Afshin Ghotbi coaching Perspolis

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Afshin, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    I think you mean Emad Reza and NOT Karimi. Karimi has been out with an eye injury for a few months now.

But I agree with you on the questionable moves by Viera. Once he took those two guys out, any hope for a counter attacking play was out. Thatr allowed PP to push every one forward.

2. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    7 minutes felt like too much to me too. But a friend who claims he stepwatched it tells me that it was about right. I have no opinion on that unless I get to time it myself :)

3. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Yeah sorry...I've been doing that a lot lately. Thinking of one player and writing another one down!

While I agree that refs don't normally give 7 minute stoppage time, I'm gonna wait for 90 to see what they say about it all. All angles of the refereeing will be analyzed.

4. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    On a slightly different note, what nights and tines 90 gets broadcasted?

Thanks,

5. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I think it's Monday nights; here is the link to the most recent one which includes the 7 minute extra time dispute:

http://www.iranproleague.net/video/90.cfm

Haven't watched it yet, but should be interesting.

6. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I'm hearing from the Korean media Ghotbi resigned, what's going on?

7. NoClue

NoClue New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    yup. he basically said ******** this shit. :eek:

If i could only kill 3 people in this world it would be sheis, niki and fukin stilli. ass holes. :mad:

8. M.Mehdi Karimi

M.Mehdi Karimi New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Dear Mr.Afshin Ghotbi,

I'm trying this way along with many others to get in touch with you so that I can do what I really wished to do by seeing you off at the airport while leaving Iran, but unfortunately I couldn't make it.
    In order to personally admire what you did in here and also to dedicate you something to positively remember Iran, I have prepared something worth of being dedicated which is, of course, a literary and cultural package and truly wish to find your postal address so as to dispatch it to your good side, now that you're gone.
    It was sad to see you leaving, but understandable. I wish you good health and success all through your life and truly hope to see you one day.
    For your kind info I'm from Tehran, 41 years old, a Ship's Captain in the Merchant Navy and a Musician, too.
    I guess that's all I can post in public now.

Much Love / Mehdi

9. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I think a 41 year old like yourself should pay more attention to life around him (I'm talking about the crap you're going through in Iran) than to write a love letter to some inexperienced coach whom almost lost the cup with the best squad in the league.

I still don't get it though, how can an opportunist like Ghotbi buy so many hearts in Iran?

I mean, he did the same in Korea by marrying one of their females, but come on... you sound like you're about to award him with a medal of honor for doing his job.

Its like clapping for the pilot after he lands the plane.

10. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    never knew that. interesting...

11. M.Mehdi Karimi

M.Mehdi Karimi New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Wish to get in touch with Afshin Ghotbi.

Dear Afshin,

I wish you read this blog somehow through my good luck, as I've been searching every where to find a trace of you via which I may be able to get in touch with you.
    I am M.Mehdi Karimi, 41 years old from Tehran, currently a ship's captain in the Merchant Navy and also a Musician.
    I and my family really wished to go to air port to see you off, but had no clue about the flight. However, that chance is gone and I'm now seeking a new way to get in touch with you.
    If you ever read this blog kindly send a message to m.mehdikarimi@gmail.com so that I can contact you and express my true feelings. I do promise not to bother you much.
    Wish you and your esteemed family good health and continuous success all the way.

Much love/Mehdi

12. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    I too find writing personal letters to strangers and posting them in a public forum to be odd .........

.... but I also don't get why we have to belittle those who stand out amongst us and not give them credit for their accomplishments. Ghotbi was hired by three very accomplished international coaches to be their assistant coach for their World Cup campaigns. That is an accomplishment and a true acknowledgment of his competance as a soccer coach.

Furthermore, he took the opportunity and became the coach of Perspolis, and managed to win the league. A first for Perspolis in six years. This was somethign that a few more accomplished coaches failed to deliver. Let's acknowledge that.

Why do we always have to get personal? Let's leave his personal life out of our football focused conversations. If we were discussing the merrits of family life and its effects on a football coach's ability to win tournaments then this may have been rlevant.[/quote]

No, no need for a medal, he got his from the IPL after winning the League.

I never understood that either.

13. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    You're right. I pushed it a bit 2 much huh :eek:

14. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    LOL! Maybe just a bit :)

15. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    lol is that what you think? how intriguing. wonder why you think that.

dont think any Koreans knew or much cared about who his wife is.

Infact when did they get married? and is she Korean or Korean American?

i did read a week or so go that a lot of Iranians were sad about Ghotbi leaving and angry in general about such a 'talent' leaving Iran and a Iranian woman being quoted saying "its her fault Ghotbi is leaving. She is greedy and wants more money".

Anyone else read that kind of thing?

In any case it is a big jump from being an assistant coach to being the actual manager.

16. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I don't know when they are married but she seems to be Korea ethnically and raised in Holland.

17. gtmachi

gtmachi New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    What's going on with Ghotbi leaving Iran?

He was my club soccer coach as a youth in California. I played for him for 3 or 4 years. At that time he was married to an american girl named Mary. I knew they got divorced.

18. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He didn't leave Iran after all, he re-signed with Persepolis and returned to Iran in July.

19. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    Guys,

This you might find interesting. Mehran Afshar, who lives in Iran and is a football fanatic like the most of us, wrote this report and took the photos from Perspolis camp the day that Ghotbi resigned.

http://www.lastkick.com/?p=3350

20. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    christ... who cares who he marries...

anyway, so what's the Iranian verdict on Ghotbi? Why do people love him, why do people hate him? What results did he bring to Perspolis?

I hope he goes back to Korea...

21. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Thanks for the report.