AFC WCQ Round 3 Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I said it already elsewhere.
    If Japan fails to beat Australia on the next matchday the highest I can see them finishing is in a playoff spot.
    The reason is simply that Australia and Saudi Arabia are ruthless this time. They are not going to drop any points where they shouldn't.

2. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia's home games at neutral venues hasn't caused trouble yet but that's against lower seeded opponents. If they can't get organised prior to hosting Saudi Arabia in November, it may to a rare "Home" loss in WCQ for Australia (they have only lost once at home in a WCQ in the past 40 years and that was a dead rubber match).

The Matildas are supposedly hosting the Brazil Women's team in late October so if that goes ahead, then hosting Saudi Arabia should be possible, with quarantine waivers and Covid bubbles.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We also fielded the Olympic team that day.

thewitness repped this.
  4. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Things would have been different definitely if all the teams were playing matches at there home ground. I was expecting some excitement with UAE under BVM but they have failed as usual. Iraq is unstable as usual with frequent coach changes. Lebanon have first time qualified and are just for experience. Syria needs stability too..

5. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The problem is KSA have not got any real test abroad for almost a year now. The first round remaining matches were played in Riyadh which helped the team a lot. The second round of qualification also yielded a good omen for them as they played 2 of 3 games at home with one more pending against China. If KSA fails to beat China then we can say the group is wide open.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I have Japan barely getting a 1-0 win over Australia keeping their hopes for direct qualification alive.

Saudi Arabia will beat China.
    Oman will beat Vietnam.

7. Dejagah93

Dejagah93 Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree. Iraq is a different team when they play at home in front of 60.000 fans but the main reason for their downfall is their useless dutch coach, especially for not inviting the expat players. Sacking Katanec was a big mistake. From what I heard is that FIFA lifted the ban a few days ago. Now they can play at home again.

As for UAE, I also expected more from them but after the first match against Lebanon I knew they won't fight for the first two spots. I even think that Syria will get the 3rd place in the group. BVM had actually a good plan against Iran playing on counter attacks and also their pass combinations and decision making was better than ours. But everyone could see that besides Ali Mabkhout they don't have the neeeded quality. A few years ago, they had the likes of Omar Abdulrahman, Ahmad Khalil and Ismail Matar but none of them is playing anymore.

In my honest opinion, I believe that both groups are equally strong but the only team that makes a big difference is Saudi Arabia. They are a lot better than UAE. Teams from other pots are all on the same level.

Iran = Japan
    Korea = Australia
    UAE <<<<<< Saudi
    Iraq > China ( Not much difference but I rate Iraq a little stronger)
    Syria = Oman
    Lebanon = Vietnam

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Half Time

Japan 1 Australia 0

Japan got an early goal and since then have looked more likely to add to the lead than Australia has to equalise.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Australia hit the post.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree, although on most of their opportunities, Japan failed to come nearly as close as Australia did when Australia hit the post.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A good save from the keeper but Japan has had a few more decent chances than we have. That one was really our only chance. The game isn't over, but Australia need to improve.

12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Australia equalize with a nice free-kick which was initially awarded as penalty but the decision got overturned by VAR.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Japan wins Australia by the skin of their teeth. They are now back in the race for direct qualification.

Had it ended in a draw it would have been a serious blow. My gut says Moriyasu would have even got the sack.

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Full Time
    Japan 2 Australia 1

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get the draw but overall Japan were the better team so can't complain. A good free kick from an overturned penalty got Australia level and a late goal that deflected off Behic's legs gave Japan the win. The Behic own goal (if that's how it goes in the books) sums up his personal night as I don't think he ever quite got into the groove all night. Makes Australia's next game against Saudi Arabia (hopefully in Australia) a pretty important one.

15. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    KSA's game against China will be an important one now. If they win against China they will be 3 points clear to the game and can afford to drop points against Australia the next game. It will also add more pressure on Japan as the point gap will increase to 6 between KSA and Japan.

Any other result for KSA means the group will remain wide open and China will join the race.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Oman 3 Vietnam 1
    KSA 3 China 2

In this group, KSA has 12 points, Australia 9, Oman and Japan each 6 points, while Vietnam has 0.

17. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    KSA goes 3 points clear at the top after another scrappy win against China. Overall game was good but could have been better. Owais injury is a concern as the guy is in top form for NT.

The honeymoon period is over for KSA now. Two away games against Australia and Vietnam. If Australia plays at home then it will be huge task for the players to keep up the play against Vietnam after travelling a long journey. 4 points from the next two games would be sufficient for KSA to all but confirm there place in top two.

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Current Standings

Saudi Arabia 12 (+5)
    Australia 9 (+5)
    Oman 6 (0)*
    Japan 6 (0)
    China 3 (-4)
    Vietnam 0 (-6)

To complete the first round unbeaten Saudi Arabia play Australia in the next round (nominally a home game for Australia and could possibly be played in Sydney this time), China host Oman and Vietnam host Japan.

A win to Saudi Arabia would see them in a very good position to take a top 2 spot. A win to Australia will see each of the predicted top 3 teams winning their home games against each other. The China Oman game is important to these teams. China need the 3 points to have any chance and Oman need the 3 points to keep up with the top 3. Vietnam haven't registered a point yet and they could make things very difficult for Japan who can't afford to drop points here.

The second November matchday sees China host Australia, Oman host Japan and Vietnam host Saudi Arabia.

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Assuming Australia beat KSA at home, which seems likely, and Japan beat Vietnam, this group will tighten up at the top, leaving Australia and KSA tied on points (12), with Japan behind them with 9. The good news for Japan is that KSA have a terrible record against China and they are very likely to lose points when they face China in China. And the other good news is that kSA has a lot of road games ahead, where they might struggle for 3 points even against Vietnam.

But the bad news for Japan is that they didn't get here totally accidentally. This Japan team isn't convincing enough to take full advantage even if a life line is thrown its way once the Saudis start fumbling.

20. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    KSA's away win against Oman have been a blessing for them which means they can afford to drop points in one away game atleast. As you mentioned Japan is not playing as they used to be before, they have to host KSA at home and Oman away still. This two games will also be crucial for them to cement there place in top 2. If Japan looses or draws either of the one then it's game over for them.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    For the moment, Japan aren't even assured of a playoff spot, so obviously they will have a lot must win games ahead if they are going to finish among the top 2.

KSA, however, has a tough schedule ahead, with away games against Japan and Australia (along with China -- a team that for some reason has their number, as well as Vietnam), with even their their home games no walk in the park, especially the one against Australia but even the one against Oman. Put differently, KSA will have to bat substantially above its historical record to earn more than 6-7 points from its remaining 6 games, while it would not be shocking at all if KSA were to manage even less than that.

I think the schedule has basically helped mislead some when it comes to how close this group might turn out to be.

22. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Japan's midfield used to be the best in Asia, particularly with likes of Hasebe, Honda and Kagawa back in early 2010s. That's how Japan had been able to overcome their perennial weakness at the top.

For me that does not seem to be anymore this edition of JNT. Plus Nagatomo has been too aged to stay top of his form, leaving the left flank so vulnerable. Missing Kubo didn't help their case either. He is their only playmaker who can create things out of nothing.

As they cannot afford to drop more points, the next 3-4 ties are now must-win for them.

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  23. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    TBH and with all due respect, all Asian teams especially West Asian teams fear Japan for nothing. Its all the media hype created before the match the teams stumble under pressure. I still believe and will happen soon, teams like Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and Syria come assemble themselves and start playing at home things will be very much different for the far east asian teams.

Kuwait used to be a force in GCC region until they got banned from FIFA and the team got disbanded. Bahrain on the other hand was rising to the top until the political issue stuck them and they lost many of its players. They have not been able to pick themselves up since then.

It will be interesting to watch Qatar post WC if they can continue there form and be fearful team as they are currently or they will just shut off.

24. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    This wasn't the worst defeat. The worst defeat was when Iran lost to Saudi Arabia in Azadi Stadium in Tehran in front of over 100K spectators and once most prolific striker as Iranian Coach. Though both team ended up not qualifying to the world cup.

25. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The best ever Japanese team was of early 1990s when Japan had a dynamite player in the form of Kazumiyora