AFC WCQ Round 3 Group A

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Jul 1, 2021.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Iran
    Korea Republic
    UAE
    Iraq
    Syria
    Lebanon

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Games kick off today. My gut feel tells me that South Korea and Iran will qualify from this group again, but the playoff spot is anyone's guess.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Didn't see any of these games. Commenting on results only

South Korea 0 Iraq 0

A good point for Iraq.

Iran 1 Syria 0

Iran gets way to a good start this round

UAE 0 Lebanon 0

Not many goals in this group so far.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 goal lol.... hopefully more to come later..

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran's victory against Syria was somewhat fortunate. While Iran was the superior side statistically and otherwise, the fact is that we failed to create too many scoring chances while the Syrians had moments where they looked like they could score.

To be sure, credit must go where credit is due: while our coaching staff had to sit out this game because they had contracted Covid, and even though out players had basically come together just a couple of days ago and went into this match without any real practice, training or even a real coach to guide them, they still managed to secure the result they needed and record Iran's 8th straight win under our new coach. Nonetheless, Iran will have to play better to take full advantage of having ended up in what is to me clearly the weaker and less competitive of the two AFC WCQ groups. Otherwise, with this kind of performance, Iran's destiny may end up being decided by fortunate deflections and bounces of the ball.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Match day 2 results in Group A:
    S. Korea v Lebanon 1:0
    Syria v UAE 1:1
    Iraq v Iran 0:3*

*Iran scored early, played well, denied Iraq any scoring chances (or even shots on goal), added 2 more goals in the 2nd half and looked comfortably in control for most of the game.

KiarashM repped this.
  7. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    So far so good. Iran performed greatly today

8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    We're back. It's about time... I haven't seen an attacking Iranian side since forever. We did play attacking at times in Asia in WCQ 2018 and AC 2019 but it was still more of a balanced side as opposed to aggressively attacking. Daie, Ghotbi, CQ... all defensive coaches. We are more like our 98-2006 style now. But if we want to get out of the group stages in WC 2022 we need to keep some of the defensive discipline instilled by CQ... otherwise we will drop points in crucial games as well as in the world cup. That's how we played in 98-2006.. good offensive play but too many defensive lapses. If we get an easy group in WC 2022 it's possible we finally reach the round of 16. Overall I don't see us doing worse than under CQ result wise: what we lack in defense we make up with offense... and this style is easier on the eye.

9. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a great result and performance against a good team. If we did not get the first goal in second minute of the game, It would not have been as comfortable as It was and you cannot always get a goal in the second minute of the game. Anyway It was an impressive win but time to focus on next challenges.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Important qualifying games today.

UAE host Iran, knowing they need points against a team they have dismal head-to-head record against. Still, I sense a somewhat negative vibe in Iran's camp, I suppose partly because our two biggest stars, Taremi and Azmoun, have joined the team each having picked red cards in their league matches in Portugal and Russia respectively. That, the humidity in the UAE which the players and our coach have been complaining about, along with some other issues shared by other teams whose sides are composed mainly of foreign based players, and the comments and vibe you get from the team isn't as uplifting and positive.

The comments from the UAE coach in the pregame press conference, on the other hand, appeared confident or even arrogant. depending on where you are sitting:

Coach Van Marwijk confident as UAE take on Iran in World Cup qualifier

Iran will hopefully pick up its 10th consecutive win today, but the game is ultimately played on the pitch and the result dependent on how well everyone is doing their job and not on ratings, rankings or history. Best of luck to Iran.

almango repped this.
  11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    S. Korea v Syria 2:1 (0:0)

While the Koreans dominated possession and chances, they will feel a bit lucky to win a match which the Syrians tied in the 85th minute, only to find themselves losing a few minutes later. For S. Korea, Son looked good in helping his team build up their plays around Syria's box, although he was guilty of squandering at least one good chance with a poor shot. He did, however, score the winner, but that was easy, 'tap in', type of goal. On the other hand, S. Korea's Hwang (coming into this game with some buz and hype after scoring a brace against Newcastle) was quite poor all around, missing a couple of excellent chances and not doing much else that was useful.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    UAE v Iran 1:0 (0:0)

I take the 3 points in a very tense match, even though almost all the scoring chances belonged to Iran. Iran failed to convert a penalty but perhaps the most important moment was when VAR overturned a red card to one of Iran's defenders.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it was the other way, no? UAE 0-1 Iran ;)

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #14 Iranian Monitor, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    yes, my bad and I wish I could correct it but its too late.
    edit: but let me post the right score in big fonts:

UAE v Iran 0:1

15. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #15 teammellieIRANfan, Oct 7, 2021
    I think this was a very crucial and maybe even defining win. The two teams (apart from South Korea obviously) that might had posed a challenge to Iran's qualification to WC22, Iran has now beaten on away games. Those teams being Iraq and UAE.
    They could potentially still pose challenge, but Iran has a comfortable lead by 7 points, and I feel these teams are gonna continue to drop crucial points playing each other and the other arab teams.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #16 Iranian Monitor, Oct 7, 2021
    Iran right now leads the group with 9 points from 3 matches, with S. Korea right behind with 7 points. The two will meet on Tuesday for the big match in this group. The rest of the teams in the group so far have either 2 points (UAE, Lebanon, Iraq) or a mere solitary point (Syria).

p.s.
    For Iran, who have never lost to S. Korea at home (7 GP, 5 wins, 2 draws), there is probably a sense that a draw might be a good enough result against S.Korea although a win will go a long way to pretty much wrap up qualification.

teammellieIRANfan and almango repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Moments ago, it was confirmed that Iran v S. Korea will be played without any spectators.

Iran had hoped to have up to 10,000 spectators for this match, while the head of the IFF had previously indicated that the match will definitely be played with some spectators but had suggested the number that FIFA/AFC will authorize might be only 1,000,

While the IFF denies this, reports in the Iranian media blame the IFF for failing to give timely notices to FIFA/AFC of its request to have spectators.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It is hard for me to predict Iran v S. Korea. To me, it will really depend on things that are mostly unpredictable. But I am certainly comfortable saying that Iran has the tools to beat S. Korea (and even beat them comfortably).

For Iran, the duo of Azmoun-Taremi can overcome any Asian defense, while by Asian standards, Iranian defenders are generally disciplined, tough, physically strong, and technically capable. If they perform as well as they are capable of, they should be able to contain Son, Hwang and co. That is unless Son, for instance, unlike all of his other games against Iran, has a performance on par with the best we have seen from him in the EPL. That he found the net to score the late winner against Syria after a drought for S.Korea, and showed some sparks in that match while doing well orchestrating some of Korea's attacks around Syria's box, are somewhat ominous signs for me and should be rather encouraging for Korean fans. But Iranian defenders, and Iran's team defense -- while still not at the level of the Iranian team that totally shut out S. Korea from even a shot or chance (much less a goal) 4 years ago in Tehran -- are still much better than anything S. Korea will have encountered in its earlier matches in this group.

One thing that is clear: shots and chances against Iran are always going to be at a premium. If S. Korea are going to leave Iran with points, they definitely need to do better finishing any chances they get than they have so far in this tournament. Iran, on other hand, will mostly need to show up with the right lineup and avoid stupid mistakes. The rest will take care of itself.

almango repped this.
  19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #19 Kamtedrejt, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Iran - South Korea will end in a 1-1 tie. I can't separate the two teams.
    Especially without fans on the stands it's difficult to see anyone coming out on top.

Syria and the UAE will pick up their first wins.
    Iraq have been poor. I see them sacking Advocaat soon. They are not the team they were under Kantenec.

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Interestingly in the last 11 H2H meetings between Iran and South Korea neither side was able to score more than once.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    True. The last time either side scored more than 1 goal was in 2007, when Iran beat S. Korea 2:0. But while the games have been close on the scoreboard (typically, 1:0 or 1:1), the H2H record clearly favors Iran. S.Korea has not defeated Iran in any venue since they won 1:0 a.et in the 2011 Asian Cup. The last 6 games have either seen Iran win 1:0 (4 times, twice in Korea and twice in Iran) or in the two draws both in Korea. And, their all-time record against Iran in Iran has also been poor, with South Korea win-less in 7 such games, losing 5 times and drawing twice. (Of course, the fact that the stadium will be without spectators this time will offer S. Korea a unique opportunity to change that record, even if my own prediction is either a win for Iran or a draw).
    https://www.the-afc.com/en/national/asian_qualifiers/news/preview_ir_iran_v_korea_republic.html

22. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Regarding who could snatch the playoff spot I lean towards Syria for now.
    Only problem I have with Syria is that they don't have any real home matches but it was also like that for 2018 World Cup qualfying. I think Syria is now a bit worse than four years ago but I go regardless with them. This goes also to show how poor the other Arab teams in the group are.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I should add that while Iran v S. Korea matches have been low scoring in recent years, it wasn't always so. The two highest scoring games were both at the quarterfinals of the Asian Cup. In one of them (1996 Asian Cup), we had 8 goals exchanged in regulation, with Iran coming from behind to thrash S. Korea 6:2. In the other one, a thriller in the 2004 Asian Cup, Iran came out the winner 4:3, against a S.Korean side which had finished as semifinalist less than 2 years earlier in the 2002 World Cup.

But the most lopsided win between the two sides remains the first game ever played between the two teams in 1958, which S. Korea won 5:0.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    These are highlights of the two most memorable games between the two sides, with the 4:3 match rated as one the best ever matches in the Asian Cup.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Despite our record against them, I honestly would be content with a draw against S. Korea this time. I had read a lot of comments from Korean fans bashing their coach, but the truth is I am more impressed with this Korean team than any of the ones in recent memory. If I had often found S. Korea quite overrated, enjoying their reputation mostly by virtue of always being among the better teams in the AFC (allowing them to qualify to successive World Cups) despite seldom being the best, I think this S. Korean team is actually pretty good. Now, in front of a capacity crowd at Azadi stadium, I think they would still come up short. But playing without spectators in an empty stadium, I am worried this very attack minded S. Korea might finally accomplish what none of their predecessors have managed and beat Iran at home. I really hope that won't be the case but I am a bit worried.