AFC Wimbledon nearly there...

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by socaldon, Mar 27, 2005.

1. socaldon

socaldon New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    After another fantastic season, AFC could wrap up the championship tomorrow for the second successive season. Ryman Prem here we come! :)

If there's any football fans in the America's interested in joining, there is now a US Dons supporters club at http://usdons.com

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I'm guessing;

Ryman Premier

then

Conference South

then

Conference Proper

then

Football League Division 3 (League 2)

3 more years! :D

3. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    woohoo!

4. socaldon

socaldon New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    And if you want a treat, you can listen to live commentary of tomorrow's game (3/28/05) by going to http://www.wdon.com/ at 9AM Eastern, 6AM Pacific ( :eek: that's early!)

If the Wombles win and Walton and Hersham don't - that's the championship.

5. socaldon

socaldon New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Dons won 3-1 thus guaranteeing promotion to the Ryman Prem. Just need one more point or Walton not to win all their games for the championship.

Next game is away to Walton and Hersham! Next Saturday. :)

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Not to sound like an idiot, but what league are they in right now (relative to the Premier League), i.e. how long would it take them to get to the highest level if they were to get promoted every year? I found this league structure breakdown...

http://www.thefa.com/Grassroots/Lea...tings/2004/04/LeagueRestructuring_2004-05.htm

...but unfortunately it only goes as high as the "Football Conference" and I have no idea what league that is.

7. Warcod

Warcod New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Mattbro,

the Football Conference is immediately below the Football League.

Currently two teams are promoted each year into League 2, The Champions, (Barnet this year) and the winners of the playoffs, this consists of the teams placing second to fifth.

Hope this helps

8. Warcod

Warcod New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Mattbro, just reread your question.

They have just been promoted into the Ryman Premier

They would then go to the Conference South

Then the Football Conference

Then League 2

Then League 1

Then The Championship

Then The Premiership

So in theory they could be in the Premiership after 6 more seasons

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks very much Warcod.

Good luck to AFC Wimbledon. Now this is a team that it is impossible to dislike.

10. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Since the MK Dons have abandoned the crest and colors of Wimbledon, I'd like to see AFC Wimbledon buy them back and take their rightful place as Wimbledon FC.

In a couple years, MK will really need the money.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is amazing the support they have. Equally amazing that in just a few years they could do what most teams only dream of. I really need to look into getting tickets next time I'm in the UK. Sounds like the matches must have a great atmosphere.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not that amazing as it's not as if they are building a fan base from scratch. When Aldershot folded in 1992 they dropped 5 divisions and managed to retain most of their support. I think Telford, who went bust and dropped a similar way, have also retained their support. Sometimes the adversity is a great rallying call for support. In a curious way Doncaster Rovers owe much of their vastly improved support to the bitter battle with the chairman who tried to wipe them out.

Wimbledon will hit a few problems in a few years, assuming continued promotions, as I don't think the ground they play at is of football league standard. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to buy back plough lane one day. Good luck to them.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    then league 1
    championship
    Premiership
    6 more years! :D

14. scarfo

scarfo New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    I'm very happy to hear this. At the same time as this promotion, it's kind of ironic that the MK Dons, who were part of this vision their chairman had, are slipping away down the divisions, soon to be relegated from League 1.

Only a few seasons ago they had top, top players like Nigel Reo-Coker and Jobi McAnuff and Patrick Ageymang, who are easily championship quality. I'm sure Dons fans must look around at the team they could still have and cry.

15. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think we should have a Wimbledon thread going, so we can keep up the latest developments. Hopefully some of our Dons fans can update it for us.

Go Dons!!!! :)

16. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Just got back from the Senior Surrey Cup, the Dons beat Walton & Hersham 2-1 in extra time. The league and cup double :)

17. The_Watcher

The_Watcher New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Columbus
    Onwards and Upwards!!!!!

18. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

I love it. Just desserts.

19. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cant wait to play with them on fm in a couple years.

20. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    MK Dons won today to survive in League 1 by the skin of their teeth.

b.

21. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    Why did the club move to Milton in the first place? Were there financial troubles or just greedy management trying to make more money? The stories I read were pretty vague on that point.

22. Arwel

Arwel New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Crewe, UK
    They wouldn't have escaped if Wrexham hadn't been docked 10 points :(

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A genuine Wimbledon fan would be able to go into more details, but essentially the problems started when they moved out of their old ground (Plough Lane) and moved in at Crystal Palace. Home support did rise slightly, despite being outside of their natural district, but Selhurst allowed them to let in around 12,000 away fans. The intention was to move back the wimbledon, but that never happened, and the money for the sale of the old ground seemed to disappear too. The chairman then sold the club to some overseas investors. They ran the club for several years, but the club slipped out of the premiership. Depending on which source you believe, either the club was heavily in debt with no chance of balancing the books after relegation, or the money the club recieved in transfer fees and parachute TV payments was siphoned off.
    Another investor, in Milton Keynes got interested. He had wanted to build a large commercial development in Milton Keynes, but it was likely to fail without something of a 'sweetner' to make the development seem something more than just a commercial development. Bringing football to the town (a new town - it barely existed 40 years ago but now has something like 250,000 people living there) could well be enough to swing it.
    The board of Wimbledon, keen to either see a profit or a reduced debt (again, depending on which sources you believe) were keen on selling to the guy from Milton Keynes.
    The football league has rules in place specifically saying that clubs can't be bought and moved, not only because it's totally against the whole fundamental principal of earning you place in the league, but also because there had been a few example lower down the game where clubs were being moved, then folded, in dubious circumstances, with the directors enjoying a windfall from selling the grounds.
    Despite this ruling, the league allowed the move, probably because they didn't appear to like Wimbledon much anyway. Wimbledon's (long since gone) rather brutal long ball game, gamesmanship, dirty play and paltry crowds rather soured what had been fairytale rise up the divisions. They were quite happy to accept the Wimbledon owners' claims that the club would fold if it didn't move, even though there was a fair bit of evidence to the contrary.

The first season after the takeover (with the club still playing in London) saw Wimbledon fans boycott Wimbledon games completely, with only a few hundred still going to games. I think they recorded a 'crowd' of something like 329 for one match.

Wimbledon fans then formed their own club, several leagues below, and supported them instead.

Work has apparently started on the new stadium in Milton Keynes, and crowds averaged a higher than expected (bearing in mind their crowd base of zero 18 months ago) 4,896 despite a very poor season in which they were 5 minutes from a second successive relegation, so they haven't proved the total disaster everyone was expecting (hoping?).

24. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    How could those people let a club keep its place in a division after moving without making them play at a lower division? I wonder who's pocket got fat off that shady deal.

25. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    meh! Only club from the Ryman I could ever really love is Yeading...

I mean c'mon! They have two bunnies on their crest! ...I don't know if they are moving to conference or not..