NSR: Africa should get less World Cup berths in next World Cup.

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by supman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. supman

supman New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In World Cup 2010, European nations and African nations were really disappointing.

Less than 40% of European teams advanced to the next round and one out of 6 African teams advanced to the next round.

In this case, 4 berths should be given to African nations than 6.
    And 3 berths should be taken away from UEFA and should be given one to OFC and one to AFC and one to CONCACAF.

2. supman

supman New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    To sum it,

2 berths should be taken away from Africa and should be given to South America.

3 berths should be taken away from Europe and should be given one to Asia, one to North America and one to Oceania.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont like taking away spots just because of a bad World Cup. Sorry. You cant give more than 5 spots S. America when they only have 10 teams. Thats ridiculous. If you wanna give them 5 full instead of 4.5 then alright. I think Concacaf should lose half a spot and go down to 3 full. Africa is so large that I dont like giving them only 4 spots based on poor performance. Its a very competitive confed with many balanced teams. I like their 5 spots. Asia is weak, I wouldnt give them more spots. Its not as competitive as Africa is. Im going by qualifying not WC performance.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What have Asia and CONCACAF's worst teams done to merit extra spots?

5. Seymour_Gunner

Nov 23, 2007
    Seymour CT USA
    You can't change world cup allocation every other tournament. I think
    current number of berth for each confederation are just fine.

You have to look at the performance of the weaker teams not just number of teams making it to next round.

Two confederations that are having a "bad" world cup are Africa and Europe. But two African teams (Ivory Coast and South Africa) that did not qualify had as many points as some teams that did make it knock out stages. The other 3 competed and well and were somewhat unlucky. Same thing is true of the European teams that did not qualify. Only teams that were out of their depth were from Concacaf (Handorus) and Asia (North Korea).

6. Potash

Potash Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Good post.
    Apart from Japan, S.Korean and Australia?, what other country is good in Asia
    In Africa, the likes of Nigeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory-Coast, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria and perhaps, Senegal have good teams.

7. supman

supman New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma

What have European teams done lately?
    6 out of 13 European teams qualified for Round 16. The rest of European teams have went home!

S. Korea has sent Greece home by smashing 2-0.
    Japan has sent Denmark home by smashing 3-1.

These two Asian teams have sent those two Europeans home.

USA and Mexico did well in this World Cup. They have all advaced to the next round.

Mexico has sent France home by smashing 2-0.
    USA advanced to the next round instead of Slovenia.

Asia and North America definitely deserve more berths while Europe and Africa should get their berths decreased.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And in 2006 there was a Euro only semifinal.

You can't judge because of a single WC performance

9. fdkq redded

fdkq redded Red Card

Jun 30, 2010

UEFA and CAF have got too much berths at the first place.
    I believe this time would be the best opportunity to discuss equal berths allocation throughout all continents.
    I agree that UEFA and CAF should get less berths than they have now.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    first of all, do any of you even know how the berths are distributed? you talk like you think blatter just gives them out personally to the countries he likes best, or that they're decided by ouija board.

they're distributed based on performance. europe's share has been declining ever since 1998, though perhaps not at the kneejerk pace some experts here would have.

capital idea!, capital. let's see, 32 berths make...

europe - 4
    africa- 4
    s. america - 4
    n. america - 4
    asia - 4
    oceania - 4
    antarctica - 4

is 28...

aha! the lost continent of atlantis! - 4

now we're being reasonable!

11. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    All I know is CONCACAF should have 4.

12. iranitiger-redded

Jun 30, 2010
    lol. Are you serious?
    The 3rd/4th team of CONCACAF is a joke.
    They (Costa Rica, T&T and Honduras) played 9 games in 2006 and 2010 and got only 2 points!

13. kingallan2k7

kingallan2k7 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    thing is irani you dont really know the talent some of these teams have
    honduras went crippled into the world cup without 2 of its star players, and our youth teams are good and all qualified for their respective youth world cups
    costa rica has a fantastic youth system, AND BTW they almost pulled a win over uruguay in the playoff between them
    idk enough about t&t to talk all i know is, kenwyne jones

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jepp, that's the right thing, obviously. But first things first.
    First we need to add 3 berths to UEFA, because of their outstanding 2006 campaign. I think we take 3 away from OFC, AFC and CONCACAF.
    Then we can do as you describe. :)

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've posted elsewhere how bad honduras was and i'm not talking about points... unprofessional unforced errors, athletic inferiority... they would have been eaten up in any second tier european league. but apparently they were missing not one or two but several of their best players.

trinidad and tobago? surely you jest. there are sunday league teams of that caliber.

CONCACAF has their 3 spots fair and square based on performance. the problem is that performance comes from 2 nations only, who are head, shoulders, knees and toes above the others. that cuts both ways: any 3rd berth goes to someone very weak, but if there are only 2, the confed ceases to exist beyond being practice cones for USA and mexico.

let's not forget that the world cup is much more than a showdown between the half a dozen sides that have a chance of winning. it's jubilee for the sole thing right-thinking people in the world all have in common* and without the trinidads and tobagos and north koreas it would be a poor feast indeed.

*As Nietzsche said: ohne Fußball wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.

16. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they should do is measure that continents World Cup results per team. Something similar to UEFA Coeficients. Measure the confederations' results in World Cup and a little bit in the Confed cup and basically set a min and a max berths for each confederation.

17. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    ^This.

+1

18. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    If Africa should decrease then it should only be by 1 and bring the confederation back to their pre-2010 number of 5

Asia and Concacaf haven't done anything to warrant more world cup spots. It's the same teams from the continent that consistently perform well... South Korea & Japan for AFC and Mexico and United States for Concacaf...nobody else is doing that great. There's more quality and decent teams in UEFA and CAF and that is why they have more spots.

also:

which teams lost 7-0, 4-0, and 4-1?

ANSWER: North Korea, Australia, and South Korea

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That makes no sense. It's really all about the standard of the worst teams. A strong top to a confederation says nothing about the strength of the lower qualifiers. It's not like a league, where teams will generally get stronger or weaker together, as the fortunes of the league rises or falls.

20. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    With what Ghana show it certain that Africa deserve what they have. Ghana in 2014 will be World Champion competition.

21. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Thanks for failing horribly, now go back to your cave, troll.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've got a great idea!

FIFA should work out a formula and regularly recalculate the berths alloted to each confed based on the actual performance of the teams of each continent. that way there would never again be a need for threads like this.

23. prof.tim

prof.tim Red Card

Jul 6, 2010
    agree with that

24. MartinUruguay

MartinUruguay New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    I think Africa should lose 1 spot, Concacaf lose 1 spot, asia lose 2 spots. Put one more in South America and 3 more from Europe.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Four carded socks in three pages? Someone's got a message they really want to get out, or there are a whole lot of socks interested in this topic...