AFL, 2007 Finals {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Heathmyhero

Heathmyhero New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Collingwood 7 medhurst and rusling with 3 each.... rocca with 2 same as davis and obree!!!
    Hawthorn 22 buddy with 4

2. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I caught 2 of those games over the weekend: 1 a huge blowout (156-50) and the other one a real nailbiter (105-102). I gotta say I love what I saw. Why do the referees keep whistling after pretty much every play, even when the play is still going on?

3. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Extra time was introduced back in 1994, and in that 1994 finals series, the first match between the Kangaroos and Hawthorn was a draw, with the Kangaroos winning in extra time. There were also two other games in the first week that were decided by less then a kick, and could quite easilly have gone to extra time as well.

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    A fantastic start for me, tipping 4/4 in the first week. I'll be sticking with the same formula and also history with my selections for this week.

My tips:

West Coast
    Kangaroos

The last draw was in the Qualifying Final back in 1990, between West Coast and Collingwood. West Coast full forward, Peter Sumich had a chance to win the game for the Eagles with the last kick of the game, but he missed. Collingwood won the replay, and went on to win the flag that year.

5. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee will blow the whistle to indicate a mark, which is a caught pass of sufficient distance (is it 15 yards/meters?) for which the player catching the ball is awarded a free kick.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Friday night and Saturday night, respectively...

7. mrsbabytiger2001

mrsbabytiger2001 New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Melbourne. AUS
    hello all.. and mrbt by the way get that DVD ready for me :D 'it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine' :D

here are my tips

West Coast
    North Melbourne

good luck all

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my tips -- going completely against my wife with mine.

Collingwood (to buck a trend that hasn't seen them win at Subiaco Oval since 1992)
    Hawthorn (perhaps another meek effort by North? Might not matter if Buddy has another field day)

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tipping ladder for the finals competition, thus far...

ScouseCat -- 4
    babytiger2001 -- 3
    mrsbabytiger2001 -- 3
    RichardL -- 3
    Heathmyhero -- 3
    bcwildcatjohn -- 3
    Spartacus -- 2

And not to late for others to join in, even for the fun...

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And continuing on from their coverage last weekend, Setanta Sport USA will have both semifinal matches (elimination finals, to be honest) on LIVE this weekend -- West Coast v Collingwood on Friday morning (U.S. ET) and North Melbourne v Hawthorn from the MCG early Saturday morning (U.S. ET).

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    West Coast Eagles v Collingwood
    Hawthorn v North Melbourne

West Coast - Reading had a shirt sponsor called Westcoast for a number of years, and I still don't really know what they did or made. Magpie was a cheap saturday morning kids tv show on ITV in the 1970s. In their last show they told kids how to make a diamond by placing a lump of coal in the oven at gas mark 8 for 2000 years. Clearly it's two magpie wins for joy in the finals, and sorrow for west coast.

Hawthorn play in brown. nuff said. North Melbourne, on the other hand, are named after an animal that has three vaginas, so should always be popular at parties. North Melbourne to power through the left, right and centre to take victory.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weekend squads for the do-or-die elimination finals have been announced...

Teams story: Eagles and Roos hit hard -- sportal.com.au

Among the highlights of the selections:

• Quite simply, the West Coast Eagles have been decimated -- no Ben Cousins, no Daniel Kerr, and despite every opportunity to get him ready to play even at the expense of painkillers, there will be no Chris Judd, either.
    • North Melbourne will be minus forward Corey Jones, out with a foot injury.
    • By contrast, Collingwood and Hawthorn remain unchanged.

AFL Semi-Final line-ups -- sportal.com.au

13. bcwildcatjohn

bcwildcatjohn New Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Florida
    West Coast Eagles v Collingwood: West Coast Eagles
    Hawthorn v North Melbourne: North Melbourne

14. Heathmyhero

Heathmyhero New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    ooooooo.....
    Collingwood FC
    North Melbourne FC
    Official tips

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first preliminary final match is now in. At Subiaco Oval, in Perth, West Coast v Collingwood -- a match with a result achieved in amazing circumstances...
    [result]West Coast 10.14 (74)
    Collingwood 13.15 (93)

After extra time, once it was deadlocked at 10.12 (72) apiece after four quarters of footy.

West Coast are out, while Collingwood will play Geelong next Friday night at the MCG in one preliminary final.[/result]

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the full-time score from the second elimination final, played Saturday night at the MCG between Hawthorn and North Melbourne before a record crowd for this corresponding fixture:
    [result]Hawthorn 8.12 (60)
    North Melbourne 14.9 (93)

Lance Franklin kicked three majors for the Hawks, but could not save Hawthorn's season all by himself. North Melbourne move on to face Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium next Saturday evening, while the Hawks' season is over.[/result]

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tipping stats, for the round: Heathmyhero and RichardL were the only ones to get both games right this weekend. Everyone else got one out of the two, with no one striking out completely.

The updated finals tipping ladder...

RichardL -- 5
    Heathmyhero -- 5
    ScouseCat -- 5
    babytiger2001 -- 4
    mrsbabytiger2001 -- 4
    bcwildcatjohn -- 4
    Spartacus -- 3

With three games left to tip, over the final fortnight, it would seem like a three-person race. But you never know... ;)

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Yeah, like how I could be so wrong so often. I had a feeling this would happen this season. The past 2 seasons I tipped in virtual ignorance. This year I paid attention. Look what happens when you pay attention!

19. Heathmyhero

Heathmyhero New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Ah, 2 out of 2! Go pies.
    Ill tip port for now.

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Last September, I stood near the corner of Collins and Spring Streets during the Grand Final Parade. I looked at the crowd gathered to pay tribute to West Coast Eagles and Sydney Swans, two inter-state teams, and thought "Lord deliver me when two Melbourne clubs meet in the Grand Final". And, even though I won't be there for this Grand Final, I'd still love to see it this year.

So, against my better judgement, I'm tipping Geelong and North Melbourne for the final (even though I really think Port will handle the Kangaroos).

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not really keen on Port Adelaide. They have an awful club song, play in a nasty colour, and that's probably enough for an irrational dislike. They are playing the Kangaroos, the very first team I nominally supported at my first ever AFL match, and who scored the first ever AFL goal I saw, after only 20 seconds, and were the first of the four home wins I saw. I think I'm going to continue my irrational dislike of Port Adelaide as they complete a home win and make the final.

I really wish Geelong v Collingwood was the final. Of the four teams whose home games I saw back in May, the wins for these two were the ones I got into the most. Collingwood had a hard fight in front of over 77,000 v a Carlton side that people hadn't yet realised were rubbish. Knowing nothing of comparitive strength, seeing Geelong topple the unbeaten West Coast at their comparitively tiny Skilled Stadium, it felt akin to Reading beating Chelsea. Little did I know that Geelong were to embark on a dream run that would see them win every single game bar one for the rest of the season, seeing them installed as red-hot favourites. But something just says to me that's it's been too perfect. I actually quite hope I'm wrong, but I can see that dream being shattered by a completely unexpected Collingwood victory.

So for me, Port Adelaide and Collingwood to win, even though I'd actually probably prefer the Kangaroos and Geelong to do so.

22. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    From a Geelong point of view, we couldn't have scripted it better. Extra time between Collingwood and West Coast last week must surely mean a tired Collingwood side on Friday night and a Geelong win. I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

My tips:

Geelong
    Port Power

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conventional wisdom here... Geelong and Port Adelaide for me.

Although a Geelong v North Melbourne matchup in the Grand Final will have this town and the whole state in raptures.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But on the other hand, my lovely wife did pay more attention to the news and developments every week, as opposed to years past -- and not being the one-eyed Geelong fan she's made her reputation as (well, not completely, anyway). And her results have been much, much better.

So, it can happen. :)

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some news, involving the final four teams in the running...

Geelong may have a prohibitive advantage in the ruck contests if Collingwood's Josh Fraser fails to pass a fitness test for a nagging back injury for the Friday night match against the Cats at the MCG.

Look for North Melbourne sparkplug Daniel Wells to assume more of the attack via his own skills on Saturday -- even if it means him developing a selfish streak during the match against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

And the Kangaroos are also inspired to play on for club legend Glenn Archer, to send him out on a high note.

Geelong has made its mark at the start of the preliminary final week with the announcement that nine of its players have made the 22-strong All Australian side for 2007.