After game 1, Wizards fans working together

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by Spoon, Mar 22, 2009.

1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right, it's time for solutions. We are aware that we sucked!

2. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: After game #1, what now? Taking the section back.

Sorry to jump in here, but when did you hear f*** the USA chants? During the game?

I know that Toronto fans made it a specific point to sing your national anthem out of respect. I dont recall any 'anti USA' chants.

Anyways, again, thanks for those of the Cauldron that made TFC fans feel welcome.

3. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the idea of a centralized location for the drums. I realize the Argies like to come in late and as a group. I think that's kinda cool. I also know that it can get a little bit crazy when they just pile in where everyone else is sitting. But I think that we — or at least the people who were around me — could be a little more accommodating in helping them figure out it's too packed.

I was kinda shocked at how some people told them to get out, shooing them away and mockingly saying adios. I used what limited Spanish — thank God for Robert Duran and NO MAS! — I had in talking to the guy in the Hirsig jersey about where open spots were. He was very reasonable and tried to usher everybody into that section.

We could have a few people who get into the stadium early mark out an area for them and the drums and let people know what's going on. It would avoid fights, tension and the possibility of a language-barrier inspired scuffle.

just a thought.

4. Mdarney

Mdarney Member

Apr 3, 2005
    KC Midtown
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback. As I stated, I will talk to the FO about "roping off" a section in the middle of the Cauldron to house the drums. I don't think this will be a problem.

As to the Argies (Sudakas) coming in late...this has been an ongoing discussion since 2007. They prefere to come in about 10 minutes or so after the start of the match. That's fine, I personally have no problem with that if it's what they want to do. The problem we've had in the past is when they come in late, they still want to be in the middle of the section. Unfortunately, with the growth we have experienced in the section over the last two seasons, that area is usually completely filled in when they arrive. We've talked with them about it and explained the situation...they basically have to find open space to occupy when they come in late. Personally, I don't think we should get into the habit of "saving seats" on a regular basis for any specific ISC, especially since the seating issue is due to their choice of entering late.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's always discussed and we never come up with a good one. The closest we have is the development of the Hillcrest Road song.

7. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whats the "hillcrest road song" or is that the name that has come up and no lyrics yet?

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

This song has the greatest potential. Maybe someone can re-post the words...

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hillcrest Road take me home
    to the place where I belong
    Kansas City, Wizards Country
    Take me home, Hillcrest Road.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ"]YouTube - John Denver - Country Roads[/ame]

Rinse. Repeat. There's another verse but let's work on this for now.

10. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To the tune of John Denver's "Country Roads"

Hillcrest Road,
    take me home,
    to the place,
    I belong.

Kansas City,
    Wizards country

Hillcrest Road,
    take me home.

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish I could post pictures of the goosebumps that just popped up listening to that clip and thinking about the entire Cauldron singing that when we march into Hillcrest Road..

12. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually liked that one. It only came about like 3 times, and slowly picked up steam.

I'm on here all the time, and it still took me a few times before I had it down. Maybe we need to come up with an updated chants sheet...since the one last year still listed the old, non-spanish 'forza kc wiz' chant. I still can't figure that one out, and I took 4 years of spanish in high school.*

*-by far my worst class, though.:D

13. CretanBull

CretanBull New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First off I'd like to thank the Cauldron and other KC supporters groups for hosting a GREAT tailgate party. I made a point of talking to as many KC supporters as I could and I have to say that everyone that I met, without exception, was pure class. I won't hesitate to visit again and if any of you make it up to Toronto you'll be welcomed as friends (edit: bring the 'Hand of Justice' with you!)

I didn't know what to expect when I decided to head down to KC, but the whole trip was great. Friendly people, great food, better weather than what I left behind and some interesting touristy things to do (I went to the Negro League Baseball Museum and learned alot about that era of baseball's history). If you check out the forums at www.redpatchboys.ca you'll see that most people agree that the trip was one of the best, even the best, road trip that our group has ever been on. Some of our members even changed thier travel plans to stay in KC longer than they intended to.

I'm compelled to comment on the accusation of anti-American chants. I can say with 100% certainty that they did not happen. We sang your National anthem with pride, passion and respect - there was nothing mocking about it. Ask any of the KC supporters who sat in the section next to us. Most of them stood and applauded our efforts, and many of them came over to shake hands with us. During the game we did not chant "*** the USA". I don't know what you thought you heard, but we didn't have any chants with "USA" in them at all. Aside from the stupidity of such a chant (we'd be 100 Canadians surrounded by 300 million Americans), that sentiment doesn't exist within our group. Everyone had a great time in Kansas and had nothing but good things to say. Beyond that, we were travelling with American TFC fans from Detroit and Buffalo who are very much apart of our group. How do you think they'd feel if we chanted "*** the USA"?

Almost all of our chants were in support of our team and had nothing to do with yours. The only chants that were directed towards KC were "Can you hear Kansas sing?", "You only sing when you score" and "Take me out the the ball game" (which you're gonna get until you move to your SSS!). None of those are particularly agrressive or offensive and can't be thought of as being anti-American in any way. Every other chant that we sung was in support of our side.

I'm going to keep my nose out of your internal business, but it'd be nice to see you guys come together. When you aren't chanting in unison nothing but garbled noise can be heard coming from your section. From our perspective, it's a little odd when you see a small group of people with angry faces giving us the finger singing something that can't be heard when they rest of the group is facing the pitch and singing something about the Wizards that can't really be heard either.

All in all I had a great time in KC, thanks for everything and see you again!

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

qft.

15. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

I think I have some photos of Ben taking the lead from some previous games, I like the idea of the Bullhorn Bearer and the Drums all in the center of the group or even Center Back. If they keep the positive vibe going, the negativity would get lost. A cheerleader so to speak, one who has been around awhile, would know when to run through the right chants and songs at the right times. It seemed like the negativity came to the forefront when the regular Cauldron folks were not up to par. Dont give them any dead-airtime, keep the real songs and chants going.

“Profanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple.”-David Keuck

16. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Worth repeating...in hopes that it might sink in a bit.

17. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

some need to reread this over and over!

18. EricKingh8sTheFire

EricKingh8sTheFire New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the new title of the thread...I've talked with alot of guys from the Cauldron, and I think we all know what the problem is now and what to do to make it better..I've had really good talks with Ben, Yanksoccer, and our resident Scouse friend, as well as just casual dialouge throughout the threads, and I think alot of positive things have been discussed and ideas have been formed..I dont get the above post because all people cus, especially in sporting events, but I think when were talking about cussing in quanity, I understand and get it..and as I've said, I've had alot of talks with people from different supporters groups, and I think we will start to see the Cauldron take shape with every helping everyone...It will be a beautiful thing, of this im sure.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Quoted for f*cking truth. AND irony!

20. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how is that ironic?

22. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he meant his cussing in his response was ironic?

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

And I think he was calling me a conversational cripple. :(

24. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think thats offensive to people who really are conversationally crippled!!!:mad:!...................................................:rolleyes:

25. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that the wedge section on the north side of the hand rail tends to be underutilised. Now I know that we want to be careful about having a segregated section but, as it was pointed out, they are the ones who choose to come in late. Could that be a place we try to set aside for them?