AFL, 2007 Finals {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Sep 2, 2007.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There'll be a catch-all thread for the first three weeks of the finals, with a separate tipping competition involved (sort of a "get even with babytiger2001" competition, if you will).

Here's the draw:

And the draw for the finals series, which starts next weekend:

Code:
    [CENTER][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"][I][B]Second qualifying final:
    [/B]Port Adelaide v West Coast, at AAMI Stadium, Friday September 7 at 7.50pm (CST).

[B]First elimination final:
    [/B]Hawthorn v Adelaide, at Telstra Dome, Saturday September 8 at 2.30pm (EST)

[B]Second elimination final:
    [/B]Collingwood v Sydney, at MCG, Saturday September 8 at 7.30pm (EST)

[B]First qualifying final:
    [/B]Geelong v North Melbourne, at MCG, Sunday September 9 at 2.45pm (EST)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    All the news, etc., to follow throughout the week -- along with the announcement of Setanta Sport USA's broadcast schedule for Week 1 of the finals.

Get your tips in, by Friday night, Melbourne time. As for a prize for the finals tipping comp, I'm thinking of a AFL-related DVD of some sort... watch this space.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AFL, 2007 Finals

And already, there's some disenchantment (as there almost always is) over the finals draw -- this one coming from the Hawthorn camp.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Re: AFL, 2007 Finals

Hey Hawkers...WAAAAAH!

If you'd have taken care of business, you'd have been in the top 4 and had a double-chance. Accept your lot and win out.

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    How about the Grand Final DVD? I'll need one for the collection...and for the annual (now late) Grand Final party I'll be throwing.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Second qualifying final:
    Port Adelaide v West Coast

First elimination final:
    Hawthorn v Adelaide

Second elimination final:
    Collingwood v Sydney

First qualifying final:
    Geelong v North Melbourne

6. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can I join this competition? If so, here are my finals tips...

Port Power
    Hawthorn
    Collingwood
    Geelong

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hawthorn v Adelaide
    Collingwood v Sydney

So Geelong's home advantage sees them playing away in the city of their opponent? There's logic in there somewhere.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea -- although I was thinking more along the lines of the "World Of Sport" retrospective DVD. In any event, I'll leave it in the hands of the punters here. :)

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an absolute crime against humanity that the Cats are not allowed -- via the MCC Agreement, among other things -- to host "home" finals at Kardinia Park. If they can't have high-profile matches there, they why the hell did they re-develop the ground with an outstandingly-looking grandstand on the Moorabool Street wing in the first place? I am among those who are livid about this.

(And part of my platform to replace Daryl Somers, that tool who hosts the Aussie "Dancing With The Stars", as the Number One Ticket-Holder of this massive club, by the way.) :)

But in any event, this is a home final for the mighty Geelong Football Club -- who has had more home matches at the MCG this year than has North Melbourne, just for point of reference.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you can, my friend. The finals tipping comp is open to all comers. :)

My tips...

Hawthorn v Adelaide
    Collingwood v Sydney

And those of mrsbabytiger2001:

Hawthorn v Adelaide
    Collingwood v Sydney

Happy tipping, all! :D

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Setanta Sport USA has all four AFL finals matches LIVE this weekend. Great news for U.S. footy fans. :)

13. Heathmyhero

Heathmyhero New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Port Adelaide v West Coast too strong everywhere
    Hawthorn v Adelaide but i think a draw first then hawks by 7
    Collingwood v Sydney fraser rusling and didak back.... look stronger then before
    Geelong v North Melbourne odd tip of the week....

port for flag

14. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    It doesn't matter where we play, we'll beat the Kangaroos this week. I'm enjoying hearing the words coming out of Dean Laidley and his team this week, saying that there's no difference finishing 1st from 4th, and that we're on the same level. Come Sunday afternoon, his boys are going to be in for one hell of a rude wake up call, as the Cats show why they won 3 more games then anyone else this year!

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much agreed.

In the run-up to the end of the season (eg., once the Cats were crowned minor premiers with about four weeks or so to go, in the home-and-away season), the debate started in the GFC Social Club's Members Lounge -- where I happen to have been tending bar recently on match days at Kardinia Park -- about who would be our best opponent for the opening week of the finals.

One man summed it up best when he stood up and bellowed, "We will play anyone, anywhere, anytime, any place, anyhow!"

Sort of along the same lines of Herman Edwards' now-legendary line of, "You play to win the game!" -- and even more emphatic, methinks. :D

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting tip.

For the record, when was the last time any sort of finals match was replayed?

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. bcwildcatjohn

bcwildcatjohn New Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Florida
    Port Adelaide v West Coast: Port Adelaide
    Hawthorn v Adelaide: Hawthorn
    Collingwood v Sydney: Sydney
    Geelong v North Melbourne: Geelong

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    It's been at least 20 years. I remember a preliminary final draw which forced a replay on the last Saturday in September, and the Grand Final pushed into October. If I remember right, it got international press coverage because of the number of weddings that had to be rescheduled in Melbourne...and that the sitting president of the AFL would not be attending the Grand Final due to Yom Kippur.

Isn't there some sort of overtime scheme now to prevent replays and the need for reshuffling the schedule?

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the case, indeed. I would have to check matters on the AFL's official site, but I'm sure they'd play extra time (just as they do in soccer's important tournaments, ten to fifteen minutes each way, I think) rather than schedule a replay seven days later. And it even makes more sense than doing a replay midweek, for various logistical reasons.

I would say that my particular industry, the hospitality industry, is another one of those larger bodies that would lose out if replays pushed back a Grand Final again. That's always been the case, but now moreso than ever before.

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The finals results, so far...

On Friday night, at AAMI Stadium, in Adelaide, to open the finals series for 2007, Port Adelaide v West Coast:
    [result]Port Adelaide 9.14 (68)
    West Coast 9.11 (65)

A very good Warren Tredrea-inspired comeback by the Power -- but they were aided and abetted by an underdone West Coast midfield, which will now be without Ben Cousins for the remainder of the finals series.[/result]

On Saturday afternoon, at Telstra Dome, Hawthorn v Adelaide:
    [result]Hawthorn 15.15 (105)
    Adelaide 15.12 (102)

Lance Franklin led the Hawks' charge -- not just with seven goals off his own boot, but the all-important decisive major in the final minute that edged Hawthorn ahead at the death. And a disappointing output from Crows legend Mark Ricciuto in his final AFL match.[/result]

And on Saturday night, at the MCG, Collingwood v Sydney:
    [result]Collingwood 18.17 (125)
    Sydney 13.9 (87)

Anthony Rocca kicks six of the best, as Sydney -- Grand Final participants in the previous two years -- are out without as much as a whimper.[/result]

And in an update of teams news for Sunday, Geelong has dropped former captain Steven King to the emergencies along with Travis Varcoe and Tom Hawkins for tomorrow's match against North Melbourne -- instead preferring Mark Blake as a second-ruck option to the in-form Brad Ottens. Max Rooke, however, comes in for Matthew Egan, whose season ended last week due to a broken foot.

22. Heathmyhero

Heathmyhero New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Well i have got a good footy head hey! not sure.

BUDDY BUDDY BUDDY
    Buddy show!!!

Thats a good one for me. including Port

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    AMEN!

I should change my handle to "Buddymyhero"!

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from helping tend one of the bars at the MCG...

Geelong v North Melbourne:
    [result]Geelong 23.18 (156)
    North Melbourne 8.2 (50)

A seven-goals-to-one outburst in the second quarter broke open a tight match in favor of Geelong, who will now play either Collingwood or West Coast at the MCG in two weeks, as the Cats have earned a week's break. Cam Mooney and Paul Chapman kicked five goals apiece for the Cats, while a Matthew Scarlett-led defense held the Kangaroos to without a single player able to kick more than one major score.

A record finals result for Geelong, whose 106-point margin of victory today betters the 94-point win over Essendon in the 1989 preliminary final.

North Melbourne plays Hawthorn next week in one elimination final, while Collingwood and West Coast play in the other one.[/result]

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Let me be the first:

West Coast Eagles v Collingwood
    Hawthorn v North Melbourne