AFC Wimbledon nearly there...

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by socaldon, Mar 27, 2005.

1. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    To my shame I haven't been to a game this season (I live less than 2 miles away) but did make the Surrey Cup Final in May which was a great game, winning in overtime.

But from what my friends who go semi-regularly you're right about this season. This is more of regrouping season, a top half finish will be acceptable and then start another scaling of divisions next year.

2. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    It'd be great if some of you AFC fans could talk to the Earthquakes fans. Their story is very similar to yours and your experiences may help them have a team to support next year.

3. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Who are they mate? San Jose Earthquakes I've vaguely heard of, an MLS Franchise?

4. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Yes, MLS franchise in Northern California, that was moved to Houston, Texas last week. Of the 10 MLS Cups, San Jose had won two, in 2001 and 2003.

5. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    If you go to the MLS pages on here then to MLS teams you'll find their pages.

6. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Oh right, Donovan's team, now I remember. That is big news.

So the San Jose faithful want to start their own grass roots team? Well I do have a contact in the AFC Wimbledon front office who could probably pull a few strings if they were really serious about it. Did you hear about the Manchester United break away club last season? They got fed up with all the commericalisation of MUFC and started their own club. They contacted AFC Wimbeldon for advice and played their first game against us.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, you need fans willing to take up their free time for a new founded club. aAs long as we don't have that we can support them from Europe as much as we want :-/.
    So C'mon you guys in San Jose, regain your game.

8. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Sadly, that's another thing that went wrong for them last year. At the end of MLS 2004 season Landon joined Bayer Leverkeusen. For one reason or another things didn't work out in Germany, he was only there a couple of months so it sounds like either he or the club didn't give the move chance to work. Anyway, he was back in MLS at the start of this last season for non other than, L.A. Galaxy, The Quakes keenest rivals, to rub salt into the wound The Gals won MLS Cup this season after the Quakes 'and most other teams' were light years better all season.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still in the chase. Only 8 points behind #2 and 10 points behind #1 with 2 games in hand.

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down you go MK Dons! Last place in the 1st Division and hopefully they stay there! You slipped through the cracks and now your on you'll be Bantha poo-doo in a few years. Maybe someone can steel the Dons back and give it to whom it belongs!

11. lickticious

lickticious New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Are there any plans for Wimbledon to move stadium or rebuild the old Kingstonian ground once Wimbledon do reach the dizzy heights of Championship football again? Do you think Wimbledon will ever have another football team (ie will AFC Wimbledon ever move back to Wimbledon) or will forever more play outside the borough?

12. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory, how long before the MK Dons could be facing AFC Wimbledon in league play?

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now that's where things get tricky. Building work isn't cheap, and can have serious implications on team-building. And also if they choose to move nearer Wimbledon, unless they finance the move by means other than selling the ground, they face the prospect of killing another club to achieve their dream, which is none too charitable.

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Depends on how fast MK Dons move in the other direction.

AFC is currently in the Ryman Premier League. If they were promoted this season (unlikely), they would move into the Conference (South) Division.

If they were promoted from there, they would move into Nationwide Conference.

The next level is League 2 (fourth division).

MK Dons are currently in League 1 (third division).

15. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    In theory, the season after next. AFC are in the Ryman Premier which is level seven of the pyramid, The Dons are in League One ie. level three. So next season it could be level six v. level four, therefore, the season after, both level five or Nationwide Conference.
    It's all in the link.
    http://www.thepyramid.info/pyramid/Pyramid2.htm

16. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002

Yes, pretty much. They tried every conceivable avenue to play in the London borough of Merton. But as they paid a fortune to buy Kingsmeadow I can't imagine they will move any time soon.

http://www.wisa.org.uk/cgi/l/articles/index.cgi?action=show&id=320

I suppose it depends just how successful they are.

17. Yank Womble

Yank Womble New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    HOTlanta, GA
    Well, I leave tomorrow for England!

My Australian Football team (the Atlanta Kookaburras) is coming to Reading to play in a tournament this weekend. Most of the guys are going over just for a long weekend, leaving tomorrow and coming back Monday -- but my favorite soccer team in the world is playing at home the next weekend, and since I'm going to be so close, I just HAVE to stay and attend a game!

So barring any disasters, I will be at the game versus East Thurrock United on the 15th. Any of you Wombles on here come by and say "hi" to the Yank Womble -- I'll be the big dude with the mustache, wearing the #10 AFCW home jersey (first design), and maybe also my AFCW beanie/knit hat/touque/whatever the hell you call it over there... I'll probably have my camera with Kodak Film strap, as well. I'll be trying to get there a little early -- and should be getting tickets in the Tempest End terrace.

Hope to see some of you there!

18. murphy54

murphy54 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    no I am not a fan:D

19. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Franchise were relegated today :D

MK Dons, welcome to...

[​IMG]

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    A little strange to post this but fail to note that AFC Wimbledon got knocked out of the Isthmian League playoffs?

21. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes! There IS some justice in this world.

22. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    That sucks, but if at least one of the teams goes up(AFC W)/or down(MK Dons) that is pretty good. Can't expect both of them to move a level each season.

AFC W (Level 7)
    MK Dons (Level 4)

The gap is closing.

23. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be hilarious if you bypassed each other without playing (Milton Keynes going down to fifth level for example and Wimbledon going up to the fourth level the same year).

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's certainly possible but somewhat unlikely imo. AFC Wimbledon's progress upwards is going to be tougher from this point (as evidenced by this season and Aldershot's stalled progress in relatively similar circumstances) and MK Dons will likely find their equilibrium and halt their slide: they'll have a new stadium soon which will probably boost their already reasonable lower-division attendances (5,620 last season whilst being relegated).

25. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went past the MK Dons new stadium on a rail replacement service to Bletchley a few weeks ago and I was stunned. "What are they gonna do with it?" was my thought. How long before there is a rugby team wanting to move there so they can reduce costs? "We feel Milton Keynes is a rugby hotbed".