African Cup of Nations

Discussion in 'CAF: Tournaments' started by vancity eagle, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is crazy. Hope Ghana get it done against Tunisia. This maybe the easiest path they have had in a while.

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I would say advantage Ghana, given how poor Tunisia have been in the first round, with 3 draws.

However as we have seen already 2 3rd place teams have eliminated 2 group winners who ended the first round with 3 wins and no goals allowed. I cannot remember anything like this ever happening in an international tournament.

So all bets are off.

If I were Algeria I would be worried, that they wont follow the footsteps of Morocco and Egypt.

This tournament is anybody's to win. I'm actually scared for Nigeria to be playing South Africa, because it seems all the big teams are losing out to the smaller ones.

3. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I've been pleased by Madagascar. It's their first AFCON. It's amazing.

Chesco United and unclesox repped this.
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Feels like a changing of the guard or this edition is more about underdogs taking a chance.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #30 vancity eagle, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    No I dont see a major reshuffle in terms of the top teams, its just that on any given day anything can happen.

Certain teams have down turns and up turns from competition to competition, but I think the smaller teams are just getting much better.

Algeria seems to be turning around their poor form they've suffered from ever since their good showing in Brazil 2014.

Morocco are a team that play beautiful football, but dont have the killer instinct to finish teams off.

Egypt are overrated because of Salah

Tunisia overrated as always

Nigeria and Senegal seem to be the pick amongst the West AFrican teams, perhaps a revival of Ivory Coast ?

Ghana a decent team, but getting old and need an infusion of youth.

This is a very important tournament in terms of FIFA rankings, because this will be the major decider as to which 5 teams get seeded for WC qualifying, and that goes a long way to deciding who will qualify for Qatar 2022.

It seems like Senegal, Nigeria will definately retain their top 5 status.

Tunisia is highly ranked but 3 straight draws against much weaker opposition may push them out. Hopefully so I dont want to see Tunisia get seeded again.

Morocco may have done enough to retain their top 5 with 3 straight wins in the First Round (you dont get punished for knockout round losses)

Algeria, Egypt, and Ghana possibly making a push.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Surprised to see so few comments in this thread and none since the knock out rounds got underway. Anyway, Algeria just defeated Nigeria to make the final, where they will meet Senegal who beat Tunisia earlier,

vancity eagle@ may get to see his team, Nigeria, against what appears to be his least favorite CAF side, namely Tunisia. That is unless CAF is also following the trend of getting rid of the 3rd place consolation match,

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    3rd place match is on Wednesday.

Algeria seems to have been the best team at this tournament, although they are nowhere near as sexy as they were back in 2014 when they took Germany to extra time at the World cup.

A lot of teams haven't really played that well tbh. Dissapointed with Nigeria's play even though we made it far. Senegal also has been largely unconvincing, as has Tunisia. Egypt crashing out was a shock, Morocco looked great in the first round but seem to have a problem finishing after all the great build up. Ivory Coast did well considering almost their entire backline was out injured, they still took Algeria to PK's in what was their best match of the tournament.

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    AFCON Final just an half hour away.

I predict Algeria to win this in regular time. They just play better as a unit. Senegal disposes a lot of talent in their ranks but especially their play from midfield to attack is rather disappointing. They struggle to create chances from what I saw. They lack creativity but they are excellent defensively. At least when Kalidou Koulibaly is playing. Unfortunately he misses the Final because of an yellow card- suspension.
    In the World Cup 2002 I remember how Ballack missed the Final against Brazil for the same reason. Thank god in the meantime FIFA changed the system so this can't happen again. Other confederations should follow this. In an Final we want to see the best players for each teams eligable to play on the pitch.

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Algeria is the AFCON winner for the first time since 29 years when they hosted it. Senegal showed a decent showing and was unlucky to lose this. They dominated in posession, shots and corners but couldn't make count of their superiority.
    Also got a bit unlucky with the VAR decision. The referee inutially awarded them a penalty but it was very harsh in my opinion. It was the right decision to take it back. All in all it was a great tournament and Algeria is deserving winners looking at their whole campaign. Congrats Algeria!

vancity eagle repped this.
  10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

Algeria were definately the best team of the tournament, even if they employed very cheap tactics in the final, with their consistent fouling. Same thing they did the first time the beat Senegal.

Senegal however were dissapointing in the final third of the pitch. They were not dynamic enough in their attack and were too one dimensional. Algeria just defended them with ease.

Algeria beat Senegal twice in 90 minutes

beat Nigeria in 90 minutes, and beat Ivory Coast on penalties.

They allowed one goal against in open play the entire tournament, and the only other goal conceded was a PK awarded by VAR where a shot that was going well wide of goal hit an Algerian player in the arm. (I really think FIFA needs to change hand ball rules)

So easily they were the best team and deserved winners.

Once again the AFCON is not won by the "favourites" and is won by a "forgotten big gun"

Algeria were on nobody's radar after failing to qualify for the last WC and even comming last in their WCQ group. Their qualification for this tournament, while efficient was also nothing to write home about.

Everybody was looking at

Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, probably in that order.

Ironically I believe the Algeria team of 2014/15 was much better than this current team. Perhaps not defensively but certainly in attack.

11. mahmoudmaher

mahmoudmaher New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 12, 2020
    Libya lost dramatically against Equatorial Guinea

12. bergamo

bergamo New Member

Roma
    Italy
    Nov 16, 2020
    Sierra Leone – Nigeria coming up tomorrow. New preview of the match here.

13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #38 dinamo_zagreb, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    African Championship of Nations, originally scheduled for April 2020, is being played in Cameroon. This is the first football national team competition in the COVID-19 era. 25% capacity is used at the stadiums in Cameroon, that hosts the tournament instead of Ethiopia (who gave up on their hosting rights way before pandemic).

If somebody does not know, this is the continental championship for teams with players playing exclusively in domestic leagues - meaning Cameroon team play with players playing in Cameroon league only.

First matchday in three groups has been played, with awful goalscoring record - only four goals were scored. 4 x 1-0 and 2 x 0-0. First matchday will be concluded today with group D matches.

14. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Final 8 is now set.

Quarterfinal
    Mali - Congo
    Guinea - Rwanda

Morocco - Zambia
    DR Congo - Cameroon

15. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Let's go for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

[​IMG]

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    A lot newcomers to the party. Sunday, Comoros, Malawi and Eq. Guinea qualifying for a CoN they aren't hosting.