AFC Metro - The Legacy Continues...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metro1026, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  2. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    starting May 07 or 08.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are so concerned about the growth of soccer in this country, why are you railing against someone who is starting a team in such a grassroots way? AFC Metro is JUST as much a sign of growth of soccer in this country as Red Bull paying their bucks. Why do you (it seems) give more credit to Red Bull? It is obvious they are more concerned about things other than soccer, while this guy is all about soccer.

Look, man. Some people like soccer the way you do, and some people like the community aspect of it. There is room for it all. I can't grasp the mind that feels threatened by this.

- Paul

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    If you've been to the Highbury library in the last few years, you'd know that Bulldog is speaking truth.

5. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I was last at Highbury just eight weeks ago, and the atmosphere was absolutely brilliant. As ever.

Bright, I completely support the idea of a PDL side for north Jersey. But don't call them the Metro.

6. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    if he/they start a team they can call it whatever the ******** they want.

7. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    And the last four times I was at Anfield I was astonished by the lack of atmosphere by the KOP. If it's not a Cup match or a match against the big three, the atmosphere's not much different than a Devil's game (minus the canned "make some noise" atmosphere).

The lack of atmosphere has to do with all stadiums now being All-Seaters, and not corporate backing, but that's besides the point.

8. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    afcmetro.com is up.

Just a single page with a draft logo.

More to come....

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're lying. But beyond that, 9 out of 10 English supporters of premiership teams will tell you that with rising ticket prices and the influx of corporate boxes and business outings to footy games, the atmosphere is suffering badly. The phenomenon is espcially true in London. And while the trip into highbury is inspiring (in a way that cannot be replicated as a trip into the meadowlands, for example ), the atmosphere, inside of highbury, is pretty somnabulent.

10. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    :confused:

You don't think I'd wish another PDL team in North Jersey (w/o the name Metro) well?

If you don't know how great the atmosphere was against boro eight weeks ago, how dare you claim to support Arsenal?

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Ridiculous lying posing.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I'm not getting you here. If you want to see pics of me at the match, you can go over to the ArseAm boards here on BS, and look through the threads that relate to the win against boro. You'll see we're quite pleased with the current atmosphere at Premiership matches.

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I'm shaking my head in disbelief. What friggin matches have you seen at Highbury? Where have you sat?

I'm telling you I how great the vibe was there (and okay, I'll be specific, North Bank) just a few weeks ago and you call me a liar? WTF? :confused:

14. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Provide evidence that he's lying, or retract your libel.

Personal attacks are not necessary.

15. WIZZETS

WIZZETS New Member

May 30, 2001
    Chattanooga via NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not somebody has been to Highbury lately is a bit off topic, don't you think?

Back to AFC Metro...

We're talking apples and pears (not quite oranges). The game's the same, but nothing else is. Last I checked, my MetroStars season tickets are going to be honored, so I intend on going to every NYRB game this season (wearing my MetroStars jersey, of course). But I also am interested in supporting AFC Metro. There is no conflict here. Unless MLS broadens its scope and institutes relegation (and promotion), there never will be conflict. Even if relegation/promotion enter the picture, by the time AFC Metro could even begin to consider top-flight football, Red Bull will have sold NYRB to Toyota; Toyota will have turned around and sold the team to Dubai Ports World; and very few people will care that there once was a team called the MetroStars (except me).

16. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but how can you even compare Highbury, which I've been to, to MLS games? You can't. I'd take a full Highbury and their "quiet" supporters anyday of the week over a few of us in 101 making all the noise in an empty stadium. I think it's funny we're even arguing about what kind of atmosphere we want or don't want when we can't even get people to go in the first place.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    And in the context of an AFC Metro, absurd. You'll get what, a few hundred to show, tops? Why did people start following the Metro anyway, because of the name or the colors? No, it was because they represent the region in MLS.

I have to say that Metrogo's libel was beyond bizarre. Calling me a liar for saying I was there for the 'boro match 14 Jan, or calling me a liar for claiming I enjoyed a wonderful atmosphere? Well again, if he really cared to he could click over to the ArsenalAmerica boards here on BS and even see photos of myself and others having an absolutely amazing time.

Admittedly, my first time at The Home of Football was in 1994, so I can't speak to any changes in atmosphere there over decades, but everytime I've been there - and especially watching the Gunners win 7-0 a few weeks ago - has been beyond brilliant. And I'm far from alone in my devotion to "the Library." Who's the poseur, Metrogo? A real Gooner would never bad mouth THOF. Blasphemy.

If only we could have a fraction of that vibe. But (and here's where I'm trying to get back to the topic thread) let's be honest: AFC Metro won't ever deliver on some kind of Euroatmosphere. No... If you guys want to start a new North Jersey PDL side, then great! But "the legacy continues" with the NY Red Bulls, not a start-up PDL side. And because I've been a MetroStars supporter since day one, I really don't appreciate some people starting up a team and calling itself "Metro" and trying to preserve the legacy when I'll have to cheer against them.

When people lament the good ol days of English football, that's often a code for hooligans or racists who wax nostalgic for when they were allowed to act out their twisted fantasies.

Linking up with those "against modern football" won't help your cause.

18. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    and I (also a Metro supporter since day 1), don't appreciate anyone coming in, buying my team, and changing their name and colors for the purpose of selling their soft drink. So now no ones happy except for the douche bag throwing his money around.

I resent the fact that I'm pissed off and annoyed at people who a couple of weeks ago were fellow Metro fans. Now I find myself arguing with them (you) because they are less idealistic then me.

You embraced the sale pretty quickly. Let those of us who are still dreaming of a less commercialized world have the Metro name and follow a grassroots club. What else do we have left but a stinkin' dream and a name?

19. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Update:

At least one former Metro is on board with the idea.

A stadium site is seriously in contention, easily accessed by train.

I've been a MetroStars fan from day one and will continue to be one. We're not trying to replace the MetroStars, its a tribute. I respect the arguments against us, but in the end, organizing as METRO allows us benefits as opposed to being the NJ Whatevers....

Perhaps "The Legacy Continues..." is not a wise slogan....I may think of something else....its still early days....much has to come together still.....

Things slowly but surely are coming together though....at least for now....

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd imagine from MLS perspective atmosphere at 3rd league Kazakhstan stadium would be interesting too. England has better atmosphere (such as it is, not big fan of their style) in lower leagues than top flight EPL.

PS It's not harder to find fights.

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFC Metro has the potential to be the best thing happening in American soccer right now, as far as I'm concerned. Keep up the momentum, metro1026! This is the kind of spirit that inspires people. This is what life is all about.

The legacy does continue ... the legacy of the fans, the people, and the community. Don't be ashamed to represent. You will inspire people in ways that big corporations can't, even if they wanted to. We need this kind of thing. It is good for the soul.

- Paul

22. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
  23. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    May I suggest "Black and Red Forever"

24. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Good one...

We'll see....

25. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Metro1026,

If you follow this link and listen to Segments 7 and 8 you will hear 2 guys who are starting a PDL team in San Franando, California. I thought that you may get an idea or 2 from the interview. Please keep us up to date on what is going on with AFC Metro.

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=6416