AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Mar 25, 2014.

1. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    soccerboy37 and KovenDreamer repped this.
  3. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    PersianLegion and KiarashM repped this.
  4. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://www.sportal.co.nz/football/n...rea-still-champions/3i1sks85y2ds1h1oown5c38kh

Stielike: South Korea still champions

"I don't agree we're not champions," the German said.

"I agree we don't have the Cup. But with the way we played today, we won many hearts.

"All the messages I have received, everyone is giving a big hand to the players. It could have gone either way. I think the best thing at the end of this game would have been a draw and both teams to take two years each of the Cup."

"First I will tell you something in Korean because it's coming deep from the heart ... the translation is 'Korea, you can be proud of your boys.' This is what I'm thinking and more what I'm feeling.

"I will tell you a story. Two days ago we did a session with two groups. There were 10 players, eight outfield players, two keepers.

"They played a small game. It means there's a lot of action for the keepers. We only have one player in the whole group who didn't play one minute (of the tournament). This is the third keeper. So I was looking to this game and this guy, the way he was working - if anybody didn't know our team, they would say he was number one."
    [emphasis mine]

*Article from Sportal

:( I wasn't mentally prepared in case Korea loses, partly because I thought we were just so lucky throughout the tournament and expected to somehow grind out a win on the final. But I think I'll be more thankful as time passes for having the opportunity to witness KNT play in AC final. :thumbsup:

Kanuck, brood915 and PacMan repped this.
  5. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    In the end, it was a fair result. Australia was the best team in the tournament (not necessarily the most talented, but the most cohesive) and they were the hosts as well. It was expected that they would win and they did. Australia knew what they were doing from day 1, whereas we only got our act together in the middle of the tournament. Plus, we had some key injuries and a new manager.

Good news it that I don't think there's any doubt that our individual stars are better than anybody else's. For example, see how SHM was able to equalize in the last minute whereas Robbie Kruse couldn't in the group match. KSY was the best midfielder in the tournament, and KJS was superb in defense too. The team seems to be solidly on the path to figuring out how to build the team around KSY and SHM. With two good GKs and a cautiously optimistic host of options in the backline, we look to have depth and stability going forward. Only issue is, typically, up front, but I have faith that KSW will pull through for us.

Damn, it would've been sweet to win, don't get me wrong. But I think after the explosive joy that was London 2012, I've realized that a single achievement won't fix everything. I honestly thought that military exemption for our key players and the confidence that would come from shining on the global stage would mean that Korea would instantly ascend to a new level. Of course, that didn't happen and 2012-2014 was pretty dark, indeed. So while it would've been very nice to win the AC, it wouldn't have turned night into day or vice versa. Instead, we have to take the many positive lessons learned here and make sure not to squander it going forward as we strive for our grander goals of great WC performances and the improvement of Korean youth football.

I loved seeing how Korea went from the team that hardly believed itself in the first match against Australia to the team that was arguably better than Australia in the final in the opponent's capital city. I loved how after Stielike criticized the mental fragility of the KNT, they were able to pull off a last-minute equalizer when they could've just given up.

Lots of positives going forward.

Kanuck, heyheyhe11, chook90 and 2 others repped this.
  6. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Remember how we looked against Oman and Kuwait and how painful it was to look as bad as we did before we hired the German. Yea let's not get too ahead of ourselves. We lost by skin of teeth. Good tournament in my book. Just hate to see Cha go out that way similar to how PJS went out.

7. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    For Korea, Brazil past, Russia future
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2015/02/136_172906.html

chook90 repped this.
  9. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Jimmy the Greek is decades before my time also.

Been watching 30 for 30 on Netflix.

Its strange, but whenever I watch 30 for 30 part of me is drawn to American Sports culture and American Sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), but at the same time it repels me.

For me football is enough. I will snack on the above now & again, and of course indulge myself with the Olympics, Tennis, Rugby etc but football is my staple.

Funny thing is that football fans are becoming increasingly stats obsessed like American sports fans. They mentioned this on yesterday's MOTD2 (2015.02.01), saying apparently that for increasing number of players their own stats like pass completion rate etc were one of the first things they wanted to find out post match and the pundit/player commented sometimes at the expense of losing sight of the fact its about how well the team as a whole played and not individual stats. I recommend people to watch that episode if they can.

Kanuck repped this.
  10. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    To be so close is what was gut wrenching for me.

To string a series of wins to reach a final is always not easy, and in the finals we were so close.

I'm sure it has been analysed to death post mortem on this boards, and look forward to reading them.

In the final analysis however, the cup was there for the taking, and both Korea and Australia had grabbed each handle, but it was Korea who let it slip. So close.

chook90 and Ceezy repped this.
  11. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah.

But let's not lose focus on the big picture. This tournament has provided a huge boost of confidence for our players, so for young ones who haven't yet established themselves in Europe like KJS, let's hope that they can take this experience and become an excellent player who can help us make history in Russia 2018. We may even see KSY and SHM become undisputed world-class players by then too.

Kanuck repped this.
  12. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Analytics, heat charts, you name it, only a matter of time before it went wild in football. but for sure, "American" sports certainly have run rampant with it. kind of a billion dollar industry on its own. not only for the teams who utilize them, but the people behind the technology and of course, the punters who read spreadsheet after spreadsheet and graph after graph before placing their $$$ down. on a side, speaking of The Greek and the seedier side of sports, you should def watch the 30 for 30 episode: Playing for the Mob. fascinating stuff and more so if one happens to be a fan of the movie Goodfellas.

13. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    most of those 30 for 30s are pretty awesome. i really liked the one about the Hernandez bros from Cuba. and i'm looking forward to the one next week on the 1980 Olympic hockey teams.

Kanuck repped this.
  14. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah, it's great stuff. and a lot of them are up on YT. you guys shud check out The U Part 2.

15. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    It would be so awesome to see a dream team tournament consisting of all confederations...

KiarashM repped this.
  16. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I really enjoyed watching the U story. I strongly recommend you to dig into the episode regarding the Two Escobars.

Kanuck and nmssis repped this.