After Action Report: Olympics 2008

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by UNC4EVER, Aug 19, 2008.

1. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    It ain't over yet, but I thought I'd start a thread where folks could muse over what we saw and didn't see. I'll start.

Germany. I still say, great team. They had a brutal group and a tough Knockout draw, so there are lots of reasons to explain their fate. Yet in the final analysis they just didn't seem to show up? Do they have some Olympic curse? This did not look like the WC team, despite the fact the roster was essentially the same. Es tut mir leid. Ich bin ein begeisterter Anhanger. But I just didn't see the passion-- this result seemed self-inflicted. Sorry ladies, and best luck in the future (unless you are playing USA)!

USA. Very strategic. We jumped right out there in game one and really lowered expectations. Everyone thought we were going to crater. Then we built momentum through the tourney. I am more optimistic now than at any point in the tourney that USA might take gold, but I gotta say, we have angels on our shoulders to be where we are, and while Brazil's defense is quite weak, if we match their scoring and win, I will be in a delighted daze that will last some time. Best of luck, USA!

2. guitargod13

guitargod13 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    :) You're right about Germany being a great team, but I think their age showed in the Brazil match. Sometimes youth can trump experience. Brazil's defence is suspect and the U.S. should play to that by putting preassure on the middle instead of the flanking runs where the speed of Brazil makes for tough penetration. Anyway, I'm very proud of our Ladies being able to regroup from that stinky first match and make it to the gold medal game. GO U.S.A.!!!!!

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that sucking big green slimy rocks in the first match was not actually part of Pia's strategy.