AFL, Round 1 {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Mar 23, 2004.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so it begins, in earnest. :)

Fixtures for the opening round...

Friday, 26 March
    Richmond v Collingwood, at the MCG (7:45 p.m. Melbourne time)

Saturday, 27 March
    Hawthorn v Melbourne, at the MCG (2:15 p.m. Melbourne time)
    Fremantle v Carlton, at Subiaco Oval (1:15 p.m. Perth time)
    St. Kilda v Geelong, at Telstra Dome (7:15 p.m. Melbourne time)
    Brisbane v Sydney, at The Gabba (7:15 p.m. Brisbane time)

Sunday, 28 March
    Port Adelaide v Essendon, at AAMI Stadium (12:45 p.m. Adelaide time)
    Kangaroos v Adelaide, at the MCG (2:15 p.m. Melbourne time)
    Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles, at Telstra Dome (2:15 p.m. Melbourne time)

Discuss...

Also, I listed the live centre bounce times, given that all audio webcasts on the AFL's website are now free to the public, and no longer on a pay subscription. So adjust your mental clocks accordingly...

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    What!?!?! When did this happen?!?!?! That's so brilliant!

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but there will be pretty much no TV coverage in the US. :( Check some of the other threads around here or in "Business and Media --> FoxSportsWorld".

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's merely my understanding, according to what was reported on the AFL's website, towards the end of the Wizard Cup.

If it is indeed true, then yes, it is an absolute godsend.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some articles from the Wednesday papers here, from the Geelong perspective (of course)... :D

And from the Saints camp...

And a couple of other AAP wire-copy articles of note, as picked up by the Ballarat Courier:

Carlton @ Fremantle
    Pagan's new ritual: Blues to blood up to 11 new debutants

Brisbane v Sydney
    Voss fit to play Swans -- but no sure thing thereafter

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I saw this thread and was thoroughly confused.

So I'm not playing anyone, right?

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What???

BTW, Oliver Tse of SoccerTV.com fame is spreading a rumor in the "Business and Media -> FoxSportsWorld" forum that the US TV coverage will be back, thanks to Lachlan Murdoch. Yes!!!!!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amerifolklegend goes by the informal abbreviated moniker of "AFL" on these boards.

And no, AFL, not unless you want to suit up for Carlton. I hear they need players very badly. :p

That is fantastic news for the Aussie Rules-loving bretheren back home. FSW always seems to join the party late on, but just in time, in this case.

10. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
  11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Geelong will get said revenge, too. :D

My wife and I are going to the match at Telstra Dome tomorrow night-- in fact, we're spending the whole day in Melbourne, taking the train up from Bacchus Marsh to do so.

We'll be picking up our 2004 Geelong FC memberships once we get there, as well as our choice seats for the match, and then I thought I'd spoil her silly with a nice cruise up and down the Yarra River and into Victoria Harbour. And then we'll be at the game, at Docklands.

And she knows all about the "spoil her silly" part, anyway (she does happen to post here). :)

I'll post my tips, the teams, and the news that matters, all momentarily.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the only news from Friday that really matters...

Round One Teams -- afl.com.au

And for St. Kilda and Geelong...

ST KILDA
    B:
    Baker, Penny, Voss
    HB: Blake, Maguire, Jones
    C: Black, Hayes, Goddard
    HF: Riewoldt, Hamill, Harvey
    F: Milne, Gehrig, Koschitzke
    Foll: Knobel, Ball, Powell
    Inter: Peckett, Thompson, Dal Santo, X.Clarke
    Emerg: Schwarze, Montagna, Murray
    New: ---

GEELONG
    B:
    Harley, Scarlett, Sanderson
    HB: Rahilly, Mooney, Milburn
    C: Riccardi, Enright, Kelly
    HF: Kingsley, Graham, Haynes
    F: Ablett, McCarthy, Bartel
    Foll: Chambers, Corey, Ling
    Inter: Spriggs, Chapman, Hunt, Rooke
    Emerg: Playfair, Moloney, Gardiner
    New: ---

Interesting matchups for Geelong. Looks like Mark Thompson is trying to do what he couldn't take advantage of a fortnight ago, and that's the Cats' height advantage-- as per his forwards' reach over the Saints' defenders. Graham and McCarthy down the middle should be able to do something, as well as Haynes and Kingsley on the flanks and Ablett Jr. in one pocket.

The key to the match, IMO: If Cameron Ling (a pre-season smokey for the Brownlow Medal, so far) can keep Robert Harvey to 20 possessions or fewer, Geelong will win.

But the evergreen Harvey will still need help getting the ball into the Cats' defensive 50 to the likes of Frasier Gehrig and Aaron Hamill, St. Kilda will still have it tough against Geelong's solid back six.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The free live audio appears to be working well (although most of the time I'm listening to Triple M on a radio here).

Got the Richmond v Collingwood game on right now, and the likes of Brian Taylor and Sam Newman-- among a Friday Night Footy radio commentary team of them and James Brayshaw and Jason Dunstall-- are in wonderful voice at the moment.

As for the match itself, Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley kicked a goal from 55 metres within 30 seconds of the opening centre bounce of the season-- but Richmond lead at quarter time, 2.5 (17) to 1.2 (8).

Good thing, too, with all the trouble Tigers coach Danny Frawley has had to encounter during the offseason, and this week at Punt Road in particular.

Favouritism has Spud fuming -- The Herald Sun

And if you think that was funny (with apologies to Richmond supporters, of course), check out Mike Sheahan's column in Friday morning's Herald Sun.

At this rate, Frawley might as well pack his bags and come back to North Ballarat, where he was a Premiership-winning coach in the VFL and the Ballarat Football League in the early-to-mid-90's before getting hired by Richmond. :eek:

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three-quarter time...

Code:
    Richmond    11.9 (75)
    Collingwood    5.6 (36)
    Five goals for the Tigers' Matthew Richardson and two more to new teammate Nathan Brown. And Andrew Krakouer is playing quite well, too. Improved play from the Tigers' forwards, that's the reason behind a 39-point lead at three-quarter time.

That, and the lack of targets for Collingwood to kick to inside 50, with Anthony Rocca still suspended and Tarkyn Lockyear still recovering from a knee reconstruction from last season.

Their goalkickers at this point are Buckley, Shane Woewodin (twice), Ben Johnson and Alan Didak-- not a forward among them! They have to do something inside 50, and fast, to have a prayer of pulling this one out.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collingwood started strongly at the beginning of the final term, but could not sustain it.

Full time:

Code:
    Richmond      14.13 (97)
    Collingwood 8.9 (57)
    Goal-kickers:

Richmond -- Matthew Richardson 5, Nathan Brown 2, Ty Zantuck, Mark Coughlan, David Rodan, Andrew Kellaway, Ray Hall, Greg Tivendale, Andrew Krakouer 1 each.

Collingwood -- Alan Didak 2, Shane Woewodin 2, Leon Davis, Ben Johnson, Nathan Buckley, Chris Tarrant 1 each.

16. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    so i thought the magpies miserable preason was just fluke?

17. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    so i thought the magpies miserable preason was a fluke?

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I still think this is the case.

Buckley had 31 possessions and Paul Licuria added 27 possies, but Collingwood did a terrible job of maintaining possession effectively, and an even worse job of delivering the ball inside the Tigers' 50.

Not their best display by a longshot, but getting Rocca back next week against the Western Bulldogs will give them a bonafide target in the forward line. Alan Didak did OK in a makeshift role for them last night, but he's really a converted backline player, in truth.

But full credit to Danny Frawley-- in a tumultuous week at Richmond, he had a gameplan which started with keeping his players focused on the matter at hand and not on the boardroom flux, and his players produced on the field, especially when it came to the performances of Richardson and Nathan Brown.

19. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Lions Survive Swans Ambush
    Brisbane 11.14 (80) Sydney 11.12 (78)
    IT had all the drama of a grand final and after an almighty fright, the Brisbane Lions opened their premiership campaign with a two-point win over the Sydney Swans at the Gabba last night.

In front of 34,028 fans, the Lions clawed their way back into the game after a first-half scare served up on the boot of Sydney forward Nick Davis.

sorry babytiger...

Saints Sizzle vs Cats

current table HERE

well i am definitely looking fwd to watching the highlights this coming week

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were there last night-- and that was a very disgusting performance by Geelong. I'll formulate my complete thoughts on it later, suffice it to say that I'm still hung over and I have a very sore throat from all that yelling and barracking last night.

One thought, though-- Mark Thompson, the Geelong coach, should be held accountable for what happened. More than that, he should be sacked.

21. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    so, how was the trip and whole experience? you are from USA originally right? how are the aussie fans towards an american, especially you since you seem to know a good deal on the sport?

22. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Great effort by the mighty Tigers. Really killed them around the ruck - Fraser looked pretty soft.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trip itself was fantastic. Great way to relieve the stress of the week (with the exception of the way the game turned out, of course). The highlight of the day was the chartered cruise boat trip down the Yarra River and into Victoria Harbour. For those ever to visit Melbourne, this comes highly recommended. In fact, to put a footy spin on it, there are even "water taxis" that go up and down the Yarra, and they can drop you off within walking or other commuting distance from either the MCG or Telstra Dome.

Indeed, I'm an ex-pat Yank, and I am very familiar with the sport dating back to when ESPN was first starting out and was airing the old VFL when they needed anything for programming time. I'd say that was the late 1970s, and I've broadened my knowledge of Aussie Rules and still thirsting for knowledge of the sport since then.

I've done enough in that regard to be able to write freelance features for publications and websites, just like I've done with my background and upbringing as a soccer journo, and cover a local country footy league here for the Ballarat Courier newspaper.

I would say that a vast majority of the Aussies here are very complentary towards a Yank, or anyone else that gets involved in barracking and supporting their teams.

My wife and I, incidentally, had our wedding reception at the Geelong Football Club's social rooms a little more than two years ago, and since then, we've been on a friendly basis with many of the staff members of the GFC-- including the woman who coordinated the reception for us, we seem to get a call from her, socially-related, at least a couple of times a season.

So all in all, the game has given me a lot of pleasure and a lot of rewards, even though it's far from a native game from where I was born.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here are all the results from Round 1...

Out of respect for those who want to wait until the AFL match of the round and a highlights package is aired on Fox Sports World back home, I will conceal the results. Highlight them if you want to know what they are.

[result]FINAL SCORES
    Richmond 14. 13. (97) def. Collingwood 8. 9. (57)
    Hawthorn 17. 17. (119) def. Melbourne 10. 10. (70)
    Fremantle 15. 17. (107) def. Carlton 8. 12. (60)
    St Kilda 19. 8. (122) def. Geelong 9. 7. (61)
    Brisbane Lions 11. 14. (80) def. Sydney Swans 11. 12. (78)
    Port Adelaide 23. 20. (158) def. Essendon 8. 14. (62)
    Kangaroos 23. 11. (149) def. Adelaide 10. 14. (74)
    Western Bulldogs 20. 17. (137) def. by West Coast Eagles 22. 12. (144) [/result]

I went 4-4 on my tipping, a very disappointing week for me. And since my wife picked exactly the same teams I did, she shares in my dismay. Misery loves company, I guess...

25. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever decide to move back home, organizations like below would love to hear from you. Not sure if you've ever participated in this sport. But regardless, your level of expertise would be valuable to them in any way.

http://www.usfooty.com
    http://www.afana.com