AFL, Round 7 {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, May 6, 2004.

1. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Being a proud Geelong member and supporter, I hope you're right about us making the Finals this year!

We have one of the most talented young lists in the competition, and playing in Finals would be an invaluable experience for the team this year. I think we're more then capable of making the eight this year, but we don't want to get too much ahead of ourselves at this stage. To use a very famous footballing cliche, we're taking it one week at a time. :D

2. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    From the Herald-Sun's website....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collingwood's lack of depth is certainly being exposed right now, certainly-- but that's come as the consequence of a poor recruiting period in the offseason, as well as having injuries to so many key players all at once.

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Sorry to dredge this up in the midst of round 8, but I just saw the round 7 clash between St. Kilda and Fremantle...and you can now mark me down as a St. Kilda believer. They've had 2 "coming of age" wins on the trot in standing up to the reigning premiers then travelling cross-country and holding off a game Freo side in the second half at Subiaco (Dockers weren't exactly game in the first half now, were they?).

I know the premiership isn't won in the first 8 weeks (just ask Port Adelaide), but if the Saints can survive this gauntlet they can accomplish just about anything.

Now watch them crash and burn in round 8.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing the Saints have going for themselves-- and this is a big factor here-- is a state of mind about a belief and confidence in themselves. Including their Wizard Cup run, they have yet to lose a game so far during the whole of 2004, and that speaks volumes towards their spirit as a club.

Not so fast, they're playing a beaten-up Collingwood side tonight.

I tipped against the Saints in the trip to Fortress Subi, but I'm not likely to tip against them at any other time for the rest of the season.

They are certainly having that "team of destiny" look about them. And much of that can be credited to Grant Thomas' coaching-- which is a funny thing because as recently as 12 months ago, St. Kilda's own fans were willing to write his one-way ticket out of town and even opposition supporters were referring to "Cornflakes" Thomas as being an ineffectual leader.

Yet things are coming together quite nicely, with a bit of faith in the leaders and the core of players as a whole.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Thank you, Lee Corso...I hadn't looked ahead (still awaiting the highlights of Round 7 tonight). OK...so that's the potential for 8 on the trot...but then again, like the old saying...when you least expect it, expect it.

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    And now that I've seen the video...those still shots of Sampi's mark don't come close to doing it justice. That could be one of the "all-timers"...perhaps not the same magnitude as Jezza's, but near the same amplitude...

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a way to see this online somewhere? Due to some emergency that came up last week, I couldn't watch or tape the Thursday or Friday highlight shows. I went to the afl.com.au site. In their multimedia section, they have videos of "Round rewound", "Best 10 goals of the round" and "Best 10 marks of the round".

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurevideo

However these are all with paid subscriptions. I can't believe AFL would be so greedy to even put the highlights on paid subscription. I remember for the first few weeks these were free. I can understand if the entire match videos are on pay subscription. But it is extremely greedy and short-sighted of AFL to put even the highlights on pay subscription. How else do they expect to sell their game to an international audience by doing such things? I mean, I'm not going to shell out Australian $60 just to see one mark.

Sorry for the ranting. If anyone has an online video (or a US format tape) of this mark, I would be very much interested in hearing about it.

Thanks.

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Your rant is my rant...I was so upset when the on-line features became subscription features...when it was free the service actually helped save my vacation back in 2001 when Ansett collapsed (long story).

But I think I still have the round highlights on a US format tape...I'll try to keep it and have it copied for you. I'll send you a PM when that's done so we can arrange to get it to you.

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Spartacus, that's great to hear. Thanks much! And I suppose it also helps I'm "somewhat" local to your area (San Francisco bay area). I'll wait for your PM and hopefully pick up the tape before one of the Earthquakes match. :)

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to dig this up from the dead. But I finally got to see the much talked about Sampi's mark on Saturday night (Thanks Spartacus!!!). And man, I'm stunned! This is like one of the all-time greats I've ever seen.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    It was certainly better than anything we saw live on Saturday night, eh?

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said it. :D Seeing this mark made up for the disappointment of multiple fiascos on Saturday (the one you're referring to, as well as the Chicago - DC United live match fiasco on the tube).