Afshin Ghotbi coaching Perspolis

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Afshin, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Slick D

Slick D New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Give away all TM secrets and weakpoints to the Koreans. :(

2. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Come on man , the guys occupation is coaching football and he got an opportunity to coach a decent team and he took advantage of that opportunity . Many foreign coaches have to coach against their native country , its nothing new , its part of football and the sad thing is that some Iranians cant accept the fact that a Iranian coached for a foreign team . If we have this mentality then Iranian coaches are going to suck like always . I am glad Ghotbi received this kind of reception , it shows that there are Iranian fans who are progressive and don’t mind the aspect of a Iranian coaching a foreign team .

3. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Very well put.

4. Slick D

Slick D New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    That's besides the point bud. Absolutely correct and there's nothing wrong w/what he's done. BUT, to receive this kind of reception from bunch of beekars, I'm just not sure if he deserves it. He has done absolutely NOTHING in Iran to deserve this.

5. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Zandi got a bigger reception when first came and what did he exactly do for Iran? Zandi just like Ghotbi both received a warm reception simply because they were coming back to their motherland even if it means being half Iranian like Zandi . And lets not forget Zandi did play for the German Uner-17 national football team and could of played against Iran .

6. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Don't really like him because of his actions after Korea vs Iran game.. it is all goo to be professional enough to see beyond nationality when it comes to doing your job... but it is another point to have some dignity towards your own nation... nobody said that Ghotbi should have helped Iran to beat Korea or something we just see nothing to be proud of when your countrymen are down on the pitch crying and sad from a loss but you are jumping around like your wife just gave birth to a 5KG "kakolzari" son...

I remember when Iranian volleyball team was absolutely owning in the Asian competition with a Korean coach but when they met Korea in semis (IIRC) the team suddenly lost all its touch and played below par... the coach's hand in the loss was so obvious that the volleyball confederation had no choice but to lay off the Korean coach even though one could argue he was light years ahead of any other coach Iran had... I could never encourage this if Ghotbi pulled such a stunt against Korea...

I hope you guys get the point and can be able to draw the line when it is supposed to be drawn... Think of Guerero (sp?) the Bayern forward two season ago... when he joined Hamburg and scored on them last season he didn't celebrate and he didn't allow others to celebrate with him as well, but he still scored though and played his fullest... and we are just talking clubs here imagine how amplified this has to be in national level... when professionalism comes in through the door, dignity doesn't necessarily go out the window... I pity all those Iranian in the airport, paying respect to a man who never had any for them!!

7. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Then why did you take the time to post those pictures of his warm reception :confused:

8. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol because many ppl said he won't come to Iran... just thought posting pictures will make all that nonsense go away... well I am a Persepolis fan (die hard, I used to go to every game when I was a kid) so I still have to respect him as a coach...

9. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ghotbi is an honorable man and a professional, unlike Park Ki-Won who was a low-class piece of shit. He was even spying for Korea when Iran played them on youth level, I am happy they finally fired him. Our new head coach Milorad Kijac is one of the top five volleyball coaches in the world, we'll go far with him, Olympic qualification shouldn't be too hard.

10. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well I could.. He wasn't celebrating he was pulling out a 4th of July all by himself to the point that Iran's team supervisor had to walk up to him and ask him to calm down!! not much professionalism there!

11. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Anyways, here are some more pictures from Ghotbi in Tehran

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
    I think this may be the first time that I fully agree with valanjak on something :)

13. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco
  14. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Mayeli Kohan is a jerk and he always has a hidden agenda behind his comments (well not so hidden this time as he wanted to coach Perspolis but he got served by Ghotbi) BUT he usually makes valid points... and no matter how much of a god Ghotbi is in coaching you can't argue that taking over a team with days left to season and with players you didn't chose is going to be hard... I am as optimistic as the next guy but I have to say as PP fan I will prepare myself for shaky 3-4 weeks as it is highly probable!

15. Slick D

Slick D New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I can't believe Zandi's situation is being compared to this guy. Zandi got the reception he got because he chose Iran although he was not a full-blooded Iranian. We have full blooded Iranians who have so far rejected the idea of playing for Iran, but this guy came through for us. That's what made Zandi a hero in Iran. First ever German-Iranian to play for TM. It was exciting. Ghotbi is just like any other small-time coach in Iran. The truth is that he hasn't really done anything special in or outside of Iran. Actually that is a fact. If Arsene Wenger went back to France he wouldn't get this kind of reception...I just don't get what all the hype is for :confused:. At least wait for him to stablish something important before kissing him and carry him over your shoulder.

16. DR.Ari V

DR.Ari V New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Hoffman Estates,IL
    the hype is a cultural thing, iranis have nothing to do so when they hear things like this is about to happen they be on the streets within a second. my family friend went back to iran after 29 years and the reception was unbelievable. i mean ppl that he didnt even know showed up with GHORBOONI; they had flags and all that jazz. its actually kinda funny how theyr treating ghotbi, i just wanna see what would happen when he is leaving.

17. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    if i may add to this thread as a global citizen, instead of a korean.

I dont know how anyone could fault him for being happy to win against Iran. He lived and breathed with the korean team for 20 years. Although he is iranian, i wish the koreans treated him as one of their team and not as a foreigner.

The pupose of sports is to break down the nationalistic walls... in this case, i think korea is really backward-country. Many want their team to do well, to show the superiority of korea, and when they win, they like to put a punctuation mark that Team Korea is the victor. And I really see the same with iranians, if not worse.

THe truth is, we need to wait for the day where whether a team wins or loses, they do not look at the other team to see what nation they are from. Whether your countrymen helps defeat your national team, it really shouldnt matter in the true spirit of sports and soccer.

Also, can you not celebrate a guy unless he has done something for Iran and Iran only? If an iranian helped 1000s of poor people, do you celebtrate him for lifting the iranian name or do you celebrate him for helping 1000s of people?

I think those who say Ghotbi should not be celebrated because he has done nothing for Iran are too nationalistic in their view, and need to open up.

18. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think you understand the point though... nobody said that Ghotbi should have been sorry or sad for the win against Iran... we just say he should have shown some respect... I gave a perfect example Guerero last year scoring against Bayern Munich... he scored and nobody can argue he wasn't happy about it but out of "respect" for his old team he did not celebrate and even asked his team to keep it cool....

No matter how many years Ghotbi spends in Korea he won't be anymore Korean than he is Iranian and we just wanted him to show some of that "respect" after the win... very simple if you ask me and this is a quality which is widely available in Iranian culture so he shouldn't be unfamiliar with this... and yeah that 20 years didn't matter much and I don't think Koreans cared much about him (fans and officials not the players)...

19. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Hey, I'm a fan and I cared about him. :p But yeah, I don't know how the other fans and officials felt about him.

20. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Its human nature to celebrate when your team scores , Kami is not speaking for Iranians , he is only speaking for himself . Most Iranians don’t give 2 shits about him celebrating , he is a professional and he has always acted like one. The sad but true thing is the fact that he is the best Iranian coach ever .

21. Slick D

Slick D New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Absolutely, my point exactly dadash. Hence I mentioned the word "beekar" earlier. I get that treatment from all my family, cousins and friends when I arrive in Tehran. I get more attention and pictures taken over there than Brittney Spears does. Ghorbooni is always given. No complaints over here though :D with all that said, it's just our culture and I love it to death ;)

22. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LOL whose hijack Valanjaks account

I hope Gotbi does good for you guys

23. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I google Park Ki Won and found this

http://www.payvand.com/news/04/may/1167.html

It say Iran under Park Ki Won "crushed South Korea for the first time in its history Sunday.

Iran stunned the Koreans, winning the qualifier in three straight sets."

So I dunno where Mani gets this stuf

24. Afshin

Afshin New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    San Francisco