AFC Olympic Qualifiers

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by toad455, Feb 25, 2015.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know LDV is 5-1...she plays Big. I guess at 5'4"my girl McCall is a giant - I think I saw her score two headers in one game at Sahlen's and loved it.

RE: Outplaying Japan -
    I made that conclusion based on hasselhoff's post above. Admittedly, I am an extremely SCOREBOARD kind of fan. I went on a huge rant here on BS back when people were saying Brazil outplayed the US in the 2008 Olympic gold medal game. Brazil didn't.

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anyone got the highlights of this 3-1 game?

3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Editing now, will post them on YT later on.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's highlights of all the goals. To poster Blissett; I was thinking of you when the Italian ref inadvertently helped score that 2nd Aussie goal!

BlueCrimson repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Australia v Japan full highlights

BlueCrimson and shlj repped this.
  6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Brazil outplayed the USWNT in the first 65 minutes or so of that match.
    After that point, the USWNT pretty much dominated the match from that point forward.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's almost like the Laura Bassett own-goal has actually cast a devious "curse" on Japan. They've been smoked since then in their most important games.

Since that match, in the two most "important" matches that Japan has played, they lost 5-2 against the USWNT, and they lost 3-1 against Australia. They gave up 8 goals in those 2 games combined, and were beaten by double-digits in both games. That is unheard of from a Japanese team since their outstanding run of 2011 and 2012 in capturing Gold and Silver against the World's best competition in their knockout stage games during that magnificent run.

Something strange is happening to Japan it seems.

The prophecy has stated a decline for Japan, starting in 2015, and they could be trending back near their pre-2011 levels. Let's hope not, because it would be nice to see Japan stay a Top 4 ranked team in the world consistently going forward. But then again, maybe Australia will soon become that team (i.e. the Queens of AFC). They have more momentum than any team in the world over the past 12 months or so, in terms of improvement and overall progression. They were the only team to "outplay" the USWNT for an entire half in any match last year at the WWC. They outplayed the USWNT in the first half of that match, and Solo had to save the USWNT from being behind on the scoreboard.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Table

1. Australia 3pts 3-1
    2. China 3 pts 2-0
    -------------------------------------
    3. North Korea 1 pt 1-1
    4. South Korea 1 pt 1-1
    5. Japan 0 pt 1-3
    6. Vietnam 0 pt 0-2

CoachJon repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #34 Lechus7, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Yup, they're only one team left in the top that don't use push, shows, elbows and dives.;)

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    let's see, Australia, missing some of their best players due to injuries. had to play in freezing conditions(2 degrees weather) in Japan's own back yard, and they didn't deserve the win?
    Whereas Japan, showing once again, they can't handle a high press(which I'm sure the Aussies endlessly studied last year's WC final) and still using Ogimi(2 Bundesliga goals so far this season) & Iwabuchi(0 BUND goals) as their lone strikers and resorting to taking a bunch of long, desperate long shots.
    Remember, Japan lost by identical score(1-3) to the Netherlands, just a months ago. It's about time the J coach starts trying to find some new players. A bunch of aging vets are just going to become more complacent as time wears on. I'm pretty sure the US wouldn't of won the WC if they started the likes of Wambach, Chalupny, Rampone & Box

Namdynamo repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if you enjoy a game of speed and the open field, well then this AIN'T the game for ya! here are highlights of the China vs Vietman game(and I don't even get a glimpseof my fav player to look at in this tounrey; the lovely Chinese gk, Zhao Lina!)

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget mere highlights, here's the Australia-Japan game in full.

exref and CoachJon repped this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who are the commentators? Are they former footballers?

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After watching the 20mins highlights, I think Australia deserves their win. Both sides got the same amount of chances and Australia took theirs better. Most of Japan's chances came from long shots/set pieces, in open play they couldn't penetrate the defense well. In the 2nd half Japan increased their tempo to enhance the attack but also gave Australia more spaces to counter. Why didn't they send Iwabuchi up earlier? She got the energy and skill to break defense like she did in the WWC.

15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #40 Lechus7, Mar 1, 2016
    Clearly you didn't get what I ment.It may be my fault as I'm not versed well in english. Allow me to elaborate. Who deserved the win was beside the point. Fact is that Australia won and Japan didn't, another fact is that Matildas extensively overused pushes, elbows and dives and Nadesikos did not. I can very well understand, that
    for some an idea of fair play according with FIFA Laws&Game rulebook and in today's global football especialy is nothin more than a sentimental naivety - but again for some it is not. Certainly not for Miyama and Co. What some players may see as a simple photo op - I'm thinking WWC captain's fair play pledge on behalf their teams in example - in case of Nadeshiko has real meaning, as seen by their actions on the field. Extreme poor refereeing seen in women's football doesn't help an idea of fair play either.
    As for "deserving to win" your examples weren't the best were they? - I mean really? As opposed to Australia, had Japan had their full roster of superhealthy players? Or perhaps during the game the sun was shining warm only on Nadeshiko players? Not to mention all those poisonous Japanese fans whistling on Matildas every play, c'mon mister! (Well I got carried away here - cuz due to their home country enviroment players from Antipodes surely are immune to most poisons by now ;):ROFLMAO:)
    I would've thought that in the case of "deserving to win" an example like: a sweet pinpoint cross by Gorry on De Vanna's head and then finsh of the latter, or even with taking ref's blunder out of equation - sole Heyman's timed run with her cool finsh over hapless Yamane - would serve more to the point.

In my opinion or understanding those Nadeshiko veteran team - thanks to their overall achivements for woso globally and what's more important for womens football developement in Japan, was given with this qual tournament one last opportunity to shine, for a change to be in the spotlight in front of cameras and maybe earn for themselves some little extra doe from it - for one they simply do deserved it. Beeing a force to be reckon with in womens game their chances for ticket to Rio are really still quite high.

You're looking at this match and the one last month.
    Someone said during a SF France v Japan back in London 2012 OG - refering to Japan's win over France 7:1 in first WWC U-17 2008 in New Zeland and 15 year old then Iwabuchi - golden ball winner there - a world cup holder, OG and WWC silver medalist today at the age of 22:
    "The great lesson I think (from Japan woso) for football countries all around the world is there's nothing piecemeal about the way they sat down and try to plot a long term strategy."

@WWC_Movement and for those that fear for future of Nadeshiko Japan:
    Check this Asako Takakura's young Nadeshiko team:
    champions of AFC U-16 in 2013
    then world champions WWC U-17 in Costarica 2014
    and champions again in AFC U-19 in 2015.
    During 2015 U-20 NTC Invitational in US that same team of 18-19 year old players, has won
    against USA 3:0,
    against Mexico 8:0
    and against Brazil 4:0.
    This year they're going for U20 WWC Papua New Guinea.
    Now imagine that in 4 years time just right for the Tokyo Olymipc 2020 all those players will be 23-24 years old and most of them will be already part of NT under the wings of "vets" like Utsugi, Kumagai, Ariyoshi or perhaps even Miyama.
    That's the shape of things to come. ;)
    Sorry for the errors in text.

blissett repped this.
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Success at the youth level =/= success at the senior level.

17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #42 Lechus7, Mar 1, 2016
    True. There are no guarntees. However foundations mentioned above are looking quite solid ;)
    (and there always are some exceptions - like with Iwabuchi or yesterdays sub Yokoyama - U17 WWC 2010 silver ball and bronze shoe)

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think Japan has a problem of young depth, but the senior NT needs to get new blood, the young players should be called in to the team after the Olympics.

19. Sirtel

Sirtel Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Only the woman. She is Tomomi Miyamoto, a legend of the game.

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just as I have thought.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Japan doesn't qualify, I won't let her get back in Italy. :giggle:

Japan-Korea Republic going to start: http://vaughnlive.tv/sherming8888

gricio61 and hotjam2 repped this.
  22. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Unfortunately my need for sleep overwhelmed my desire to watch today's matches. Got up in time to watch 10 minutes of the China match before CCTV-5 switched over to a basketball game with 20 minutes to play, after which China equalized. 1-1 FT.

Switched over to Japan - S. Korea just in time to see a goalless draw in the 80th minute turn into a 1-1 draw thanks to grotesque goalkeeping blunders on either end within about two minutes of each other. 1-1 FT.

Great results for Australia after they walloped Vietnam.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Table

1. Australia 6 pts 12-1
    2. China 4 pts 3-1
    -------------------------------------
    3. North Korea 2 pts 2-2
    4. South Korea 2 pts 2-2
    5. Japan 1 pt 2-4
    6. Vietnam 0 pt 0-11

Vietnam can be considered out of qualification race as expected. Australia just need two wins to go through as only China could better their potential 12 points.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wasn't surprised to see Japan lose to Australia. I am surprised to see Japan only manage a draw against S. Korea. They're hanging by a thread now.

I will laugh if everyone in the [China, Korea, Korea, Japan]* group loses to Australia, draws each other, and beats Vietnam so that it all comes down to GD, since that's what it's looking like right now. And if that were the case, I would not put my money on China since they only managed a +2 against Vietnam, though I'm not sure who I would put my money on. Probably N. Korea, since I don't think S. Korea has the offense to rack up goals and Japan doesn't have the culture to pile goals on either.

*Alternatively, if any one of these four can manage a victory against someone else in that group of four, that would put them greatly ahead.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  25. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It seems like Australia are the early favorites to win this qualifier. The second qualifier is completely up for grabs though. China has looked like the weakest out of them, Japan, North Korea & South Korea. So the final spot might come down to Japan & the two Koreas. North Korea has the hardest remaining schedule, though all three still have their matches against Vietnam. should be a fun next week watching what unfolds.