AFC WCQ Round 3 Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Jul 1, 2021.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan
    Australia
    Saudi Arabia
    China
    Oman
    Vietnam

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably 2 early for predictions but I suspect the top 3 seeds will fill the top 3 spaces, just not sure of the order. Hopefully we aren't 3rd this time.

Japan - Went through their group very easily scoring a lot of goals in the process. Without disrespecting their opponents I don't think any of them had the ability to test a team of Japan's ability.

Australia - Also won all of our matches but didn't score as many goals as Japan. Only had one home game during the group and with most of the games in the middle east (an area where Australia has struggled in the past) went a bit better than expected. Jordan was the only team that provided a real test and the other games were pretty comfortable wins.

Saudi Arabia - Won the 2nd round group comfortably but dropped points against teams that finished 3rd and 5th. They can't afford to do that in the 3rd round as Australia discovered last time when draws against Thailand and Iraq sent them to 3rd place.

China - qualified as the best 2nd placed team behind Syria in their group. Still got 19 points with the only points lost being a loss to Syria and a draw against Philippines. A win against the Philippines would have seen them top the group.

Oman - Oman were the 2nd best second placed team with the only points dropped being two losses to Qatar. I don't believe they will figure in the top 3 but they may well influence who does (and in what order).

Vietnam - Had a good campaign so far with a loss to UAE and 2 draws to Thailand the only dropped points in the 2nd round. The 4th best second round team. It's their first time at this level and that lack of experience may play against them but I think they've showed enough that any team that thinks they will take it easy against them may get a big surprise.