4. JUSTICE!

JUSTICE! New Member

May 18, 2008

I bet the Hand would make a good megaphone too. Would give us an excuse to bring it in.

But on a seriously note I was disappointed with myself as well as the rest of the section. I did sing long to some of the more 'poorly' choosen chants I admit. I try to start other chants and when I did, the whole section would get going. Unfortunately like a lot of people, getting there a little early and all the built up energy blown on the tailgating.

I have some ideas and plans and will get with the proper people to ensure that San Jose gets the most intense and crazy road game of the year. I like think that we are going to be similar to a large swarm of bees. We will look completely unorganized, but once its game time, we will combine all our forces to sting the crap out of San Jose's spirit.

5. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They did that in the past...I think I have 6 or 7 of them...3 are on my self with autographed mini-balls on top of them.

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings from the back of the Cauldron, at least for Game 1. I did not intend to stand in the back, but alas when you are as punctual as my wife and I are, sometimes that's your only option.

Now, I hate sitting in the back. I'm not the most self-confident individuals, at least not in the respects of being the one guy that is yelling chants and singing songs from the middle of a bunch of quiet. I even tried this time - not by myself, but with someone else who was interested in chanting and we tried to join in. We met limited success and eventually he left, probably to find a place closer to the 'core' as to have an opportunity to chant and sing.

As for whatever happened on Sat. - I couldn't hear any of it. Obviously we were missing a presence, as most of the time I could at least determine what was going on, even if I didn't feel outgoing enough to join in from where I was at. Was there a bass drum in the section? That's usually what I key off of... but I don't remember hearing it much. But there were times when I saw people doing _some_ sort of chant up front and I had no idea what it was.

As to what I think might help is if a bunch (20-30) of the 'active' members of the section were to move all the way back and sit at the very back of the section. These people would need to be in charge of starting the songs and chants and doing so in such a manner that the entire section in front of them would hear what they were doing and be able to follow along. Then the rest of the 'active' folk could stay at the front and continue to cheer from there...

Ultimately, I think the more people who move back in the section, the better off we'll be. Now - I realize that moving away from the front is a sacrifice, and I don't think that we want to move _everyone_ away from the front, but I promise that you'll get a bunch of people chanting and singing along that you wouldn't have otherwise if you move a decent number of folk to the back of the section - with your voices directed towards and over the folk, like me, who hate hearing the sound of their own voice carrying over everyone. If you can make it so that they don't hear their own voice alone but rather have their voice integrated with a bunch of other people, some of which may be just as poor at singing, then they will lose their inhibitions to chanting and singing and let it out.

We're currently sending most of our sound straight across the field, which is good (that's where we really want it to go) but it's not the most efficient use of our sound. Stick a good number of people at the back where their sound can be used to encourage all those in front of them _as well_ as going across the field and I think we'll be a lot better off.

Again, I know that most of you who are always in the front few rows probably like it there a lot - although, apart from knowing that you'll be amongst people who _are_ going to sing and chant and stuff, I don't know why... well, I admit that I'd love to be a part of Jimmy C crashing the Cauldron, or getting on TV because your in the front... but really, the site-line from the railings at the back are a lot better - it's so hard to see what's going on when you're right at field level...

I also thought that it would be interesting to put the drums up behind the railings at the back of the section too... Not only would it not take up as much seating space in the Cauldron but I think that the bass drum would project a lot better into the section and even onto the field. A lot of it's sound is going straight into the stands right now...

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter - but I do realize that I might be asking too much... Maybe try it out sometime, see if it works... if it doesn't - well, we all know that everyone could probably squish into the front rows after halftime or whatnot (In this sense I have always thought of the front rows of the Cauldron akin to a clown car - I've seen people pile into that area until I'm _sure_ that it can't possibly accept another person, and yet I will continue to see people enter the section for the remainder of the game...)

7. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area

OK, well, so much for that.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In November 2006 the DC Boards had this post, edited for brevity:

Code:
    All of the members of the Barra Brava need a gut check. 

Our performance last night bordered on pathetic. 

The most important home game of the year and people stood still, 
    even sat down in some case, did not sing, did not chant, did not jump,
     and even smirked at those of us who were doing what the Barra is supposed to do.

Chanting and singing for 90 minutes is not a requirement
     to be a passionate supporter of the club or even a member
     of the Barra but it is a requirement to stand in
     sections 135 and 136 of Barra.

Going to a DC United game is not about; the tailgate;
     witty banter; funny banners, beer, food, scoping out the women,
     or yelling curse words in public. 
    It is about supporting the team in the most vocal and visual manner
     possible for 90 minutes.

As the tailgates have grown more and more legendary
     the Barra has lost focus and has attracted to many drunks,
     underage punks and people who think we are there
     for their entertainment.

Everyone enjoys the tailgates, the food, the beer and the bottles.
     The have helped with recruitment and brought a sense
     of community to the Barra but they are not the reason
     the Barra exists.

Is the Barra a social club or a supporters club?

The number of newbies is not an excuse. 
    The Barra is not for everyone and that is fine but each
     member should tell newbies what is expected from them.
     Most of the songs are very very simple and even a
     red bull donkey could learn the words in a matter of seconds.

Shame on the girls who spent the 1st 5 minutes of the second
     half sitting in their sits right behind the drummers.

Shame on the regulars who in the 82nd minute down
     a goal started chanting for the beer man.

Shame on everybody who jumps and sings in the
     drum circle at half time but did not jump and
     sing during the game.

Shame on the people who danced out
     of the stadium laughing and carrying on like
     we had just won the game.

Obviously some of the issues are similar, some are different. In the Liverpool threads here and on sites in England there have been calls to "Reclaim the Kop".

This is not a new issue. It is not unique to us. It's time to get back to basics, everyone on the same page bringing it for 90 minutes (plus stoppage time!)

9. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may have been brought up already but what about getting the "Big screen":rolleyes: to put up the word of "Hillcrest road" and play the music while we sang it 3 or 4 times a game....maybe try to get all the stadium involved.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will binoculars be furnished?

11. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true!

12. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

The regular Cauldron folk? This once again seems like a shot at the younger supporters who although not as "regular".....

I did not mean it as a taking a shot at you. I meant when the normal wizards chants and songs died down, the profanity filled chants were clearly audible. Not taking a shot, no offense. I really liked the Bullhorn dude from the pre-party, he had some charisma, I know Ben has worked the Cauldron and SudaKCas into a frenzy before too. Anyone who knows all the songs would be good, new person or old person.

13. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

Also, if there are going to be " cheerleader wizards girls" Why are they not participating in hyping up the crowds around the cauldron, they should know some of the chants and songs, minus the "sparrow" I guess. I dont know, put the hot chicks to work.
    m

14. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree...even tho i am not a fan of thr new girls( not that they weren't nice to look at as the walked away)...Not the workers of the last two season girls and too much like the other teams "Cheer leaders" Not a fan of cheerleaders in soccer!! Other than the "Chant leader" in the stands with the fans!!!

15. EricKingh8sTheFire

EricKingh8sTheFire New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The big Euro clubs have a guy standing in the front, and a guy in the middle with a megaphone, they organize 95% of the chants, in some clubs 100% of them...THey obviously have bigger supporter sections but it wouldn't hurt to try it out..but I wouldn't want the megaphone guy chanting the whole chant through the megaphone, I think that would suck away the passion from the songs...I think the megaphone man starts them up, and when the crowd is full throttle, puts down his megaphone and joins in...and also..
    What are the Sudakos doing? Marching into a crowded section 10 minutes after kick off with drums and whatnot was an inconvienece to everyone, does anyone have any contact with them, to maybe say.."stop showing up 10 minutes after the game demanding the same space as always."

16. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's been done, multiple times.

17. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

Good points, I notice this on JLeague broadcasts as well, I think using it to start up the chants would be a good start. It helps the song start in Unison, sometimes it takes a bit for the rest of the section to catch on, and by the time they do, the ones who started it, are almost done. Starts and Ends would be enough.

We Can do this.

M

18. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We've done that before, and indeed are looking to do it again this year. We can't necessarily get up on a stand, but I think that it we had the same megaphone as we used to have at Arrowhead, we could pull that off.

As to the Sudakas, I think we've also gone down that line of reasoning with them before, and you see the effect it's had. Short of closing off the section at kickoff (not an entirely bad idea, IMO) I don't think you're going to solve it.

And please don't take this as a slam, because it's really not meant to be that.... Your reply is EXACTLY why I make the argument for one of the established old guard to be the "chant leader" of the section. I don't want to hold down the enthusiasm of the newcomers - rather I want to channel it into new and untried ways of improving our section.

Ben, Stu, Robert, myself and many others have been around, we've been through the Curt Johnson meltdown and we've seen the bad times of a Front Office who has no incentive to support the supporters. We don't want to go back to that - EVER! - so we get rightly offended when the hard work that we've put in to building this section into what you see today.

There's a great benefit to hanging around, getting to know the more experienced folks and sharing your passion and commitment to the Wizards that way rather than charging headlong into the fire thinking you know everything.

19. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didnt take that as a slam...I've been talkign with Ben and I think respect goes both ways, so I think it would clearly make more season of one of the older lads was in charge of the megaphones,they've been around long enough to have experience to direct, but mostly because they know all of the chants, new and old (mostly).. There were times when we would start "take me home" or smoething like that, and I'd look behind me and only 5 people would be half singing, and the people further back couldn't hear it to save their lives...so yeah having an old timer worker the megaphones wouldn't be a bad idea at all...and when NEW chants were developed, during the pre-game tailgaiting, we would discuss them, sing them out, then he could add them to the megaphone.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    By mandating that all drums brought in the Cauldron go in the "drum zone", we could make sure we have a better shot of keeping everyone on the same page.

21. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of old timers...how do you guys always post on BS during the day when your suppose to be at work? Todays my day off, are you guys slagging at your jobs, or jobless? =)

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I work out of my house. I have more flexibility, but often have to work Sunday nights til 4am etc.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm at work right now. :D

24. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work out of my home also, so I have a work PC running and a personal PC running.

25. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol touche to all of you.