News: AFC announced the draw mechanism of the 4th round

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Nurafshon, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    KUALA LUMPUR: AFC has announced the draw mechanics for the fourth and final round of the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers which takes place on Friday, June 27, 2008, at AFC House at 1700 hours.

The top-two teams from each of the five groups which are currently playing in the third round (last Match Day is June 22, 2008) qualify for the final phase which runs through September 6, 2008, to June 17, 2009.

The top five seeds for the fourth round draw (based on the ranking of the teams in the 2006 FIFA World Cup) as confirmed by FIFA are:

1) Australia
    2) Korea Republic
    3) Iran
    4) Saudi Arabia and Japan (joint-fourth)

If all the five top seeds qualify for the fourth round, Japan and Saudi Arabia, who are tied fourth, will be separated by a draw as recommended by the AFC Competitions Committee and ratified by the AFC Executive Committee on March 25, 2008.

Additionally, if Iraq qualify for the fourth round, they will be placed in position 5 (five) of the group so that they do not have to play on Match Day 10 which falls on June 17, 2009. This is to avoid a clash with the FIFA Confederations Cup schedule (June 14-28, 2009) in which Iraq will represent the continent as Asian champions. An updated draw mechanism will be published in case Iraq qualify.

THE DRAW MECHANISM

POT 1
     Rank 1
     Rank 2

POT 2
     Rank 3
     Rank 4

POT 3
     Rank 5
     Rank 6

POT 4
     Rank 7
     Rank 8
     Rank 9
     Rank 10

Step 1: Teams will be divided into 4 pots according to ranking. Ranking will be based on the 2006 FIFA World Cup as approved by FIFA.
    (Note: In the event that Japan and Saudi Arabia qualify, there will first be a draw to separate Japan and Saudi Arabia as they are currently tied fourth. First ball drawn will be put into Pot 2 as the 4th ranked team.)

Step 2: Teams to be drawn out of Pot 4. First ball drawn into position A5; second ball drawn into position B5, third ball drawn into position A4; fourth ball drawn into position B4

Step 3: Teams to be drawn out of Pot 3. First ball drawn into position A3; second ball drawn into position B3

Step 4: Teams to be drawn out of Pot 2. First ball drawn into position A2; second ball drawn into position B2

Step 5: Teams to be drawn out of Pot 1. First ball drawn into position A1; second ball drawn into position B1

MATCH SCHEDULE (TENTATIVE)
    TWO GROUPS OF FIVE: HOME AND AWAY

MD 1: September 6, 2008 - 3 v 2, 5 v 4 (1 bye)
    MD 2: September 10, 2008 - 4 v 1; 5 v 3 (2 bye)
    MD 3: October 15, 2008 - 1 v 5; 2 v 4 (3 bye)
    MD 4: November 19, 2008 - 5 v 2; 3 v 1 (4 bye)
    MD 5: February 11, 2009 - 4 v 3; 2 v 1 (5 bye)
    MD 6: March 28, 2009 - 2 v 3, 4 v 5 (1 bye)
    MD 7: April 1, 2009 - 1 v 4; 3 v 5 (2 bye)
    MD 8: June 6, 2009 - 5 v 1; 4 v 2 (3 bye)
    MD 9: June 10, 2009 - 2 v 5; 1 v 3 (4 bye)
    MD 10: June 17, 2009 - 3 v 4; 1 v 2 (5 bye)

www.the-afc.com

So, what do you think about this mechanism?
    I think that they should have to take into the consideration the current FIFA rankings, not the rankings of 4 years before. They are not even counting the results of the WC 2010 Asian 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round qualifications, forgetting about last years AC.

2. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    This is good for Iraq, "if We make it INSALLAH"

3. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    So, here is the ranking:

1. Australia
    2. Korea Republic
    3. Saudi Arabia
    4. Japan
    5. Iran
    6. Bahrain
    7. Uzbekistan
    8. Kuwait
    9. Korea DPR
    10. China PR
    11. Jordan
    12. Iraq
    13. Lebanon
    14. Oman
    15. United Arab Emirates
    16. Qatar
    17. Syria
    18. Thailand

19. Turkmenistan
    20. Singapore

4. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    what the ******** is this? jordan china koreaDPR kuwait a head of Iraq,and even bahrain? I know we havent played good this last mounth but come on

5. iraq_foeva_proud

iraq_foeva_proud New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    melbourne, iraq
    bro i think this is from 4 years back, right now we are 8th in asia.

6. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Yes, AFC using the rankings of the 2006, not current rannkings.
    And the ranking which I post above can be wrong.
    I took it from another forum. Does anybody have the correct ranking?

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    All a load of bull in my opinion, the draw mechanism should have been done right from the start. Now it could look like AFC are making things up as they go along.

Or whatever happened to a simple draw where anyone enters any group.

And whats the point in FIFA rankings when they are never used and we simply jump back in time which bascially always favours the previous big boys of Asia making it harder for none world cup entrants in 2006 to overhaul the old guard. Simply put Korea, Saudi and Japan must laugh at everyone else as they will always be favoured.

But then why are Australia number one, whent ehy weren't Asia in 2006? Surely there record is null and vois for this draw??

8. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How would AFC seed us in that case?

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Put you last.

Whats to say someone like Indonesia jumped in OFC for a few years, sneaked into the World Cup and then jumped back into AFC, then would it be fair to seed them as number 1 especially when they were a mid ranking team before, but if they were number 1 then they wouldn't have got stuffed by Syria but they would be a hell of a lot further than they did go.

It's not a good contrast with Australia really because we know they are good, but how can you give them a ranking and a better seed when they were not part of Asia for 2006 world cup.

But to be quite honest, the AFC should have done the whole draw in advance before round one ever started so everyone knew where they stood rather than the bickering that could happen now if someone is given a wrongful draw.

Generally the seeding system favours the big nations, who will just go from strength to strength and the lower ranked teams in this instance for Asia had their world cup dreams dashed way back in August 2007, so they have to wait 7 years to try again.

The draw in my opinion needs to be unseeded just like the FA Cup in England where Australia could draw Japan in Round One and Bhutan could draw Guam, but thats the luck of the draw, in this instance the draw is not luck, but more favourtism.

10. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    An unseeded draw would be stupid. I can imagine it

Group 1 - Australia, Japan, Saudi, Iran, South Korea
    Group 2 - Uzbekistan, Iraq, Bahrain, North Korea, UAE

What a joke...

11. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    "simple draw where anyone enters any group."

bad idea... AFC is considered the weakest confederation, because... well... it is. Each year AFC bickers with FIFA that although Asia is the largest confederation, we get few berths---to this FIFA responds that our representatives always do poorly.

Suppose the "big teams" all get bundled into one group... knock out what measly firepower Asia has to offer and then send a "weaker" team to World Cup...

Guys... World Cup isn't like the Asian Cup. You discount 2002 and the only glorious moment Asia ever had in world cup was North Korea back in '66. South Korea, Iran, and Saudi Arabia who really have been the most consistent World Cup contenders never really do all that great. Now we have Australia and Japan, but these guys are honestly, not really better than SK, Iran, SA... Sure, teams like Uzbekistan will put up a good fight as any in asia. but you put up someone like... well.. i don't want to be villified so I'll let your minds wonder on their own...

Besides, if you think about it, if you don't seed, there is always a chance that your team that isn't seeded gets grouped with Australia, South Korea, and Iran. Well, that sorta sucks for you as much as it sucks for everyone in that group. heh, how is that really fair for the unseeded team in the "group of death"?

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    But isn't that what competition is about? Or would you rather just have an easy route to qualification all the time?

13. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Ending up with a scenario like this one above would be disaster for Asian Football.

14. J-King

J-King New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Exactly... How will this help Asia? The whole point is to send the best teams representing Asia. One can't just compromise the quality and send someone like UAE to the world cup? At least not for now.

15. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the pots more or less anticipated before this announcement? The Korean media was already anticipating that Australia and Korea would be the two top seeds due to their performance at the latest world cup. Although the timing as someone mentioned earlier might smell fishy, but as you know the AFC doesn't do anything right anyway. What's new?

Actually, I would love to see a group like Korea, Australia, Saudi, Iran and Japan.

16. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Australia and Korea Republic can never be in one group, since they are in one pot.
    So, I would prefer to play (Uzbekistan) against Australia rather than Korea:rolleyes:

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Another thing about this mechanism, why do we have two teams placed in seed four? Why can't they split them up now instead of waiting, and then there's Iraq, no matter what rank they would have been doesn't matter, because they get 5th spot either way if they qualify. It's like they were rubber stamped for 5th spot all along just to fit in with FIFA.

18. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Not really since the big five can all be eliminated (I know this will hardly happen but AFC has to take this into their calculations).

19. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Don't really see anything wrong with this mechanism. What's all the fuss about?

20. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    BS. AFC is obviously better than OFC, and in terms of depth it is definately better than C-CAF. No matter how the groups turn out ANY of the "big 5" could miss out - None of them are even guarenteed of getting to the final round yet. In C-CAF Mexico and USA are shoe ins.

So you think we should do the same thing in Uefa. Lets have Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Partugal and Netherlands in one group and only have 1 or 2 qualify for the WC. Fantastic cup that would be :rolleyes:

It's hardly an easy qualification anyway - your still going to have a group with 3 of the "big 5" and then you still have Uzbekistan, Nth Korea, Iraq etc who can cause upsets

Most of the whinging here seems to be coming from smaller teams who want an easier draw and are pissed that they will have either 2 or 3 of the top teams in their group.

21. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    All this means is that AFTER the groups are decided Iraq will swap places with the 5th team in it's group (if not there already) so that it gets the bye when the Confed cup is on. Not a problem really.

22. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    MATCH SCHEDULE (TENTATIVE)
    TWO GROUPS OF FIVE: HOME AND AWAY

MD 1: September 6, 2008 - 3 v 2, 5 v 4 (1 bye)
    MD 2: September 10, 2008 - 4 v 1; 5 v 3 (2 bye)
    MD 3: October 15, 2008 - 1 v 5; 2 v 4 (3 bye)
    MD 4: November 19, 2008 - 5 v 2; 3 v 1 (4 bye)
    MD 5: February 11, 2009 - 4 v 3; 2 v 1 (5 bye)
    MD 6: March 28, 2009 - 2 v 3, 4 v 5 (1 bye)
    MD 7: April 1, 2009 - 1 v 4; 3 v 5 (2 bye)
    MD 8: June 6, 2009 - 5 v 1; 4 v 2 (3 bye)
    MD 9: June 10, 2009 - 2 v 5; 1 v 3 (4 bye)
    MD 10: June 17, 2009 - 3 v 4; 1 v 2 (5 bye)

Team 5 has the advantage here as it is the only match day that isn't a full FIFA date. Playing 1v2 on this date is stupid from the AFC as teams like Australia, Japan, Korea and Iran can have players missing because they can't be release from their clubs in Europe on time.:(

23. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    hahaha... good point. this is embarrassing, but the thought of OFC or even CONCAF didn't even occur to me.

woops, i only counted south america, europe, africa, and asia... where I can be forgiven for forgetting OFC, considering I live in US, it's rather embarrassing I forgot CONCAF.

so mea culpa.

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    When the seeding's were first brought out, Iran were seed 5 and Iraq were seed 12, assuming all teams ranked 1-4 qualify for the 4th stage and Iran also qualify, then they loose the seed that they previously had, making them play on a matchday that they may struggle to get players released for.

The seeds released before qualifying were for previous world cups, and Saudi Arabia were seed 3 and Japan seed 4, but since qualification began, AFC seem to have moved these two onto a par for seed 4.

Why can't AFC keep to what they said from the beginning and if Iraq get drawn to play during Confederation's cup, then simply just re-arrange their outstanding fixture

25. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Very interesting to see that they're putting the final four teams in one pot, instead of just having 5 pots of 2. Weird.

And how is Iran suddenly 3rd instead of 5th? I mean, I know looking at the final 2006 World Cup standings, they should be 3rd. That's not a problem. I bet the AFC just didn't bother accurately doing the rating of the 3rd to 5th seeded teams since they were all just top seeds in the current round, so it didn't matter.

Anyway, here's the likely pots:

1-Australia, South Korea
    2-Iran, Japan/Saudi Arabia
    3-Japan/Saudi Arabia, Bahrain
    4-North Korea, Qatar, UAE, Uzbekistan