News: AFC's 'Player Of The Year' Joke.

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by cmedina1983, Oct 9, 2009.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The joke's on Australia and South Korea, because in this pitiful display of "What the hell?", not one South Korean or Australian is present on the list. In fact the only two players out of the 15 no-names here that even remotely deserve to be on the list are Endo and Nakamura.

Talk about a suspicious looking "award".

http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia...n-stars-in-running-to-be-named-afc-player-ofI

Did the AFC do this to show up the top 2 nations in Asia, or is it purely accidental? Maybe money talks louder than common sense...

2. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kengo deserves to be on the list he's having a really good season.

But let's be honest, it's an useless award anyways.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The AFC reward points for how players rate in ACL, AFC Cup and Asian Cup matches, so for example, an unknown player from North Korea could score a hattrick against Yemen and get maximum points putting him on the shortlist.

For good nations, you get many good players, all of which can't be awarded man of the match, so they score no points. So a field of Japan V Australia with 22 players would only give you one victor to get anywhere near the list and get overlooked by players from smaller nations.

In essence, i think it keeps the smaller nations happy.

4. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Aleksandr Geynrikh is nominated as the worst player of Uzbekistans NT in this year, and what a surprice, he is a one step away from being the Asian player of the year :D

5. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Certainly it is a joke. I thought Endo deserved the award last year.Since European based players don't get nominated, with that in mind, this would have been my addition to that list:

Dae-se (Tese) Chong (Kawasaki Frontale)
    Joshua Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus)
    Han Peng (Shandong Luneng)
    Choi Hyo-jin (Pohang Steelers)
    Ki Sung-yong (FC seoul)

6. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Weren't European based players nominated last year?

I made a similar point to druryfire last year about how the system works. Basically smaller countries are more likely to have 1 or 2 star players that are always their motm, whereas NTs that qualify for WC tend to have many good players that split motm.
    That doesn't account for the complete lack of South Koreans or Australians though. Nor does it explain why Yoshida is on there. I don't want to insult him, but I just can't imagine him as being anywhere near a contender for such an award.

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The best thing AFC can do is to do away with this award and just give out MVP awards to ACL and AFC Cup tournaments. Otherwise it will always be a circus.

They could just also ask for national team managers to vote, which FIFA do, but then this would be even more lopsided as it would become like the Eurovision singing contest

8. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    They introduced this mathematical system precisely because it's more transparent. It was done to appease those who always questioned the choice back in the day. This is the result.

In the end, no real football fan cares about awards, surveys or prizes. It's all about goals, wins and trophies.

9. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Some interesting facts...
    - In 2008, Schwarzer (Fulham), Burns (AEK Athens), and Ali Al Habsi (Bolton) were all short-listed. As a side note, many people apparently thought Endo deserved a piece last year. The fact is that he wasn't even in the top 3. He got beat out by Djeparov (Bunyodkor), Matar (Al Wahda), Soria (Qatar SC)
    - They were the first Euro-based players selected since 2005 when Nakamura (Reggina) finished 3rd.

- In 2002 Shinji Ono (Feyenoord), Junichi Inamoto (Fulham), and Ahn Jung-Hwan (Perugia) were the 3 finalists (in order of winner to 3rd).
    - Since 2002, the only East Asian player to be in the top 3 was Nakamura. Twice in 2004 and 2005 -- finishing 3rd both times behind Ali Karimi (Al Ahli) and A'ala Hubail (Al Ahli) in 2004, and behind Hamad Al-Montashari (Al Ittihad) and Maxim Shatskikh (Dinamo Kiev) in 2005.
    - From 2003, the breakdown of finalists by country is as follows
    Thailand: 1
    Japan: 2 (both Naka)
    Iran: 2
    Uzbekistan: 3
    Bahrain: 1
    Kuwait: 1
    UAE: 1
    Qatar: 2
    Iraq: 2
    Saudi Arabia: 3

- The breakdown by club country since 2003 is:
    Germany: 1 (Mahdavikia)
    Ukraine: 2 (both Maxim Shatskikh)
    Italy: 2 (both Naka)
    Thailand: 1
    Uzbekistan: 1
    Bahrain: 1
    Kuwait: 1
    Qatar: 3
    UAE: 3
    Saud Arabia: 3

Let's be certain of 1 thing here. Impartiality has nothing to do with this award, no matter what point system may exist.

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh yea... and there wasn't a single South Korean short listed last year either.
    Two years in a row and not a single South Korean player worth mentioning? Yea... I believe that one.

11. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Scotch,

Nobody said they can't be picked, but they are at a disadvantage because they play fewer games that make the count. A Euro based player will not take part in many AFC competitions (Asian cup only, and even then probably only the finals if at all), and not all FIFA (they will miss out on some qualifier games). It's pretty simple.

On another note, I will also say something that will upset the Koreans and Aussies here, particularly with their superiority complex. While there's much to admire about their team ethic and athleticism, they really have very few standout individuals. A bunch of workhorses and thugs. So what if they run around (when they're not on the bench) like a donkey for a European team.

12. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As I recall, AFC said they couldn't be picked in 06 and 07 because they wouldn't be able to attend the ceremony.
    Fittingly, those would have been the years you'd think Naka and/or PJS would've been the only players worth mentioning. How convenient.

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Well it doesn't matter, while most of these 'excellent' players nominated for this 'prestigious' award will watch the next World Cup from home, those scrubs and donkeys of Korea and Australia (who topped their respective WC qualifying group) will actually play in South Africa representing their nation and continue their professional career in Europe and elsewhere afterwards.

Anyway, I wonder how many of those players nominated could get a place in Korea or Australia's national squad.

14. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Please see the list of these players who were nominated for this year's AFC player of the year and tell me again if players like Ali Ashfaq of Maldives is individually better than any Australia or South Korea NT players.

2009 AFC Player of the Year
    -------------------------------------------------
    Alexander Geynrikh (Uzbekistan) Pakhtakor
    Ali Ashfaq (Maldives) VB
    Baba Malick (Qatar) Umm Salal
    Firas Al Khatib (Syria) Al Arabi/Al Qadsiya
    Hadi Aghily (Iran) Sepahan
    Hong Yong Jo (North Korea) Rostov, Russia
    Kengo Nakamura, (Japan) Kawasaki Frontale
    Li Weifeng (China) Suwon Bluewings, Korea
    Markus Rihihina (Indonesia) PSMS Medan
    Maya Yoshida, (Japan) Nagoya Grampus
    Mohammed Noor, (Saudi Arabia) Al Ittihad
    Nassir Al Shamrani, (Saudi Arabia) Al Shabab
    Ri Myong Guk (North Korea) Pyongyang Athletics Club
    Sayed Mohamed Adnan (Bahrain) Al Khor
    Yasuhito Endo, (Japan) Gamba Osaka

AFC player of the year has always been a joke since Bin Hammam became the president of AFC. (Since Hammam was elected, AFC Player of the year award has always been handed to players in West Asia. Can you explain anything about this?)

You're saying this "reward points" system is transparent, yet there's no source to find how many points are awarded to each player and which particular player got "x" points in AFC CL and "y" points in Asian Cup and etc. And btw, who judges points? It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that all the judges turned out to be Bin Hammam's puppets. :eek:

Take Li Weifeng for instance, he's currently playing for Suwon Bluewings of K-league. Yet, Suwon has been awful this season getting knocked out by Nagoya in the last 16 of AFC CL. Li Weifeng has not been called up for China NT for a very long time so he only got the points from the AFC CL. Now, take Ki Sung-Yong of FC Seoul for comparison. He's only 20 years old but this year he's contributed a lot. He single-handily helped his team advance to the quarter finals of AFC CL with a last minute goal against Kashima at Japan. He was also a key player in helping Korea NT qualify for the WC. (He scored a goal against UAE & He was the Motm at Iran)

If the points system were objective & transparent as you say, Ki would have gotten more points than Li. This "one instance" alone can tell how rigged the AFC player of the award system has been for all those years and why nobody, even the Asian football journalists, cares about it anymore. (There are a lot of articles that criticize about the AFC player of the year award so have a read on some of them)

15. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think the thread title should be "The AFC joke".

16. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    yes, iircc both Park Ji-sung and Nakamura had been short-listed (list of 5 or so players) in differnt years and both said they would not be able to attend the award ceremony and on that grounds were not chosen as they put in a new stipulation that the winner must attend the award ceremony.

it is vital that the AFC Player ofthe Year award regains some of its credibility.

this is just yet another symptom of the corruption and lack of professionalism within the AFC. It is not only the fans within the AFC who will note what a joke this award is (when in other confeds the corressponding award is one of the most prestigious) but FIFA and other cofeds will take note as well.

In another words this is detrimental to AFC's own standing and influence as an organisation in global football. Not just something the fans within AFC are embarassed about.

17. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    IT's given according to a points system based on MoM awards in FIFA and AFC competitions, which has been in use since the 2007 edition.

It may not be the most inspired set of criteria, it may discriminate unfairly against certain classes of players, but it's nothing if not transparent.

By the way I don't get why Uzbekistan (where the last winner came from) is being suddenly lumped in with "West Asia" for the purposes of this award. Seems a little too convenient. Uzbekistan is in central Asia, not west Asia, and to imply that there's some sort of regional-based connection between Bin Hammam and Uzbekistan is stretching an already flawed theory beyond any bounds of possibility.

18. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    So do we know how the points are actually awarded and totaled during this 'transparent' process?

19. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Also if a foriegn players gets all the MOM awards - are they eligible for the AFC player of the year - similar to Kaka winning the UEFA award.

IMO they need two awards - one for best AFC player - no matter where they play, and one for best player in AFC - no matter where they are from.

20. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    shambles of an award.

why dont they split it into 2? domestic asian player of the year and overseas(or european) asian player of the year?

21. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    A better question is why there haven't been any South Koreans short-listed in 2 years?
    Why hasn't a single player plying their trade in South Korea, Japan, Australia, or China been in the final 3 since 2003?

22. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    [​IMG]

23. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Started his regime in August 2002. Odd how that coincides so closely to the "since 2003...." tidbits.

24. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    i guess i should be mad about it, but i can't say i really care. this award has become a monkey business for some time now. it's probably a bit embarrassing for the winners.

25. driftr

driftr New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    u forget that finalists aren't scored just for talent, but also for evening wear and swimsuit categories. :p