AFC Cup & CL (step backwards!)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by futbol571, Jan 18, 2004.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I don't really get it. Well I know Hammam has basically hijacked AFC for his own and Blatter's purposes - but he really is a moron.

They stated they wanted the AFC Champions League to combine the whole of Asia, garner more media attention, ambition from clubs, $ from sponsors and be the unifying club force.

And in less than a year, and a horribly scheduled 1st tournament - they go and eliminate 1/2 of Asia and create the AFC Cup, which is basically where we started off before. 2 continental cups. This time, one is for "developed" and the other for "developing" soccer nations. Bascially going to create a WIDER gap in the way clubs and futbol is played in Asia.

Not to mention, when does one country get promoted to developed or relegated to developing?!? I mean this is a total joke.

Al-Ain and BEC Tero Sassana proved that there is alot of competitiveness in the typically "developed" clubs/countries. It is a BIG BIG mistake now creating these two seperate tournaments and seperating the clubs.

What they should have done is have one gigantice champions league divided into West and East and only in the final does the West "champion" play the East. Than you don't need to eliminate anyone and you can crown a true champion - with alot of interest from fans, media, clubs and sponsors.

It's a shame Hammam is so dumb. But alas he is like Warner in CONCACAF. How Warner has tried to make Trinidad recieve everything he can get (Centre of Excellence, FIFA U-17, etc) he will make the UAE get everything he can. It has already started. Get used to it Asia. You have the makings of your own soccer dictator ruining your continental game.

2. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Well UAE is the financial hub of the middle east now with flights stopping there when going to africa, australia and japan/asia and europe so i wouldn't be suprised if the AFC tried to make the UAE the centre of football in asia.

3. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Hammam is from Qatar.

That shoots down this theory

4. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    I couldn't have said any better. What puzzles me is how the hell Hammam and specially Vellepan got into the office. They have proved to be completely incompetant and corrupt. AFC SUCKS BIG TIME.