AFL - Round 22 {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by ScouseCat, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    This weekend is the final round in the home and away season, and for the bottom 8 teams on the ladder, the season ends this weekend. Here are the matches and match times for Round 22...

FRIDAY AUGUST 27 AEST
    Collingwood vs Carlton
    MCG 7:40 PM AEST

SATURDAY AUGUST 28 AEST
    Richmond vs Sydney Swans
    MCG 2:10 PM AEST

West Coast Eagles vs Melbourne
    Subiaco Oval 2:10 PM AWST

Brisbane Lions vs Kangaroos
    Gabba 7:10 PM AEST

St Kilda vs Fremantle
    Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

SUNDAY AUGUST 29 ACST
    Adelaide vs Port Adelaide
    AAMI Stadium 12:40 PM ACST

Essendon vs Western Bulldogs
    Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

Geelong vs Hawthorn
    Skilled Stadium 2:10 PM AEST

--------------------

Ladder, news and discussion to follow.

2. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
  3. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ladder - after Round 21:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=ladder

Code:
    Position Team P W D L F A % Total  

1 Port Adelaide 21 16 0 5 2328 1763 132.05 64  
    2 Brisbane Lions 21 15 0 6 2277 1726 131.92 60  
    3 St Kilda 21 15 0 6 2331 1826 127.66 60  
    4 Geelong 21 14 0 7 1965 1683 116.76 56  
    5 Melbourne 21 14 0 7 2060 1793 114.89 56  
    6 Sydney 21 12 0 9 1830 1760 103.98 48  
    7 West Coast 21 12 0 9 1935 1901 101.79 48  
    8 Fremantle 21 11 0 10 1799 1758 102.33 44  
    ------------------------------------------------------ 
    9 Essendon 21 11 0 10 2169 2132 101.74 44  
    10 Kangaroos 21 10 0 11 2085 1965 106.11 40  
    11 Carlton 21 9 0 12 1717 2128 80.69 36  
    12 Adelaide 21 8 0 13 1890 1954 96.72 32  
    13 Collingwood 21 8 0 13 1792 1974 90.78 32  
    14 Western Bulldogs 21 5 0 16 1861 2346 79.33 20  
    15 Hawthorn 21 4 0 17 1610 2252 71.49 16  
    16 Richmond 21 4 0 17 1649 2337 70.56 16 

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tuesday's News

Telstra Stadium on standby for opening final

The prospect of three finals being played outside Melbourne in week one of September is increasing with the AFL confirming on Tuesday that Telstra Stadium in Sydney is available to host a first week final.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=167633

Wakelin, Cloke fined for umpire contact

Port Adelaide's Darryl Wakelin and Collingwood's Jason Cloke were each fined $3500 by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday for making contact with an umpire.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=167631

Tribunal ends Zantuck's year

Richmond's Ty Zantuck has received a two-match suspension after being found guilty of rough play by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=167627

Tribunal ends season for Harris

Western Bulldogs defender Brian Harris will miss the club's final match of the season after receiving a one-match suspension at the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=167628

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are my tips for the final home-and-away round...

Collingwood vs Carlton
    Richmond vs Sydney
    West Coast vs Melbourne
    Brisbane vs North Melbourne
    St Kilda vs Fremantle
    Adelaide vs Port Adelaide
    Essendon vs Western Bulldogs
    Geelong vs Hawthorn

Trying to add something to my current score of 110.

Also, Richmond will avoid the wooden spoon... aided and abetted by Geelong thrashing Hawthorn by a wide margin on Sunday (wouldn't surprise me if it was upwards of 100 points or more). :)

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some news links of note from today's editions of The Age:

Roos veteran quietly pulls the pin North Melbourne captain Anthony Stevens to retire after Saturday's match against Sydney

Nameless rebels frustrate Dunstall As Hawthorn's frantic search to succeed Peter Schwab continues

Misiti set to call it quits

Road form worries Cats Not so much related to this weekend's match against the Hawks in Geelong, but rather having to do with a potential meeting with Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium in the first week of the finals

Bombers rely on youth for finals charge

Thomas looks for more from Milne St. Kilda's coach looking for more players to lead as the finals approach

And from the Geelong Advertiser, ahead of Sunday's Geelong v Hawthorn clash:

King relishing Spida challenge

That's one individual matchup I'm looking forward to seeing-- Geelong skipper Steven King has been excellent in the ruck this season after missing the first several games with an injury, while Peter "Spider" Everitt has been an excellent player on a bad team this year.

7. Sports Capital

Sports Capital New Member

Aug 25, 2004
    For the wooden spoon, its a matter of who loses by more. If Hawthorn get thrashed and Richmond only lose by about 5 goals, then the Dawks will get the Spoon.

My Tips:

Collingwood vs. Carlton
    Sydney vs. Richmond
    West Coast vs. Melbourne
    Brisbane vs. Kangaroos
    St. Kilda vs. Fremantle
    Adelaide vs. Port
    Essendon vs. W.B
    Geelong vs. Hawthorn

Carlton: They are the far better side at the moment. Collingwood have no one to put on Fevola with Luke Livingstone or Brent Thornton to pick up Chris Tarrant. Collingwood could win it if they get on top in the midfield, but with a struggling defence, I can't see them winning.

Sydney: Richmond have a slight chance here, with it being Danny Frawleys last game as coach. But if they are to win they'll need Richo to kick a bag. Sydneys short kicking game does come unstuck at the MCG, however I can't see Sydney dropping this one. Barry Hall should have a ball out there, with his likely opponent, Darren Gaspar, so out of form he wouldn't get a game for the Hurstbridge U/12's.

West Coast: With Melbourne so out of touch at the moment, and the Eagles playing so well, the Weagles should win this fairly easily. With the game at Subiaco it makes it almost impossible to tip against West Coast. Chris Judd, possibly the most exciting youngster ever, is in awesome form and should slice the Melbourne midfield to bits. The Weagles main problem is no tall foward, however the rest of their team is starting to look very very good.

Brisbane: They are starting to look untouchable again. They've come back into form at just the right time. Kangaroos don't look any good at the moment, and the fact its at the Gabba makes it a very easy tip.

St.Kilda: The Saints return to their comfort zone of Telstra Dome against a very average looking Fremantle. Although Freo have improved on the road, they won't be able to beat the Saints at the Dome, where they are unbeaten so far this year. Gehrig and Reidwolt should have a field day against the Dockers, who have no real tall defenders. Pavlich and Reidwolt could play on each other at some point, which would be very worth watching.

Port: The Power could secure their third straight minor premiership with a win this weekend, something they should achive. The Crows will put up a gallant fight in Showdown XVI but Port should win with ease. Warren Tredrea will be the key for Port at CHF, with Scott Welsh the key foward target for the Crows.

Essendon: No matter where they are on the ladder, the Dogs always seem to trouble the Bombers. However the Dons should win this game to get them into the finals for the 7th straight year. Brian Harris has been suspended for this game, which leaves very little options for who will play on Matthew Lloyd. James Hird is due for a big game, which could carry Essendon into the finals.

Geelong: Geelong should end the Hawks season with a fairly big loss. With the game at the Cattery, its a very easy game to tip.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here are my tips for the final home-and-away round...

Collingwood
    Sydney
    West Coast
    Brisbane
    St Kilda
    Port Adelaide
    Essendon
    Geelong

Looking for a good finish to a very disappointing tipping season, currently on 104.

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Fresh from 5/8 in Round 21 and 60/88 since joining the comp in Round 11 (which you must admit is pretty fair for a late-coming Yank), I respectfully submit as follows:

FRIDAY AUGUST 27
    Collingwood vs Carlton Blues need this game more than Pies

SATURDAY AUGUST 28
    Richmond vs Sydney Swans The spoon for the Tigers

West Coast Eagles vs Melbourne Tailspin, no Neitz, at Subi? Too much for Dees

Brisbane Lions vs Kangaroos Lions lifted in Round 21, they sense September

St Kilda vs Fremantle Despite last round's clanger, Saints still too strong for Dockers

SUNDAY AUGUST 29
    Adelaide vs Port Adelaide Too much Power

Essendon vs Western Bulldogs Since no one's retiring for the Doggies this week, there's no lift

Geelong vs Hawthorn Cats clinch the double-chance, but the Hawks have shown plenty of class the last few rounds...no 100 point thrashing here

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's quite an excellent score, in fact, for just half a season.

So whaddyasay, how about a formal BigSoccer AFL tipping comp for next season? :)

We'll see about that... Geelong have to be fine-tuned for the first week of finals. :D

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'd be all for it...I've had an absolute blast going head up with you all down under (of course, your research materials have helped).

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I think the Cats may get an unexpected finals tune up from the Hawks...thin as they are it appears that Everitt and Bateman have a good run of form going...if they get any more support they'll give the Cats a game...but the Cats still have too much class in the end -- and my hasn't young Mr. Ablett Jnr been (excuse the expression) "magic" lately?

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's certainly been the real deal-- and more than just a "prodigal son", he's a star in his own right. He may even win a Brownlow some day, something his old man never did.

Not sure if there might be much support for the Hawks alongside Spider and Bateman, and the Cats' midfield alone might have too much run and too much class to make this match anything less than a rout.

If the likes of Kingsley and Graham can kick straight in front of the big sticks, then so much the better, IMHO.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to be of service (although I have to admit that I haven't had as much time for posting the news updates lately, with my new job as a bartender over here and all).

But I hope to have all the finals info rolling on along, starting next week.

16. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Friday nights game done, wow, wish i could have watched it
    Magpie Blues Result

[result]
    Collingwood 107
    Carlton 108
    [/result]

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday's results...

Richmond v Sydney, at the MCG:
    [result]Richmond 6.8 (44)
    Sydney 16.12 (108)[/result]

West Coast v Melbourne, at Subiaco Oval:
    [result]West Coast 15.17 (107)
    Melbourne 10.7 (67)[/result]

Brisbane v North Melbourne, at The Gabba:
    [result]Brisbane 26.14 (170)
    North Melbourne 9.3 (57)[/result]

However, some bad news for the three-time defending premiers Brisbane...

Lynch hamstring injury rocks Lions -- afl.com.au, via Sportal

And St. Kilda v Fremantle, at Telstra Dome:
    [result]St. Kilda 17.10 (112)
    Fremantle 12.11 (83)[/result]

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday's results-- and thus ending the home-and-away season for 2004...

The South Australian "Showdown", Adelaide v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium:
    [result]Adelaide 9.6 (60)
    Port Adelaide 12.13 (85)[/result]

Essendon v Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome:
    [result]Essendon 17.11 (113)
    Western Bulldogs 14.12 (96)[/result]

And at Kardinia Park in Geelong, Geelong v Hawthorn:
    [result]Geelong 17.21 (123)
    Hawthorn 9.4 (58)[/result]

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wrap on my tipping for the season:

I got 6/8 this week, with Collingwood and Adelaide letting me down. THat puts my season total at 116/176... not a bad season at all. :)

21. Los Libero

Los Libero New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Earth
    I got 8/8 in the tipping comp. I'm in. Second time this season too :)

22. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    Second chance for the Cats! :D

23. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Geelong have done a fantastic job this season to finish in the top four, especially after losing our first three games. I am really looking forward to the Finals this year and seeing how the mighty Cats approach their games. :)

And as for my tipping, I tipped 7/8 to finish with a score of 111 for the season. Carlton was the only one I got wrong for the final round of the season.

24. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Well the AFL as predicted have set the Sydney -West Coast Game at Stadium Australia in Sydney.

There is a good thread/banter running on this game on Bigfooty.com at the AFL section. It covers the lot -team placings and match ups- ground size- Sydneys style of play-etc. Anybody new to our game should find it educational.
    Stadium Australia is a bigger ground than the SCG which will suit our fast running style of play.

IF we can get over Sydney, which is going to be very tough, we may get a home game against either Brisbane or St Kilda- depends who loses. At home we can beat anybody - Not sure what happens after that if we win that as well.
    Lots of ifs but thats part of the fun.
    Go Eagles

25. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    West Coast wont get a home final in the second week... the loser of the Brisbane vs St Kilda match will get the home ground advantage as they finished higher on the ladder. It's likely to be St Kilda vs Sydney/West Coast with the winner to play the winner of the Port vs Geelong match in the Preliminary Final.