After 2006?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by KCWiz, Jul 9, 2005.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I read the current contract for ESPN showing WC and MLS games runs through 2006. What happens after that? Is MLS going to re-up with ESPN? I hope so.

2. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    If MLS has any intention of becoming a major sport in the US then they need to stick with ESPN for TV rights. The only way they should leave ESPN is if they could get a deal with NBC or CBS for a weekly national game. They can't go strictly to FSC or a channel like that because it will limit their exposure to all of the US.

3. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Yeah, I'd imagine a renewal with the ESPN networks, probably on a revenue sharing basis.

FSC/FSE will probably renew their package unless it becomes a huge money-loser, which is unlikely as EPL, FA Cup, Copa Libertadores/Sudamericana, and Liga Mexicana are the only other FSI products that aren't known money-losers.

Of course, SUM needs to guarantee that it will have the 2010 World Cup as that will likely remain the biggest potential moneymaker. SoccerTV has hinted that any competition for WC2010 will most likely come from either a Comcast/PPV/Gol TV partnership or NewsCorp. Univision might be out because it is projected to break even in 2006 but not much more. That would mean the rights in all languages are up for bidding. An SUM/Telemundo/Televisa (owner of Club America and a likely US spin-off in MLS) partnership probably would outbid FOX and Comcast in order to protect MLS (since it realistically needs to be on ESPN or ESPN 2 to be viable to sponsors).

4. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Is anyone else in fear that the World Cup will become Pay-Per-View after 2006?

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything is possible but because the World Cup is a money maker I think you'll see ESPN step up to the plate. The only worry would be the cost of the rights.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Doesn't FIFA specifically require broadcast rights holders to show the games by air or cable? And part of FIFA's insistence on one team wearing all dark and the other all white in most matches is to accommodate markets where black & white TV's are used, IINM.

In any case, I think FIFA understands that it is in its own interest to make sure that the matches are available to as many viewers as possible.

7. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    If FIFA were smart they would have this rule. I guess what I’m most afraid of is not the whole Cup going to pay per view but games not involving the US and not the Final becoming some sort of Pay-Per-View package.

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    In the J/K World Cup, FIFA sold the Latin American rights to DirecTV Latin America. Thus the Latin American countries could watch only their own countries' games, plus the opening game/Final on free TV. All the other games, they must subscribe to DirecTV Latin American system to watch. If someone only had cable or Sky Latin America, he was screwed. This is mainly DirecTV Latin America's strategy to increase subscribe base, much like DirecTV USA's use of NFL Sunday Ticket...

So one can easily imagine that for the WC beyond 2006, DirecTV or Dish Network gets the exclusive rights for U.S.A. So only USA's games, plus the opening game/Final will be on ESPN/ABC.

9. Steigs

Steigs BigSoccer Supporter

May 21, 2001
    Washington
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the FIFA rule about free tv is just for the home country's games and maybe the final. I'm pretty sure someone could take the rest of the Cup pay-per-view here.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can see FSC renewing their package. Outside of Copa L. does anyone (who doesn't speak Spanish) care about FSE??

SoccerTV also "hinted" something about MLS folding in 1999, and FMF putting a Mexican team in the Coliseum/Rose Bowl/other LA stadium.

SoccerTV also "hinted" something about (then) Fox Sports World changing and becoming Fox NASCAR Channel.

He talks out of his ass a lot, seems to be somewhat anti-MLS, and i've since learned not to pay too much attention to him.

2010 World Cup will be on TV (most likely ESPN networks, ESPN, ESPN2, Classic, and ABC) and some Spanish TV channel(s). I'm not holding my breath for PPV (setanta, in demand, or other provider) to show any World Cup matches.

11. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    i'm not sure how it works but in Bolivia while i was there nobody had C-band or DBS satellites. Most of them had analog cable and to my surprise i saw E network, mtv, hbo, cinemax, and fox sports world es coming from argentina. my uncle even said they get espn. I'm pretty sure they got to watch all of the games without subscribing to directv latin america.

12. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    MLS can't go exclusive to FSC. It would be like back in the '80s, when the NHL didn't have a national TV contract, going with a patchwork network of regional SportsChannel affilliates on cable.

I still think MLS should try and forge a partnership with NBC in addtion to staying on FSC. NBC has had success with their deal with the AFL (a time buy where any profits were shared by the network and league) and they have the same type of deal in place with the NHL once they go back into business. While I don't know how successful such a deal would be, getting MLS a spot on an over-the-air network would give the league some push going forward.

13. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Just make sure any MLS game that is on NBC during the Stanley Cup Playoffs is before the hockey game or else bigsoccer will go nuts every weekend with OT hockey games.